Meaning of carbohydrate "of which sugars"

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Brilliant!! Thank you for posting that, @Antje77 - it will be winging its way to friends who live in Michigan. When they come over here they love the way we say things differently, Warrick and War-wick one of their favourites. And may I ask, do you actually sleep in that bed? Because Verse, aka Your Stripyness (good names, @SaskiaKC!) gradually forces me to the edge, and that's only one cat!

Thinking of Warwick (Warrick), I have a question. An American friend of mine is a big Premier League fan and when we used to watch games together he referred to Norwich City as "NORE-witch." I thought something more like "Norrich". It's a little late for me to be asking as we broke up a few years ago and I think Norwich City was relegated and hasn't come back yet, but I was just reading this post over and got curious again so thought I'd ask.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Oooooo @Mr_Pot that is unfair!!!! But easy when you know how.

NmNdcS.jpg

Reactions: Sue192

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

I can pronounce it (I had a Welsh friend years ago and he was helping me learn) but I can't remember the whole meaning. St Mary's Well by the white pool ..... ?

Americans have our own strange names for places, not so much spelling as pronunciation. People from other places (even other regions in this country) can't always pronounce Arab, Cairo, and the famous one in this region, Lafayette.

But we do have trouble pronouncing Willamette, Puyallup, and La Jolla.

Reactions: slikwipman

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I live in Sint Annaparochie, a small town close to the village Sexbierum, does that count? (and yes, bier is beer in Dutch)

Is Sint Annaparochie like Saint Anna/Anne parish/parochial?

I do like the name of the village. It sounds like the perfect recipe for a celebratory weekend. ;)

slikwipman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Intolerance
I surrender but the yank can’t pronounce St. Louis

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Is Sint Annaparochie like Saint Anna/Anne parish/parochial?

I do like the name of the village. It sounds like the perfect recipe for a celebratory weekend. ;)
Perfect plan, when are you coming?

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
edit: And we need to think of something good to celebrate! Suggestions?

I try to celebrate waking up every morning, getting up, and feeling like doing things (even the days I think I want to stay in, in my pajamas, I usually end up getting dressed and going out). As long as I feel like flying to the Netherlands and celebrating, that is cause in itself for celebration. :)

BTW, don't tell anyone* but I bought some "Dutch Rusks" (what it said on the package) the other day. Lovely crunchy rounds of toast, perfect with peanut butter and coffee. The package says "Product of Holland." I know there's a difference, but which is "correct"? Holland, or the Netherlands? Or is it anything like "US" and "America"?

*Don't tell anyone, because I shouldn't be eating rusks or toast. But these are fairly low-carb.

Reactions: Sue192

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I surrender but the yank can’t pronounce St. Louis

LOL people in my part of the US don't like to be called yanks. Those are from up North. This is the South. ;)

The city in Missouri is pronounced as if spelled St Lewis, but maybe the cathedral in New Orleans is pronounced in the French way.

But then you've got to figure in the fact that people in Missouri don't all pronounce their state's name the same way, just like the people of New Orleans and elsewhere in Louisiana. :)

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
BISS-ter ?
But then you have Cirencester. Which I have heard pronounced Srinster (shock horror!). But it's as it's spelt. And don't get me started on Cholmondeley Featherstonehaugh. Oh, and you can have rusks or toast, @SaskiaKC! If they don't spike you or are low-carb, go for it - I now have a piece of Tesco high protein for eggy soldiers with my Sunday boiled egg, with no problems. :)

Love this really now completely off-subject thread! - it's so great to read posts with interesting facts and insights from all over the world :happy: