Pre Duabetic reading 4.2

Fo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello
I have just woken after 3 hours sleep on the sofa, feeling dreadful, very weak. I took my bloods to check if it was cause and the reading was 4.2.
I had a banana and a couple of crackers with soft cheese and a cup of tea. Feeling a little better now but feel poorly x

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
4.2 is within normal range unless you are taking diabetes medications that can make you go low. Your body may take time to get used to the lower normal levels. Had you eaten properly earlier?

Do test two hours after your snack or before bed to see the effect of the meal. If you feel rough again you may want to half your snack.

Reactions: Fo

Fo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
4.2 is within normal range unless you are taking diabetes medications that can make you go low. Your body may take time to get used to the lower normal levels. Had you eaten properly earlier?

Do test two hours after your snack or before bed to see the effect of the meal. If you feel rough again you may want to half your snack.
Thank you for your reply. No I hadn’t eaten properly at my usual dinner time.
I had a banana and 2 crackers with soft cheese and tested 1 hour later and it was 7.4.
I am finding this very emotional and difficult x

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
A banana and crackers was not a good choice.

That chunk of sugar (for us a bad type of sugar) if you were feeling squiffy from adjusting low may have shot you the other way.

3.2 rise is a bit much. More than you want really. Did you check again at 90min.

Ponchu

4.4 this morning. Carbs (sourdough bread testing last weekend took 4 days to bring this down from wake up numbers averaging 6.4

I had read sourdough might not spike me. It didn’t cause large spike but I remained elevated for days.

Fo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A banana and crackers was not a good choice.

That chunk of sugar (for us a bad type of sugar) if you were feeling squiffy from adjusting low may have shot you the other way.

3.2 rise is a bit much. More than you want really. Did you check again at 90min.
No I didn’t but I did feel better. I realise I need to eat properly and regular thank you

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
No I didn’t but I did feel better. I realise I need to eat properly and regular thank you

I think with prediabetes, that lowering your carbs and sugars levels sufficiently not to cause the high spikes that over time will lead to higher hba1c levels. The exercise and portion size is so important, as with all dietary advice, how much you eat and when will impact on your overall hba1c levels.
You don't have to eat properly. You have to find what is healthy for you. Whether you eat regularly, fast or miss snacks or meals. It is how your body reacts to certain foods.
We are all different, depending on your lifestyle and your health, getting the balance of protein, good fats and carbs for you, is the healthy way forward, if you don't want to develop T2.

Tigernash

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hello
I have just woken after 3 hours sleep on the sofa, feeling dreadful, very weak. I took my bloods to check if it was cause and the reading was 4.2.
I had a banana and a couple of crackers with soft cheese and a cup of tea. Feeling a little better now but feel poorly x

What do you feel is the struggle? is it keeping your number up or trying to stop it from going to low?

Have you been tested for hypoglycemia? worth getting that checked if you feel weak after missing meals and so on.
Always best to rule things out.

Fo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What do you feel is the struggle? is it keeping your number up or trying to stop it from going to low?

Have you been tested for hypoglycemia? worth getting that checked if you feel weak after missing meals and so on.
Always best to rule things out.
I’m still getting used to the low carb duet and managing it. No I am still waiting for a response from my doctor, I haven’t had any guidance yet except for on this forum. X

Tigernash

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I’m still getting used to the low carb duet and managing it. No I am still waiting for a response from my doctor, I haven’t had any guidance yet except for on this forum. X

How low are we talking with your carbs? double check that it's no less that 100g a day.

Tigernash

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Why? What will happen if we go below 100g of carbs per day?

Nothing bad, the individual expressed light headedness
Why? What will happen if we go below 100g of carbs per day?

The individual mentioned they feel weak, and are on a low-carb diet. If there is no medical reason it could be not enough carbs in their diet. I had a couple of clients who where training and eating really low carb diets (roughly 30g a day) they to felt weak daily.

hope that cleared things up

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nothing bad, the individual expressed light headedness

The individual mentioned they feel weak, and are on a low-carb diet. If there is no medical reason it could be not enough carbs in their diet. I had a couple of clients who where training and eating really low carb diets (roughly 30g a day) they to felt weak daily.

hope that cleared things up

I'm guessing that light headedness could be caused by lots of things.. lack of sodium, dehydration etc.. but lack of carbs I really doubt..

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes. Low carbs in itself should not be a cause for weakness. You can get what they call low-carb flu when you first go low carb, as your body adapts, but a cause for lightheadedness after adaptation? No.

My understanding of how we humans work is we need to get enough energy from the food we eat to work well physically. (Yeah, well, I think this is obvious but maybe some folks lose sight of this fact?) Your clients, @Tigernash, should have been getting their energy from fats and protein they were consuming, as it was not from the carbs (they weren't eating). We humans are both fat burning, and carb burning, for energy. This is why it is strongly recommended that when you lower carbs, you raise the fats (and proteins) to be lovely and fit and healthy. Certainly to have lots of energy.