1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Graphic Content Reusing lancets: a cautionary tale.

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Pipp, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @Pipp, I would not fiddle with the finger nail. It will come off in its own good time !!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

No intention at all to fiddle with nail. Too sore. Just following instructions to keep clean and keep covered. At least it looks a healthy pink around it now.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Groundgripper

Groundgripper Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Sorry Pipp, I will be good from now on, and thank you for stepping in:sorry::angelic:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. DavidGrahamJones

DavidGrahamJones Type 2 · Well-Known Member

If you google Christmas tree infections" or "pine needle infections" you might never go near a tree again. I was surprised at the variety of diseases they get.

Hope you feel better soon.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Justin04

Justin04 · Active Member

A while ago an elderly lady I know well had her pancreas removed due to other complications and hence developed type 1. I’d been keeping in touch with her until one day when we were having lunch with her and her husband and she tested herself, complaining that her fingers were so sore. I asked when she last changed her lancet, and she said “change a lancet?”!!! 3 months since being diagnosed!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Serena51

Serena51 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Due to ordered medicine change I now have to test my glucose daily.

The pharmacy have a sharps bin on order for me but when I was previously using a sharps bin I couldn't find where to dispose of it.
    Can you please tell me the answer as previously neither the council, surgery or pharmacy would take it .

8. Sue192

Sue192 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

If you use a Fastclix then the lancet drum can be disposed of in household waste (the needles are held within the drum). I think that's the case with other drums. Have you tried Boots for a sharps bin collection, or perhaps a private collector rather than the Council?

9. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

Multiclix lancet drums are the same, in the bin they go as they are safe to dispose of this way.

10. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

According to NHS website it is the responsibility of your local council..
    https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-qu...w-should-i-dispose-of-used-needles-or-sharps/

If your council is refusing then I would take it up with your local councillor.

11. Winnie53

Winnie53 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Pipp, my glucose levels were up over the holidays due to having way to many obligations. I got a paper cut on the cuticle of my thumb one afternoon, and without thinking put my hand in a sink of dirty dish water that evening. You know how that is...the moment you do it you can't believe you did it.

Within two days it was clear I had an infection. Not long after that I scratched myself an inch above the first infection. That developed into a second area of infection. So began a long process of keeping the hands clean and dry, and treating with antiseptic with every change of bandages. I bumped up my vitamin C intake and did everything I could to get and keep my glucose levels down too.

It took quite a while and a huge box of bandages but I got through it. But midway through this process I suffered an abrasion on my other hand. I immediately treated the area as if it was already infected. Thankfully the infection didn't spread to that hand and healed within a few days.

The other 2 infections took a lot longer to heal. Can't remember now but it was more like 1 to 2 weeks. I photographed it daily so I'd have a way of documenting it if I thought it was worsening and would require antibiotics.

I think what I learned from this experience is that higher glucose levels increase infection risk. In your case though, my money is on your initial puncture wound, but I'm going to change my lancet anyway. ;)

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

@Winnie53 , some excellent info. Thanks.
    I think the initial injury introduced bacteria. I was then unwise to reuse lancets on that same finger even though the site was away from the injury. I also believe that the small amount of dried blood on the lancet from repeated use could have introduced more bacteria to the area, and / or aggravated the injury and been a weak point for infection to set in. My blood glucose levels had not been high, but I have been generally unwell for a while, and so perhaps vulnerable to infection.

I told the tale to alert others, though appreciate that it is a personal choice whether or not to reuse lancets. I know I won’t be. I will also be extra careful of any scrathes, scrapes or fingernail issues.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. hh1

hh1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Fwiw, T1 for over 30 years and initially thought I was saving the NHS money by not changing needles and lancets. When I finally went on a DAFNE course we were shown an enlargement of a re-used needle. Not only was it showing wear but apparently it can interfere with the accurate delivery of insulin. From that day I started having fresh needles and lancets; I do realise that with T1 I get these things free, and that most people with T2 don't and also don't inject. I also realise that finger-pricking hurts less in my opinion with new lancets.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Winnie53

Winnie53 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Pipp, before going to bed last night I checked my glucose level one more time. Early this morning, I noticed that the finger I pricked was a bit swollen and tender. Too funny.

It's better tonight, likely thanks to having a healthy immune system. But that got me thinking. I can't remember when I last replaced the lance in my lancet. Perhaps it has been causing problems for a while and I just hadn't noticed...that is, until I read your post.

I dug out my box of lances and replaced the old lance with a new one this morning. Thanks for the reminder. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. ChrisJ_SLH

ChrisJ_SLH Type 1 · Member

It was a new years resolution for me to not re-use either pen needles or lancets again. I was getting too lazy. I'm amazed at how many I'm getting through now that i'm only using them once. Much more comfortable too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook