OMAD and minor observation about fasting

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I'm trying to lose some weight at the moment by reducing the amount and frequency of eating.

At the moment I am having coffee, cream and butter at around 08:00 and then a meal around 15:00 to 17:00.
This was no effort for the first couple of days but now I find that the one meal lays me out!
I'm not eating much bulk - today was a Lidl roll (yes, not quite finished them yet) with tuna mayo and cucumber.

Now I find that after eating I fell stuffed (as if I had eaten a huge meal) and soon after I feel tired and can even doze off. I think some of this is my body going into defensive mode because the food supply has been cut.

I am still losing weight and I'm OK for energy in the morning after the coffee; it's just after the late afternoon meal that I feel stunned.

Anyone else experienced this?

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
I'm trying to lose some weight at the moment by reducing the amount and frequency of eating.

At the moment I am having coffee, cream and butter at around 08:00 and then a meal around 15:00 to 17:00.
This was no effort for the first couple of days but now I find that the one meal lays me out!
I'm not eating much bulk - today was a Lidl roll (yes, not quite finished them yet) with tuna mayo and cucumber.

Now I find that after eating I fell stuffed (as if I had eaten a huge meal) and soon after I feel tired and can even doze off. I think some of this is my body going into defensive mode because the food supply has been cut.

I am still losing weight and I'm OK for energy in the morning after the coffee; it's just after the late afternoon meal that I feel stunned.

Anyone else experienced this?
I suspect you are overdoing the fasting. If you are eating two few carbs or going too long without a meal, your BG may be falling to dangerously low levels. Please see your GP and get a blood glucose meter so that you can test your blood glucose throughout the day.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I suspect you are overdoing the fasting. If you are eating two few carbs or going too long without a meal, your BG may be falling to dangerously low levels. Please see your GP and get a blood glucose meter so that you can test your blood glucose throughout the day.

Well meaning advice, but I do already have a blood glucose meter.
I was given one on first diagnosis over 10 years ago.
Oh, and there is no such thing as "too few carbs" as other posters here might mention.
I was more intrigued by the unusual feeling of fullness which takes a couple of hours to pass.

Reactions: Serena51

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
Well meaning advice, but I do already have a blood glucose meter.
I was given one on first diagnosis over 10 years ago.
Oh, and there is no such thing as "too few carbs" as other posters here might mention.
I was more intrigued by the unusual feeling of fullness which takes a couple of hours to pass.
It's good to hear you are on top of things. I was concerned as you are on medication to reduce your BG. We all need to be aware of the danger of low BG. Do you think your body may have become used to less food, so that even a moderate meal can leave you feeling full? Just a thought.

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey @LittleGreyCat , what do your meals usually consist of? Not sure I have any ideas, really, but it might help others figure things out for you.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @LittleGreyCat what you describe does sometimes happen to me. However I haven’t been able to identify why. Sometimes I’ve put it down to having more than usual in one meal; other times I’m just plain worn out - often my OMAD days are days where I do prodigious amounts of walking. Don’t think it’s anything to worry about.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Try swapping the Lidl roll for food that contains natural fat, or green veg cooked in lots of butter or olive oil, and see if you feel better.

Reactions: Ponchu

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@LittleGreyCat - One of my immediate gluten signals is crushing, and I mean crushing fatigue. I could just sit, looking into space for hours, which isn't usually my demeanour, and in fact I once fell asleep at my desk, whilst writing up a bit of an academic paper. That was all a bit pesky! I also have bloating big-stylee from gluten too.

Maybe try something without gluten in as an experiment?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@LittleGreyCat - One of my immediate gluten signals is crushing, and I mean crushing fatigue. I could just sit, looking into space for hours, which isn't usually my demeanour, and in fact I once fell asleep at my desk, whilst writing up a bit of an academic paper. That was all a bit pesky! I also have bloating big-stylee from gluten too.

Maybe try something without gluten in as an experiment?

Thanks. That is interesting. Hopefully it isn't gluten because the Lidl protein rolls (for the short time my frozen supply will last) are a mainstay of my diet. Filling, low carbohydrate and easy.

For other posters, I haven't been testing pre and post meals at the moment. I shall make a point of testing around the OMAD once I have completed the incoming fast, and post results.

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
I have found a similar feeling. I have been omad for around a month now.
I did find food a bit much at first. Like you.

What I did was eat richer meals in a smller portions. Try an extra butter coffee mid day too. No point feeling hungry or tired.

Last night was 2 lamb steaks (size of a pork loin) some leaks and mushrooms. Leeks done in butter same with the mushrooms then natural yogert and double cream with a big blob of peanut butter on top for afters. That was me very happily full.

