Medichecks Fasting Insulin

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I wonder if some people on here just like to obsess about their health. What doctors call the worried well. There seems to be a desire to measure everything, almost in the hope to find some new marginal parameter to worry about and make spreadsheets, draw graphs etc. Having brought BG under control and checked fasting insulin what will be next, kidney function, gut bacteria, haemoglobin levels? We are all going to die eventually, if you don't have symptoms and the routine tests are ok, there must come a point when it is best to just get on with enjoying life or stress might be biggest threat to health.

Well, to be honest....

Sorry, gotta go and check my bg level and fill out the spread sheets and draw up the next graph. :D

Reactions: Shas3

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I ordered the test in December 2017, asked my nurse if she could fill the vial for me. She was willing but decided to ask someone else for permission. The answer came back a resounding no. Something to do with insurance. She did, however, give me the details of a local private GP who would do it for me, for a small fee. Before I could sort this out I ended up in hospital on an unrelated matter, so never went ahead with it. I still have the unused kit and may well give it a go later this year.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder if some people on here just like to obsess about their health. What doctors call the worried well
Obsessing could be why they are well?
If they are here then they've probably been diagnosed with a life shortening condition.. maybe they/we just want to reduce our risks?

Edit to make meaning clearer

M

Member496333

@bulkbiker if I may ask, what was your most recent result? I’m trying to get a handle on what one might consider as a normal reading. There’s a lot of opinion out there and I tend to view mainstream “normal” ranges with suspicion since they tend to be based on current population, which means little to me considering the wave of metabolic dysfunction sweeping the globe.

If you’d prefer not to share your numbers then of course that’s fine. Am I in the ballpark in thinking that perhaps between 3-5mU/L might be regarded as optimal for someone in my position, or is that too optimistic?

M

Member496333

Obsessing could be why they are well?
If they are here then they've probably been diagnosed with a life shortening condition.. maybe they/we just want to reduce our risks?

Edit to make meaning clearer

Indeed. Especially those of us who have been through life changing complications and came out the other side in one piece. I’m happy obsessing over my health so long as it keeps me breathing. What was that again about being tolerant of other people’s choices?

Reactions: Shas3

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@bulkbiker if I may ask, what was your most recent result? I’m trying to get a handle on what one might consider as a normal reading. There’s a lot of opinion out there and I tend to view mainstream “normal” ranges with suspicion since they tend to be based on current population, which means little to me considering the wave of metabolic dysfunction sweeping the globe.

If you’d prefer not to share your numbers then of course that’s fine. Am I in the ballpark in thinking that perhaps between 3-5mU/L might be regarded as optimal for someone in my position, or is that too optimistic?
I'm quite happy to share ...
my last result was 1.06 ... not sure of units..
Screenshot 2019-02-04 at 13.31.05.png

With the note

Screenshot 2019-02-04 at 13.31.17.png

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder if some people on here just like to obsess about their health. What doctors call the worried well. There seems to be a desire to measure everything, almost in the hope to find some new marginal parameter to worry about and make spreadsheets, draw graphs etc. Having brought BG under control and checked fasting insulin what will be next, kidney function, gut bacteria, haemoglobin levels? We are all going to die eventually, if you don't have symptoms and the routine tests are ok, there must come a point when it is best to just get on with enjoying life or stress might be biggest threat to health.
At the risk of putting my head above the parapet, I think @Mr_Pot makes a valid point. To each his own and whatever helps to get you where you want to be, most definitely, but I sometimes wonder if people newly arrived at this Forum from a diagnosis are overwhelmed with charts, spreadsheets, all manner of diets - keto, very low/no carb, meat only etc - exhortations to do this, DON'T do that, check this, check that, and then run away in fear, having already been alarmed by the dx. On the flip side of that is the immense help and guidance so generously offered that, hopefully, the newbies will also find. I fully realise that members who have spreadsheets etc will find them a great help; others might become stressed by the thought, or stressed by the thought that they are doing something wrong because they aren't micro-managing. To those who run charts and spreadsheets, please do not think this is a criticism as it most certainly isn't, rather that @Mr_Pot's point is an interesting one, and one I hadn't thought of. I must admit I find 'data-logging' fascinating and like looking at members' progresses, but I also admit to being a Luddite! Again, I must say that this is in no way a criticism.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I just had the insulin test done in 2017 I got this.

Screenshot 2019-02-04 at 13.33.51.png

Accompanied by this

Screenshot 2019-02-04 at 13.33.59.png

Like you I try to care care of my health.. it's the only one I've got!

Reactions: Member496333
M

Member496333

At the risk of putting my head above the parapet, I think @Mr_Pot makes a valid point. To each his own and whatever helps to get you where you want to be, most definitely, but I sometimes wonder if people newly arrived at this Forum from a diagnosis are overwhelmed with charts, spreadsheets, all manner of diets - keto, very low/no carb, meat only etc - exhortations to do this, DON'T do that, check this, check that, and then run away in fear, having already been alarmed by the dx. On the flip side of that is the immense help and guidance so generously offered that, hopefully, the newbies will also find. I fully realise that members who have spreadsheets etc will find them a great help; others might become stressed by the thought, or stressed by the thought that they are doing something wrong because they aren't micro-managing. To those who run charts and spreadsheets, please do not think this is a criticism as it most certainly isn't, rather that @Mr_Pot's point is an interesting one, and one I hadn't thought of. I must admit I find 'data-logging' fascinating and like looking at members' progresses, but I also admit to being a Luddite! Again, I must say that this is in no way a criticism.

