Need advice please as I'm a little confused!

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I test before meals and 1-2 hours after the first bite. Some meals peak within 1 hour and some peak at 2 hours. Is it the 2 hour test that's the most important to see if levels are coming back down, or to make sure levels haven't gone up 2mmol? What if after 1 hour my levels have gone over 2mmol is that still a bad spike even though my levels are coming down again by 2 hours?
Hope this makes sense o_O
Tia

Grazer

Your BGS will peak about 1 hour after eating, so it is quite likely you will be more than 2 mmols higher at that stage. If at 2 hours after its within 2 mmols from the start, that's good.
What are your typical start, 1 hour and 2 hour readings? Although there may well not be a "typical" at this stage!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you ever tested after the 2 hour mark to see if you really are coming down, or staying up there, or even still climbing? At the beginning I believe it is better to ignore the 1 hour level and work out what your BS is doing from 2 hours onwards. The longer it takes to come back to where you started, the worse it is.

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your BGS will peak about 1 hour after eating, so it is quite likely you will be more than 2 mmols higher at that stage. If at 2 hours after its within 2 mmols from the start, that's good.
What are your typical start, 1 hour and 2 hour readings? Although there may well not be a "typical" at this stage!
My typical start is mostly in the 6s (most I've spiked since testing is up 2.3 mmol that's when I've had a carbier meal and that was 2 hours after testing, I didn't test at 1 hour post meal unfortunately. The most I've gone up recently is 1.6mmol either at 1 hour or 2 hours

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you ever tested after the 2 hour mark to see if you really are coming down, or staying up there, or even still climbing? At the beginning I believe it is better to ignore the 1 hour level and work out what your BS is doing from 2 hours onwards. The longer it takes to come back to where you started, the worse it is.
Yes I have and its always coming back down luckily
Right, thank you. I'll just stick to testing 2 hours after the first bite for now

Grazer

That's sounding good Starfish! You're heading for a good HbA1c test next time. In time your starting numbers will probably come down a bit, providing you don't snack between meals, so your peak readings will be lower even with the same amount of increase. Well done so far!

Reactions: Starfish18

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's sounding good Starfish! You're heading for a good HbA1c test next time. In time your starting numbers will probably come down a bit, providing you don't snack between meals, so your peak readings will be lower even with the same amount of increase. Well done so far!
Thank you. I am starting to see some 5s before meals now too mainly 6s though atm

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My typical start is mostly in the 6s (most I've spiked since testing is up 2.3 mmol that's when I've had a carbier meal and that was 2 hours after testing, I didn't test at 1 hour post meal unfortunately. The most I've gone up recently is 1.6mmol either at 1 hour or 2 hours

You are doing really well and are learning which foods affect you the most. That is a good way to go. Your base line levels will start to come down. Well done. :)

Reactions: Starfish18