Has anyone any experience of the Ma Pi diet?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I came across an RCT study report in the BMJ describing a trial done comparing the Ma Pi diet against a conventional diabetes recomended diet, using registered T2 pateients as the sample cohort. The results of the trial seemed to show that the diet was extremely successful in reducing the effects of T2 diabetes, and also reduced overall body inflammation markers too. But this diet is obscure, and I wonder why it is not being held up as a flagship treatment for T2D. Anybody here know anything about it?
https://drc.bmj.com/content/3/1/e000079

M

Member496333

Hmmm. The control group was consuming the standard recommended diet which is about as bad as any dietary treatment can get for T2DM so it’s not particularly hard to believe. Even without investigating the methodology of the trial :D

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No experience of following a macrobiotic diet but I noted the difference in fibre intake between the research groups (29g vs 21g per 1,000 cals) with the higher fibre group being the ones following Ma Pi
Higher intake of soluble fibre seems to help my bg control and also helpfully raises my Hdl cholesterol. There seems to be wider agreement as to the benefits of higher soluble (i.e. non carby ) fibre intake on T2 diabetes.
See editors note at the end of this
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/201...r-type-2-diabetes,-study-claims-96054636.html

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you. I see the name M Pianese is one of the authors of the RCT study I posted, which may give a clue. The sect is an adjunct to the diet which seems to be a fairly regular macrobiotic plan very similar to WFPB. So the diet could be used without the added slavery, I presume? My own experience of going macrobiotic was not a happy one for me so I admit to a slight bias, but if the RCT is valid, then it should allow further investigation as a potential tool for T2D. However, I do question its safety over long term. The trial itself was only 21 days, after which they found the HbA1c values had major changes, which seems to be at odds with my understanding of how HbA1c works. There must be good reason why this diet is not even considered by NICE et al now, but the reference diet (Mediterranean) used on the trial is a recommended one for T2D.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For those who are interested, this is a link to the Ma-Pi 2 eating plan.

https://docplayer.net/63085434-Ma-pi-2-macrobiotic-diet-daily-meal-plans-and-recipes.html

This includes the 1900 (men) and 1700 (women) calorie intake, including roasted green tea to drink, all veg being seasonally grown, with the fish being locally caught too.

Having read it, I applaud anyone who can eat this way for 21 days.
Sticking to it for life, as a T2 management practice, does not appeal to me in the slightest. But each to their own. I have met people who love eating macrobiotically, so they would be very happy eating on this plan for life.