MeganTetley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hi! I’ve recently started on the omnipod and as much as I love it I’ve been finding I’m not feeling myself dropping low very often
If I do drop I either don’t feel it or I don’t feel it until I’m incredibly low

Did anyone else feel this when they changed pumps? Any tips?

Thanks!

Windham

hi! I’ve recently started on the omnipod and as much as I love it I’ve been finding I’m not feeling myself dropping low very often
If I do drop I either don’t feel it or I don’t feel it until I’m incredibly low

Did anyone else feel this when they changed pumps? Any tips?

Thanks!
Hi, I've been on the omni-pod for a few years and really like it. I had to review and change my basal rates in the early stages as I was going too low in between meals. With instruction, it's quite simple to do this yourself. I also had to change the correction factor if I went too high, as it was too severe. The trick is to only alter rates by the smallest amount and wait before you decide it might need altering again. Likewise, I didn't always notice lows till I became very low, but am now used to it and pick them up a lot sooner.

Reactions: MeganTetley

MeganTetley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I've been on the omni-pod for a few years and really like it. I had to review and change my basal rates in the early stages as I was going too low in between meals. With instruction, it's quite simple to do this yourself. I also had to change the correction factor if I went too high, as it was too severe. The trick is to only alter rates by the smallest amount and wait before you decide it might need altering again. Likewise, I didn't always notice lows till I became very low, but am now used to it and pick them up a lot sooner.
Thank you so much!

Reactions: kitedoc

Jodie Louise

I been on the omnipod from November I have lows which now I catch before it goes to low it takes time but you will get there

sarahdennis87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’ve been using the omnipod since 2013 and I love it. When my renewal came up last year I stayed on it.

In the beginning it’s hard to know what to adjust. With background you need to adjust by the slightest increment (0.05u per hour). It is all trial and error but in the end you will get there. Believe me

If you’re having trouble with hypo awareness though, you could always ask your diabetes team for help. I have the same issue, I have zero awareness, my diabetes team have just managed to get the CCG to fund me a dexcom, I start next week, and I’ve had the libre funded since April (thankfully I hit criteria)

Reactions: Zak786

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
I'm not on the Omnipod but am on the Medtronic 640G pump and I absolutely love it. My blood sugars have never been better. I have noticed the issue of hypo's and not feeling it until I'm really low (whereas before I could feel the hypo coming on straight away when I hit about 4.0/3.9) and my DSN told me that because I have much better control over my sugars and they are lower overall, you don't feel the effects of a hypo quite so soon anymore (you lose hypo awareness). It is a pain but I find wearing a Freestyle Libre sorts this issue out as I can see if my blood sugars are dropping (or rising) and how fast the are changing. Honestly, I don't know how I ever survived without the Libre, it's brilliant. I can also see where my basal rates need adjusting too which is a Godsend! :)

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I love my Omnipod, but it does take some adjustments off and on to keep your BG's at the right levels. I ease off my carb/insulin ratio towards night. The same with my basal rate it's very low during the night, high first thing in the morning as I have dawn phenomenon. Everyone differs, if there is a pattern of when you drop, you can then lower your insulin needs for that. A CGM is extremely useful to learn any patterns for that. I used to use the Libre but I am now on a Dexcom and I do like that it gives a warning at the level you set that you are dropping. That helps stop those severe lows before you know it's coming. There are aps that people use with the Libre for that.

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
Basal testing- we need to do this with any pump. I remember when switching to podding the basal were slightly different then Medtronic’s rates. And I’m extremely insulin sensitive (and prefer it).

Then, hypoglycemic unawareness is a thing. I have it. I’m also not afraid of it. But it is a thing. I just test more, and run my life a little differently because of it.