It’s not something that I feel the majority should concern themselves with during the earlier times after diagnosis. Although the priority for all insulin resistant diebateics should be to minimise insulin secretion, really the most effective practical measure of this, initially, can be regarded as reduced blood glucose concentrations.”

“Without wishing to sound pretentious, it’s probably a test that only ‘advanced users’ should bother with. It could very easily and unnecessarily add an extra layer of complexity for most folk.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fortunately, we all get to decide at what level we look after ourselves.

Some people place total confidence in their doc and don't look any further
Some people look further and adjust lifestyle
Some look further and adjust diet and lifestyle
Some look further and educate themselves in things that the doc either doesn't know, or doesn't pass on
Some people choose to monitor health markers
Some people choose to monitor health markers that the NHS does not, due to ignorance, policies, or lack of funds
Some people become experts in their own condition
Some people choose other priorities
Some people consider that prioritising their health is actually an excellent way to enjoy life and enjoy it for longer, with a better quality of life.

Everyone makes their own decision about where on the spectrum they choose to stand.
Also worth remembering that we each have very different health histories, family health histories, and co-morbidities.
So anyone deciding that other members

just like to obsess about their health.

Is clearly not appreciating that other people have valid health issues that require different management strategies than they themselves choose to employ.

Isn't it fortunate that we belong to a forum that tolerates all of those perspectives, and prevents people from mocking and denigrating others when they adopt a different perspective?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also worth remembering that we each have very different health histories, family health histories, and co-morbidities.
So anyone deciding that other members just like to obsess about their health. Is clearly not appreciating that other people have valid health issues that require different management strategies than they themselves choose to employ.
In my post I did say "if you don't have symptoms and the routine tests are ok". Of course people are entitled to do what they think best and makes them happy, but this is a public forum and even if it is not the intention, and whatever disclaimers are included, posts by 'advanced users' are influential, particularly to the newly diagnosed. Having insulin fasting tests that give difficult to interpret results seem to me to be a pointless indulgence - I am sure I am entitled to my own perspective.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In my post I did say "if you don't have symptoms and the routine tests are ok". Of course people are entitled to do what they think best and makes them happy, but this is a public forum and even if it is not the intention, and whatever disclaimers are included, posts by 'advanced users' are influential, particularly to the newly diagnosed. Having insulin fasting tests that give difficult to interpret results seem to me to be a pointless indulgence - I am sure I am entitled to my own perspective.

Yup, everyone is entitled to their own perspective.
Fortunately means that a thread on insulinaemia and testing for it is wholly appropriate here, and members are welcome to discuss it, whether you approve it or not.

Any member, including yourself, is free to read, or not read, threads that they have no interest in, or do not apply to them. This applies to both 'advanced users' and people new to the forum.

Personally, I am profoundly grateful to the member (I think it may have been @andcol ) who first mentioned physiological insulin resistance to me. And to @Indy51 who first introduced me to Kraft and his decades long study on insulin resistance. And then another member (sorry, forget who) who introduced me to Ivor Cummins with his information on its long term effects on heart disease, metabolic syndrome, brain health, and several other health conditions (see video link above). Especially since so many of the general population are insulin resistant for decades before they become pre-D or type 2, and may well be insulin resistant after they have 'reversed' their T2 and achieved non D HbA1cs.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had one done recently along with other hormone tests. Not sure what to do with the information as it seems normal......
IMG_3423.jpg

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Having insulin fasting tests that give difficult to interpret results seem to me to be a pointless indulgence -
Like everything if you have nothing to compare it to then random tests are ineffective. However as a measure of control and monitoring improvements in condition they can be major motivators. Why bother to have your HbA1c measured annually or six monthly? Why bother to do anything? We could just sit back take the prescription and the pills..many of us choose not too.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Like everything if you have nothing to compare it to then random tests are ineffective. However as a measure of control and monitoring improvements in condition they can be major motivators. Why bother to have your HbA1c measured annually or six monthly? Why bother to do anything? We could just sit back take the prescription and the pills..many of us choose not too.
Unless it turns out like the test for total cholesterol which people thought was an indicator of impending doom, leading to them being treated with drugs they didn't need, and worrying about a problem they didn't have.

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Fortunately, we all get to decide at what level we look after ourselves.

Some people place total confidence in their doc and don't look any further
Some people look further and adjust lifestyle
Some look further and adjust diet and lifestyle
Some look further and educate themselves in things that the doc either doesn't know, or doesn't pass on
Some people choose to monitor health markers
Some people choose to monitor health markers that the NHS does not, due to ignorance, policies, or lack of funds
Some people become experts in their own condition
Some people choose other priorities
Some people consider that prioritising their health is actually an excellent way to enjoy life and enjoy it for longer, with a better quality of life.

Everyone makes their own decision about where on the spectrum they choose to stand.
So anyone deciding that other members

Is clearly not appreciating that other people have valid health issues that require different management strategies than they themselves choose to employ.

Isn't it fortunate that we belong to a forum that tolerates all of those perspectives, and prevents people from mocking and denigrating others when they adopt a different perspective?
I'd just like to chip in and say a really big thank you for those sharing personal info on tests carried out, especially those not on the NHS. I find your info of great personal value. Cheers.

Reactions: bulkbiker

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Unless it turns out like the test for total cholesterol which people thought was an indicator of impending doom, leading to them being treated with drugs they didn't need, and worrying about a problem they didn't have.
But according to you there's nothing we can do about it anyway.. so why are you so worried about it?