Graphic Content Reusing lancets: a cautionary tale.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Sorry to disappoint, @Rachox and @JohnEGreen.
I thought the verbal description could make folks visualise the horror that was my putrid finger. Anyone squeamish! Stop reading now,!!

I was in no fit state to take photos before, as I had a temperature and headache, and all the other trappings of an infection. Sorry, there is not much horror to see now it has started to heal, and is covered with a dressing much of the time. I had my finger numbed, and the cuticle lifted, a bit of poking about and some pus and fluid emerged. Then the finger pad had a small incision, quite deep until I felt a satisfying pop. Then a bit of digging and squeezing. I guess JohnEGreen would have seen plenty of horrific toes. The finger, when the gunk was released felt so much better. The stuff that came out of it was smelly yellowish green goop and a fair bit of blood too. There is a vertical split up the nail, which I think could lift and separate the nail from the nail bed. The fingerpad is just a bit sore now. With a changed fingerprint. Luckily not my dominant hand. Still not an experience I would like to repeat though.
Hi @Pipp, I would not fiddle with the finger nail. It will come off in its own good time !!

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
It is possible that the infection was introduced by that pesky pine needle,

If you google Christmas tree infections" or "pine needle infections" you might never go near a tree again. I was surprised at the variety of diseases they get.

Hope you feel better soon.

Reactions: Pipp

Justin04

A while ago an elderly lady I know well had her pancreas removed due to other complications and hence developed type 1. I’d been keeping in touch with her until one day when we were having lunch with her and her husband and she tested herself, complaining that her fingers were so sore. I asked when she last changed her lancet, and she said “change a lancet?”!!! 3 months since being diagnosed!

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
Due to ordered medicine change I now have to test my glucose daily.

The pharmacy have a sharps bin on order for me but when I was previously using a sharps bin I couldn't find where to dispose of it.
Can you please tell me the answer as previously neither the council, surgery or pharmacy would take it .

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

The pharmacy have a sharps bin on order for me but when I was previously using a sharps bin I couldn't find where to dispose of it.
Can you please tell me the answer as previously neither the council, surgery or pharmacy would take it .
If you use a Fastclix then the lancet drum can be disposed of in household waste (the needles are held within the drum). I think that's the case with other drums. Have you tried Boots for a sharps bin collection, or perhaps a private collector rather than the Council?

D

Deleted member 308541

If you use a Fastclix then the lancet drum can be disposed of in household waste (the needles are held within the drum). I think that's the case with other drums.
Multiclix lancet drums are the same, in the bin they go as they are safe to dispose of this way.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

According to NHS website it is the responsibility of your local council..
https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-qu...w-should-i-dispose-of-used-needles-or-sharps/

If your council is refusing then I would take it up with your local councillor.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pipp, my glucose levels were up over the holidays due to having way to many obligations. I got a paper cut on the cuticle of my thumb one afternoon, and without thinking put my hand in a sink of dirty dish water that evening. You know how that is...the moment you do it you can't believe you did it.

Within two days it was clear I had an infection. Not long after that I scratched myself an inch above the first infection. That developed into a second area of infection. So began a long process of keeping the hands clean and dry, and treating with antiseptic with every change of bandages. I bumped up my vitamin C intake and did everything I could to get and keep my glucose levels down too.

It took quite a while and a huge box of bandages but I got through it. But midway through this process I suffered an abrasion on my other hand. I immediately treated the area as if it was already infected. Thankfully the infection didn't spread to that hand and healed within a few days.

The other 2 infections took a lot longer to heal. Can't remember now but it was more like 1 to 2 weeks. I photographed it daily so I'd have a way of documenting it if I thought it was worsening and would require antibiotics.

I think what I learned from this experience is that higher glucose levels increase infection risk. In your case though, my money is on your initial puncture wound, but I'm going to change my lancet anyway. ;)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Winnie53 , some excellent info. Thanks.
I think the initial injury introduced bacteria. I was then unwise to reuse lancets on that same finger even though the site was away from the injury. I also believe that the small amount of dried blood on the lancet from repeated use could have introduced more bacteria to the area, and / or aggravated the injury and been a weak point for infection to set in. My blood glucose levels had not been high, but I have been generally unwell for a while, and so perhaps vulnerable to infection.

I told the tale to alert others, though appreciate that it is a personal choice whether or not to reuse lancets. I know I won’t be. I will also be extra careful of any scrathes, scrapes or fingernail issues.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fwiw, T1 for over 30 years and initially thought I was saving the NHS money by not changing needles and lancets. When I finally went on a DAFNE course we were shown an enlargement of a re-used needle. Not only was it showing wear but apparently it can interfere with the accurate delivery of insulin. From that day I started having fresh needles and lancets; I do realise that with T1 I get these things free, and that most people with T2 don't and also don't inject. I also realise that finger-pricking hurts less in my opinion with new lancets.

Reactions: Pipp and hankjam

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pipp, before going to bed last night I checked my glucose level one more time. Early this morning, I noticed that the finger I pricked was a bit swollen and tender. Too funny.

It's better tonight, likely thanks to having a healthy immune system. But that got me thinking. I can't remember when I last replaced the lance in my lancet. Perhaps it has been causing problems for a while and I just hadn't noticed...that is, until I read your post.

I dug out my box of lances and replaced the old lance with a new one this morning. Thanks for the reminder. ;)

Reactions: hankjam

ChrisJ_SLH

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Lack of bacon.
It was a new years resolution for me to not re-use either pen needles or lancets again. I was getting too lazy. I'm amazed at how many I'm getting through now that i'm only using them once. Much more comfortable too.