Had a bit of a shock..

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
Well, this morning gave me a bit of a shock!.

Tested myself and almost fell off the chair when my sugar reading was 9.7.

Knew that couldn’t be right so immediately tested again and it was 3.3.

I was aware that the previous 24/48 hours have been exceptionally carb light but that seemed to be on the low side.

Waited a few minutes and did another finger, 3.3 reading again.

Now I am viewing my fingers with suspicion as I have no idea why I spiked so high, and yes I had washed my hands and dried them on a paper towel to avoid any contamination.

Any ideas ?.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I'd be hypo at 3.3....

Probably a faulty strip with the 9.7

3.3 twice and I'd accept that reading, I'd also be experiencing the symptoms of hypo and be trying to get my bg level up quick.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'd be hypo at 3.3....

Probably a faulty strip with the 9.7

3.3 twice and I'd accept that reading, I'd also be experiencing the symptoms of hypo and be trying to get my bg level up quick.
I feel okay. Just not very interested in food. Salad for lunch and nothing else available to eat. Keeping myself hydrated.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Patrick, can I just check that your only diabetes medication is metformin?

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Any ideas ?.

Probably a one off. Just a suggestion, my surgery has a few constant glucose monitors, not sure which ones, that are loaned to patients for a number of weeks. Do you think your surgery might do the same? I've been able to self fund a Freestyle Libre and it's a game changer. For example I know that my biggest issue if the dawn phenomina which can start as early as 0400, a long time before I might have tested otherwise. Just a thought.

Reactions: Patrick66

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Probably a one off. Just a suggestion, my surgery has a few constant glucose monitors, not sure which ones, that are loaned to patients for a number of weeks. Do you think your surgery might do the same? I've been able to self fund a Freestyle Libre and it's a game changer. For example I know that my biggest issue if the dawn phenomina which can start as early as 0400, a long time before I might have tested otherwise. Just a thought.
Unfortunately my surgery doesn’t have those. I’m not too concerned as it appears to have been a one off although I will monitor, ahem, the situation!

Reactions: DavidGrahamJones

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, this morning gave me a bit of a shock!.

Tested myself and almost fell off the chair when my sugar reading was 9.7.

Knew that couldn’t be right so immediately tested again and it was 3.3.

I was aware that the previous 24/48 hours have been exceptionally carb light but that seemed to be on the low side.

Waited a few minutes and did another finger, 3.3 reading again.

Now I am viewing my fingers with suspicion as I have no idea why I spiked so high, and yes I had washed my hands and dried them on a paper towel to avoid any contamination.

Any ideas ?.
Just keep jellybabies or something handy, should it happen again. Hypo's in T2's are rare, but they can occur. That "spike" was probably indeed a rogue strip, so I wouldn't worry overmuch...

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Just keep jellybabies or something handy, should it happen again. Hypo's in T2's are rare, but they can occur. That "spike" was probably indeed a rogue strip, so I wouldn't worry overmuch...
I never keep anything sweet to hand. Not these days. Must admit I ma feeling pretty rubbish today, worse than yesterday.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I never keep anything sweet to hand. Not these days. Must admit I ma feeling pretty rubbish today, worse than yesterday.
Do hope you'll feel better soon Patrick... If you did hypo, and in all likelyhood you did, (as two tests said the same) you can feel a bit off for day or so after. It's normal, though probably quite unsettling for you.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Do hope you'll feel better soon Patrick... If you did hypo, and in all likelyhood you did, (as two tests said the same) you can feel a bit off for day or so after. It's normal, though probably quite unsettling for you.
I may still be hypoing if that's a word. Barely had anything more to eat yesterday than the day before..just not finding anything to enjoy.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I may still be hypoing if that's a word. Barely had anything more to eat yesterday than the day before..just not finding anything to enjoy.
Check your bloods. If you're still seeing three's, it's not about enjoying the food, it's about feeling better. And if food won't go down, try drinking something instead. Take care of yourself!

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Check your bloods. If you're still seeing three's, it's not about enjoying the food, it's about feeling better. And if food won't go down, try drinking something instead. Take care of yourself!
I am drinking plenty. Spending more time in the loo than at my desk. Sleeping very badly (again) though.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am drinking plenty. Spending more time in the loo than at my desk. Sleeping very badly (again) though.
I meant, drink something relatively carby if you're *certain* you're, low and can't stomach food. ;) Do you drink a lot because you're thirsty? And bad sleep can make you go high... Have you checked your bg today?

(When I have trouble sleeping, I have 5 drops of cbd-oil before bed... Only way for me to get back into a groove.)

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I meant, drink something relatively carby if you're *certain* you're, low and can't stomach food. ;) Do you drink a lot because you're thirsty? And bad sleep can make you go high... Have you checked your bg today?

(When I have trouble sleeping, I have 5 drops of cbd-oil before bed... Only way for me to get back into a groove.)
I am just drinking no sugar juice and water- guess there are no carbs there!. No, I am not terribly thirsty and I haven't checked my sugars today because I have a sore throat and am feeling pretty rubbish so know they "might" be high. Though I wouldn't think so given how little I ate yesterday.