Places and things that are pronounced differently to their spelling

Groundgripper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Busy towns and cities, heavy traffic, noisy people, rubbishy televison or radio shows, rap music.
Place names and objects, animals or whatever, that are pronounced differently from the way they are spelled.

(Example) :- Worcestershire said as Woo sti shir

Last edited:

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
Llangollen (Clangothlan)? Any Welsh members please excuse my spelling and feel free to correct.:)

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
A visitor we were taking on a trip around Devon kept asking where ILL - FRACK- OMBEY was. Eventually we realised he had been seeing signs for Ilfracombe.:D

Groundgripper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Busy towns and cities, heavy traffic, noisy people, rubbishy televison or radio shows, rap music.
A visitor we were taking on a trip around Devon kept asking where ILL - FRACK- OMBEY was. Eventually we realised he had been seeing signs for Ilfracombe.:D
Our dearest friend Bruce from Georgia USA says our place names in a letter by letter format, and with different intonation on the pronunciation of certain letters, he and we have known each other for over 20 years now and he still can`t quite get the bemused expression off of his face by what he calls our rapid speech and pronunciation, and why do we have to put all those extra letters " U" into our words when we write, such as the word "colour":)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Which has just reminded me of an American lady many years ago who called the Thames the River THAYMEES - which we renamed as such for several years afterwards...:wacky:

Reactions: dogslife

Groundgripper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Alnwick in Northumberland pronounced An-ik

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
Based on dialects, I’m really glade that this is a written forum. I struggle with some of the words here, but seeing them written does help me to figure them out.

Reactions: Shas3

Groundgripper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Based on dialects, I’m really glade that this is a written forum. I struggle with some of the words here, but seeing them written does help me to figure them out.
You will love this one then:- Magdalen College in Oxford is pronounced :- Maud Lin col idge

Numan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I live in Norfolk and we have loads of these, for example Happisburgh- pronounced Haze-bru, also Wymondham, pronounced Wind-am, Costessey pronounced Cossy is another.

Groundgripper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
And yet, in American English, the word is pronounced Mag (rhymnes with hag) duh (quintessential American sound) len (rhymes with glen)

We would never make it sound equivalent to maudlin
Ah the beauty of the old country and its weird ways, Try this one "Kircudbright" is said - Ker Cood Bri

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
I've heard of the Vale of Beaver. Belvoir!

Groundgripper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Towcester becomes "Toaster" when pronounced