Desmond's

KTNIC

Has anyone any personal experience of this programme? What does it involve , does it help? My nurse suggested I went on a course, I think it was this one. But I'm not keen on talking in groups etc, but can't get the information on the Internet. Maybe it was because she said it was 4hrs, reminded me of a speed awareness course!

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I went on the DESMOND course within a week of diagnosis, as they had a cancellation, but some have to wait months.
I thought at the time it was useful for me as I was terrified, fearing I was on an inevitable course to increasing failing health and complications.
It did reassure me a bit. But the dietary advice given isn't good for Type 2 diabetics or pre-diabetics. The NHS 'Eatwell Plate' is pushed, and we were told we needed to continue eating starchy carbohydrates. I learnt more after finding this forum, by mistake.
The Nurse conducting the course recommended the Diabetes UK forum, but I found this one.
I think you will learn more about controlling your condition on here than from the DESMOND course.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Has anyone any personal experience of this programme? What does it involve , does it help? My nurse suggested I went on a course, I think it was this one. But I'm not keen on talking in groups etc, but can't get the information on the Internet. Maybe it was because she said it was 4hrs, reminded me of a speed awareness course!

I think my course came after I found this forum, so I was a lot more clued up then most....so I'd say if groups was the issue, perhaps avoid .you'll find out as much if not more on here over a few visits.

I would however, still suggest it as a good exercise if you can take the time for it.
I found it good to physically meet others in the same position..so It was of some use for me, personally.

And I knew nothing about carbs and I learned a lot that day ..but other stuff particularly the diet tips I just ignored.

Reactions: Prem51