1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Need advice please as I'm a little confused!

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by Starfish18, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Starfish18

Starfish18 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I test before meals and 1-2 hours after the first bite. Some meals peak within 1 hour and some peak at 2 hours. Is it the 2 hour test that's the most important to see if levels are coming back down, or to make sure levels haven't gone up 2mmol? What if after 1 hour my levels have gone over 2mmol is that still a bad spike even though my levels are coming down again by 2 hours?
    Hope this makes sense o_O
    Tia

2. Grazer

Grazer · Well-Known Member

Your BGS will peak about 1 hour after eating, so it is quite likely you will be more than 2 mmols higher at that stage. If at 2 hours after its within 2 mmols from the start, that's good.
    What are your typical start, 1 hour and 2 hour readings? Although there may well not be a "typical" at this stage!

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

Have you ever tested after the 2 hour mark to see if you really are coming down, or staying up there, or even still climbing? At the beginning I believe it is better to ignore the 1 hour level and work out what your BS is doing from 2 hours onwards. The longer it takes to come back to where you started, the worse it is.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Starfish18

My typical start is mostly in the 6s (most I've spiked since testing is up 2.3 mmol that's when I've had a carbier meal and that was 2 hours after testing, I didn't test at 1 hour post meal unfortunately. The most I've gone up recently is 1.6mmol either at 1 hour or 2 hours

5. Starfish18

Yes I have and its always coming back down luckily
    Right, thank you. I'll just stick to testing 2 hours after the first bite for now

6. Grazer

Grazer · Well-Known Member

That's sounding good Starfish! You're heading for a good HbA1c test next time. In time your starting numbers will probably come down a bit, providing you don't snack between meals, so your peak readings will be lower even with the same amount of increase. Well done so far!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Starfish18

Thank you. I am starting to see some 5s before meals now too mainly 6s though atm

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

You are doing really well and are learning which foods affect you the most. That is a good way to go. Your base line levels will start to come down. Well done. :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Starfish18

Thank you

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook