Do I have to stop drinking soda drinks completely?

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to say until I started this journey in January, I lived on diet coke caffeine free. It was the only thing I would drink. I bought 24 cans at Christmas, and started this LCHF on 3rd Jan. I have only just drunk the last can from those I bought before christmas. I would have drunk them in 2 weeks. Bottom line is I have changed, I actually enjoy very weak no added sugar squash. I can't stand plain water...but I've dropped the fizzy and only have tea and squash. It's amazing how this diet changes what you enjoy.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I must admit I drink 'no added sugar' Tonic water. I try to drink +/- 500 mls a day (don't often manage that) as it then controls night cramps. Without the Tonic water, I'm in and out of bed all night with cramp!!! :(

I haven't noticed my glucose levels increasing as a result of drinking it. I have to accept the sweeteners, instead of sugar, of course but I do have a sweet tooth (still) so enjoy the flavour and sweetness ;)

Lily1042

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I must admit I drink 'no added sugar' Tonic water. I try to drink +/- 500 mls a day (don't often manage that) as it then controls night cramps. Without the Tonic water, I'm in and out of bed all night with cramp!!! :(

I haven't noticed my glucose levels increasing as a result of drinking it. I have to accept the sweeteners, instead of sugar, of course but I do have a sweet tooth (still) so enjoy the flavour and sweetness ;)

Try magnesium tablets for your cramp. As long as I keep taking the tablets I have no problem anymore with cramp. Get mine from Holland & Barrett.

Reactions: Energize

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Try magnesium tablets for your cramp. As long as I keep taking the tablets I have no problem anymore with cramp. Get mine from Holland & Barrett.
Hi @Lily1042
Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried Magnesium tablets but, unfortunately, they didn't help so ... back to the Tonic water for the Quinine ;)

LornaFarrell

It’s down to personal choice. From a diabetes perspective its best to give up the ones with sugar in except as a hypo treatment, but diet ones should be fine. Obviously if you discover a particular sweetener causes a spike then you’ll want to avoid that one too.

There are various other considerations like taste, chemicals, environmental and even commercial but you just have to decide how important those are to you. Someone trying to cut out plastic waste won’t want to buy bottles of pop all the time, someone else will feel it’s ok as a treat so long as it’s recycled afterwards. One person can’t stand the sweet taste, another clings to the only sweet treat they allow themselves. Do what works for you.

Anniya84

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Food that is killing me slowly
I have type 2 diabetes, and I enjoy Pepsi Max quite often. It doesn't increase my blood sugar levels (tested myself as was curious if Pepsi Max did raise my levels).