Foot cream

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am a T1 diabetic and have been for 7 years now. I know foot care is essential. However I never apply any creams and I would like to start as my feet have become very dry. I wondered of anyone had strong opinions on which is a good cream please? Also is it worth paying to see a chiropodist?

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was at podiatrist a few months ago, I have quite hard skin and dry skin. She told me to try Childs Farm mosituriser, which I get at Sainnsburys. OMG within a month you would have thought you were looking at 2 different feet. What a difference.

My son also suffers from dematitis and it has helped considerably with this

It is for babies and sensitive skin but is amazing stuff

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-...06&gclid=CImd_f6VuOACFQxhGwod2XQOhQ&gclsrc=ds

Reactions: SimonCrox

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Be careful of tea tree oil on bare skin, it can cause dermatitis if the skin is sensitised to certain medication etc.

I know this for fact, as it causes me to break out in it.
Exactly. Just small quantities should be applied as it is strong stuff. The oil is already “diluted” within the cream itself. Just a thin application is all that is necessary.

“Care Tea Tree Oil Cream 25g. Care Tea Tree Oil Cream is a non greasy cream with a wide variety of uses, but is best known for its excellent antiseptic properties. It can be used for the relief of minor cuts, scratches, grazes, rashes, bites, nappy rash and other minor skin irritations.”

SimonCrox

I asked a podiatrist what she thought the best cream was - she said no big deal, just make sure that you use it regularly.
I would avoid anything with lanolin in it (eg E45 cream) cos sometimes folk get sensitised to the lanolin.
Flexitol heal balm is good, as is epaderm, Allpresan diabetic foot cream is an aerosol that can be used on broken skin, and is good.
They can be a bit expensive; would the GP can prescribe something?
Best wishes

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was at podiatrist a few months ago, I have quite hard skin and dry skin. She told me to try Childs Farm mosituriser, which I get at Sainnsburys. OMG within a month you would have thought you were looking at 2 different feet. What a difference.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-...06&gclid=CImd_f6VuOACFQxhGwod2XQOhQ&gclsrc=ds
Child’s Farm for me too. Use it as a body moisturiser also.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.

Yes, this is the moisturiser I use on my feet (and all over) in the mornings after my shower.

Just before going to bed I massage my feet with the cheapest thick body cream that I can find which is usually 89p from Home Bargains. (I can't use the thick stuff during the day as it makes my feet slippery in my shoes.)

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My Podman suggests a high urea content is a good thing... not sure why but happy to follow his guidance.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My Podman suggests a high urea content is a good thing... not sure why but happy to follow his guidance.
Ah. Think I have got that. It links up to something I have been told before and our member @Antechinus mentioned. With diabetes the oils generated inside the skin cease to function so this no longer happens. The urea seems to follow along these lines:

“The urea is then excreted by the kidneys in the urine. Urea is also excreted through sweat, and regular healthy skin has a small amount of urea on the very outer layer. Urea in cosmetics, however, is man-made in the laboratory. Same chemical formula, just synthetically made.”

Seems to fit together.

So our feet cease to receive the urea on the outer skin, so it dries up.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Ah. Think I have got that. It links up to something I have been told before and our member @Antechinus mentioned. With diabetes the oils generated inside the skin cease to function so this no longer happens. The urea seems to follow along these lines:

“The urea is then excreted by the kidneys in the urine. Urea is also excreted through sweat, and regular healthy skin has a small amount of urea on the very outer layer. Urea in cosmetics, however, is man-made in the laboratory. Same chemical formula, just synthetically made.”

Seems to fit together.

So our feet cease to receive the urea on the outer skin, so it dries up.

Maybe we should just wee on our feet.... or maybe not.;)