Canesten cream unavailable for prescription

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I get Canesten Combi on repeat prescription every 2 months, as I suffer aggressive bouts of thrush due to taking Dapaglifozin. I find the pessary helps clear it up from the inside, while the cream helps with the intense itching. See if your GP would prescribe this instead, as OTC costs are in the region of £13 a packet!

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am on meds that increase the chances of getting thrush. Asda own brand is good and a good price but again due to age they won't generally sell it. Have now bought similar product from ebay, 6 tubes of clotrimazole for £6.99 with free P&P! Very happy with product.
Re the age issue, the leaflet in Canestan says not for over age 61 without doctors knowledge so I suppose if they were to write a note confirming you can buy it that may work, or get daughter/husband to buy it for you :).

Reactions: SimonCrox

Gabebd1985

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've tried yogurt before with some results but lately have gone the probiotics route. Basically with diabetes, you have some degree of immunodysfuction at the cellular receptor level that impairs function of macrophages within your lymphatic system, which is why there's a propensity towards fungal infections (especially those that are superficial). With probiotics, the idea is that your microbiome gets slowly restored and some of the natural defenses offered by harmless bacteria that live on your body are conferred to your overall immune system

Reactions: Dearbhla

Nikki72

Not sure if this will help anyone - but I buy my generic canestan (can't remember the name) and flucanozole from wowcher or groupon. You can usually find an offer on either one of them for 3 tubes and 3 pills for about £7 plus postage. Works out cheap and you can always have them in the cupboard for emergencies.

Doreenann

Ever since being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes I have struggled with a fungal infection down below.

The canesten cream clears it up then it comes back.

My doctor had kindly spared me the embarrassment of having to show him every time and I had the item available to custom request for prescription.

However this as now changed according to the doctors receptionist who telephones me earlier and said this and other items now have to be bought over the counter. Has any else heard this and is it definitely correct.

Doreenann

Caneston duo (pill and cream) is a lot more than a prescripton, eg £14 so can be prescribed
I thought Diabetics did not have to pay for presdcriptions anyway

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Caneston duo (pill and cream) is a lot more than a prescripton, eg £14 so can be prescribed
I thought Diabetics did not have to pay for presdcriptions anyway
I think that only applies to diabetes medication I don't think just because someone has diabetes they get all other medications free

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are only using a cream this could be why it keeps coming back (as well as the high bgl cause potentially and partner potential for reinfecting you). You need to treat the underlying infection with either pessaries or pills. Pessaries are localised, a little messy but very effective most of the time. The pills more convient but do have side effects for some.

I just took two days (of 14) of a slightly different antifungal for another issue (after trying all sorts of other remedies) and had such bad stomach pain the dr has taken me straight off them. Not sure what I’ll do next. I’ve successfully taken fluconozole one off tablets before though for thrush.

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
You could try Acidophilus tablets from Holland and Barrett? - I'm not clinical so suggest you read the label carefully first.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I think that only applies to diabetes medication I don't think just because someone has diabetes they get all other medications free[/QUOTE

Hi, It depends on whether the person is on medication. or not. I got all my scripts free, age under 60. Anyone over 60, scripts are free, diabetes or not :)

SimonCrox

I suspect that one tablet of fluconazole in canestan duo is not going to lead to any bother. The fluconazole is a great oral agent for thrush, but it interacts with statins to increase risk of muscle and associated kidney problems from the statin:-

https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/1065/smpc

Statins are under the HMG CoA reductase inhibitors: section, since this is their original group name, but confusing if not aware of this.

So, one might wish to quiz ones GP before mixing fluconazole and statin

On the subject of prescription costs, unfortunately diabetic folk are more prone to get other problems than non-diabetic people, so it seems reasonable to me that their prescriptions are free. For those that pay prescription charges, there has always been the catch that some agents are cheaper than the prescription charge and some of these were available over the counter. "Which" used to do a very useful guide to what was cheaper over the counter if paying prescription charges, but I haven't seen this for about 30 years. I believe that prescriptions are free for all in Wales.

Best wishes

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think that only applies to diabetes medication I don't think just because someone has diabetes they get all other medications free

Can I just correct you? Diabetics on diabetic medication get all medication free, how do I know? Because I do! ;)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
If they are over 60 then they do.

In this case age is irrelevant. If one is prescribed a Diabetes treatment (drug of any type and/or insulin) then all medications are free.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Just to add, a valid exemption certificate is needed.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ever since being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes I have struggled with a fungal infection down below.

The canesten cream clears it up then it comes back.

My doctor had kindly spared me the embarrassment of having to show him every time and I had the item available to custom request for prescription.

However this as now changed according to the doctors receptionist who telephones me earlier and said this and other items now have to be bought over the counter. Has any else heard this and is it definitely correct.
I am over 60 and qualify for free prescriptions that way.

My doctor suggested Daktacort which is a similar product, so I gather. But the point I am arriving at is that he did not prescribe it. And so had to go out and buy it, over the counter in the local pharmacy. If he had prescribed it then it would have been free to me, being over 60 yo.

I did ponder over the occurrence but kind of forgot about it as it was just a few quid. But you have alerted my curiosity again.

Last edited:

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I just correct you? Diabetics on diabetic medication get all medication free, how do I know? Because I do! ;)
But is that only for the over 60's or do the under 60's still get all their medications free even if it is not for their diabetes