Need advice please as I'm a little confused!

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I test before meals and 1-2 hours after the first bite. Some meals peak within 1 hour and some peak at 2 hours. Is it the 2 hour test that's the most important to see if levels are coming back down, or to make sure levels haven't gone up 2mmol? What if after 1 hour my levels have gone over 2mmol is that still a bad spike even though my levels are coming down again by 2 hours?
Hope this makes sense o_O
Tia

Grazer

Your BGS will peak about 1 hour after eating, so it is quite likely you will be more than 2 mmols higher at that stage. If at 2 hours after its within 2 mmols from the start, that's good.
What are your typical start, 1 hour and 2 hour readings? Although there may well not be a "typical" at this stage!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you ever tested after the 2 hour mark to see if you really are coming down, or staying up there, or even still climbing? At the beginning I believe it is better to ignore the 1 hour level and work out what your BS is doing from 2 hours onwards. The longer it takes to come back to where you started, the worse it is.

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your BGS will peak about 1 hour after eating, so it is quite likely you will be more than 2 mmols higher at that stage. If at 2 hours after its within 2 mmols from the start, that's good.
What are your typical start, 1 hour and 2 hour readings? Although there may well not be a "typical" at this stage!
My typical start is mostly in the 6s (most I've spiked since testing is up 2.3 mmol that's when I've had a carbier meal and that was 2 hours after testing, I didn't test at 1 hour post meal unfortunately. The most I've gone up recently is 1.6mmol either at 1 hour or 2 hours

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you ever tested after the 2 hour mark to see if you really are coming down, or staying up there, or even still climbing? At the beginning I believe it is better to ignore the 1 hour level and work out what your BS is doing from 2 hours onwards. The longer it takes to come back to where you started, the worse it is.
Yes I have and its always coming back down luckily
Right, thank you. I'll just stick to testing 2 hours after the first bite for now

Grazer

That's sounding good Starfish! You're heading for a good HbA1c test next time. In time your starting numbers will probably come down a bit, providing you don't snack between meals, so your peak readings will be lower even with the same amount of increase. Well done so far!

Reactions: Starfish18

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's sounding good Starfish! You're heading for a good HbA1c test next time. In time your starting numbers will probably come down a bit, providing you don't snack between meals, so your peak readings will be lower even with the same amount of increase. Well done so far!
Thank you. I am starting to see some 5s before meals now too mainly 6s though atm

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My typical start is mostly in the 6s (most I've spiked since testing is up 2.3 mmol that's when I've had a carbier meal and that was 2 hours after testing, I didn't test at 1 hour post meal unfortunately. The most I've gone up recently is 1.6mmol either at 1 hour or 2 hours

You are doing really well and are learning which foods affect you the most. That is a good way to go. Your base line levels will start to come down. Well done. :)

Reactions: Starfish18