Heart Rate

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I know this isn’t exactly diabetes per se though it might well be. But do any of us know about our pulse rate at rest and levels expected. I recently bought a blood pressure monitor that also measures pulse rate and at certain times I am registering well below 60 bpm including low to mid 50s.

Should I be concerned?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The general standard for pulse rates at rest is between 60 and 100. Super fit athletes will have much lower ones.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pulse rates vary with fitness levels, and blood pressure levels too.
They also vary between activity levels, being at rest, and while sleeping.

So they are highly variable, even for a single individual.

The attached link suggests checking with your doc if your pulse is regularly above, or below the 'normal' range.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/fitness/expert-answers/heart-rate/faq-20057979
But I wouldn't get into a worrit about it.
Just raise the subject with your doc and see what they say.

D

Deleted Account

I would also add that it depends when you take your heart rate.
I have discovered my resting heart rate when I wake in the morning is around 48bpm.
It was this when I came round after surgery a couple of years ago. The nurse was surprised but not concerned.

But sitting at my desk in the middle of the morning, it is more likely to be in the 50s.

Reactions: SimonCrox

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have discovered my resting heart rate when I wake in the morning is around 48bpm.
It was this when I came round after surgery a couple of years ago. The nurse was surprised but not concerned.

But sitting at my desk in the middle of the morning, it is more likely to be in the 50s.
Could that be something to do with vertical as opposed to horizontal?

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
My dad has an actual condition where his HR goes up, like really up, when someone tries to check it.
With the advent of smart tec his doctor now checks the history on his watch. He used to have to wear a HR monitor for 24 hrs to get an accurate number.

As a counter my daughters resting HR is in the mid/high 40's according to her fitbit.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The general standard for pulse rates at rest is between 60 and 100. Super fit athletes will have much lower ones.
I am not a super fit athlete. I wish.

I do notice it changes so it has been below 60 and just above 60 but there is a correlation with blood pressure so when the blood pressure goes up the heart rate goes down. And vice versa.

Very odd. I will have to consult the nurse / GP when I see them next.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My dad has an actual condition where his HR goes up, like really up, when someone tries to check it.
With the advent of smart tec his doctor now checks the history on his watch. He used to have to wear a HR monitor for 24 hrs to get an accurate number.

As a counter my daughters resting HR is in the mid/high 40's according to her fitbit.
Ah but she is a young athlete?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Sitting at my desk.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Possibly more important is.... how is your BP?
That also is greatly influenced by posture while measuring.....
:arghh:

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Sometimes machines are not accurate. Have you tried measuring your pulse rate the old fashioned way?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sometimes machines are not accurate. Have you tried measuring your pulse rate the old fashioned way?

Some people just don't sit in the normal range either. For instance every time I have my pulse measured I get one of those looks until I explain that yes my pulse has always been high (I tend to idle at around 85-110. my fitbit often thinks I'm busy exercising when I'm sat at the pub having a drink on a friday lunchtime :)).
But yes the machines don't always do the job - my BP always shows as elevated on the electronic ones but on the old style ones it's perfectly fine at 110/70

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Possibly more important is.... how is your BP?
That also is greatly influenced by posture while measuring.....
:arghh:
I have a good handle on the blood pressure figures. It was the heart rate that caught me by by surprise. It was lower than I expected and when I looked it up, much on the internet suggested below 60 was concerning if one wasn’t an Olympic athlete or the like.

I am sitting at a desk in the recommended posture for the readings.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The old fashioned way. No. I might try it.

The device is an OMRON M3 so supposedly good enough, recommended by doctors and all that. I will take it in for a check when I am in the surgery next.

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
everybody have diabetes he needs to cheek his heart with ECG that can tell him about heart future

D

Deleted member 308541

But do any of us know about our pulse rate at rest and levels expected. I recently bought a blood pressure monitor that also measures pulse rate and at certain times I am registering well below 60 bpm including low to mid 50s.
I use a Oximeter to keep track on what my heart rate is and the saturated percentage of oxygen in the blood. The reason for this I have AFib, and I prefer to see what my heart rate is.

I just put it on my finger and my heart rate is 65 bpm, and my SPo2 is 94 % which is ok, I start to worry when the bpm climbs past 100, and the o2 starts going below 80%.

Oximeters are quicker and easier to use than blood pressure machine.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Uni in September.
I use a Oximeter to keep track on what my heart rate is and the saturated percentage of oxygen in the blood. The reason for this I have AFib, and I prefer to see what my heart rate is.

I just put it on my finger and my heart rate is 65 bpm, and my SPo2 is 94 % which is ok, I start to worry when the bpm climbs past 100, and the o2 starts going below 80%.

Oximeters are quicker and easier to use than blood pressure machine.
Thanks. First and foremost I bought the device to measure my blood pressure. So the heart rate function is an added bonus.

By oximeter do you mean the gizmo you put on the end of your finger? Seems to be. If so I can see what you mean about easier.

Do you find your heart rate at rest varies and if so does it go much lower than 65bpm?