Reactions: Serena51

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. That is interesting. Hopefully it isn't gluten because the Lidl protein rolls (for the short time my frozen supply will last) are a mainstay of my diet. Filling, low carbohydrate and easy.

For other posters, I haven't been testing pre and post meals at the moment. I shall make a point of testing around the OMAD once I have completed the incoming fast, and post results.

Won't the Lidl rolls be a thing of history soon, or are you doing Chunnel dashes to restock regularly?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Won't the Lidl rolls be a thing of history soon, or are you doing Chunnel dashes to restock regularly?

I got a third freezer from Freegle and crammed as many rolls as I could get into all three before supplies ran out. Down to my last couple of dozen, now. :(

As far as I know you would have to go to Germany to get more supplies and that would be some road trip, especially as you would have to tour Germany to visit all the Lidl branches with rolls in stock.

Something to do before Brexit (if it happens on time) as well to avoid import surcharges on a few hundred (thousand?) bread rolls.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got a third freezer from Freegle and crammed as many rolls as I could get into all three before supplies ran out. Down to my last couple of dozen, now. :(

As far as I know you would have to go to Germany to get more supplies and that would be some road trip, especially as you would have to tour Germany to visit all the Lidl branches with rolls in stock.

Something to do before Brexit (if it happens on time) as well to avoid import surcharges on a few hundred (thousand?) bread rolls.

It's very doable in a weekend. When I lived in Germany, I'd finish work at about 16:30 Friday, leap in my car, and drive to Zeebruge. About 5 hours later I'd head up from Dover to London. Sunday afternoon reverse course.

I'd get to bed around 3am Monday morning, then up for work as usual.

Oh to be young again. :)

M

Member496333

It seems on first thought that you are not very well fat adapted and that your body is still burning glucose to the extent that you bonk when the immediate supply runs out, leaving you in no man’s land. But I have no idea of your dietary habits and don’t know what a Lidl roll is.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It seems on first thought that you are not very well fat adapted and that your body is still burning glucose to the extent that you bonk when the immediate supply runs out, leaving you in no man’s land. But I have no idea of your dietary habits and don’t know what a Lidl roll is.

Permanent ketosis and I cycle 20+ miles on just the Bullet Resistant Coffee. So "bonking" isn't likely. Straight after a meal is even less likely as I have just taken on board more fuel.

Lidl Protein Roll used to be a favourite on this forum because it had 9 grams of carbohydrate per roll. There was a lot of fluttering in the dovecotes when Lidl decided to stop selling them in the UK.

For example https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/rip-lidl-high-protein-rolls.140209/

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It's very doable in a weekend. When I lived in Germany, I'd finish work at about 16:30 Friday, leap in my car, and drive to Zeebruge. About 5 hours later I'd head up from Dover to London. Sunday afternoon reverse course.

I'd get to bed around 3am Monday morning, then up for work as usual.

Oh to be young again. :)

Doable but perhaps a little expensive?

Just for the heck (nearly typed a bad word) of it I decided to do a quick random price for a trip via Dover using P&O ferries. Going out Tuesday and coming back Thursday. Rough plan; travel out Tuesday to Germany (Aachen). Stop in hotel overnight. Spend Wednesday scouring Germany for Lidl rolls until the car is full or wallet is empty. Another hotel night and return Thursday. Corners could be cut to to avoid the second night but that would be going beyond hard core.

Out £40
Back £42.50
Ferry total £82.50
Mileage (according to Google Maps) 377 (- 34 miles Google Maps adds for the Channel Tunnel) = 343 miles each way = 686 miles @ 30 mpg = 23 gallons.
Roughly 4.5 litres to the gallon so this is about 103 litres.
At £1.25 per litre for diesel this is about £130 in fuel!

So cost of a Lidl roll trip might be around £212.50 plus travelling time, food, and unfair wear and tear on the driver.
Add another £80 * 2 for an hotel overnight. Now £372.50. Round up to £400 to allow for fuel used on the day in Germany.

I would have to buy 800 rolls to get them at a 50p premium (£400=50p*800) on shop price (which I think I have read is currently around 0.67 Euros in Germany). So say £1 a roll including purchase price and transport costs. £1 a roll doesn't look that bad (if you are desperate for Lidl rolls) until you realise that you are going to have to budget £800 up front. Unit cost might come down but up front cost goes up to match.

Forming a consortium to buy, say, 5,000 rolls in one trip might make more financial sense as the more you buy the less the transport costs are as a proportion of the total cost. Roughly, 10 people, 500 rolls each up front at say £0.60 a roll is £300, plus 1/10 of £400 travel and transport costs (£40) means you might get 500 rolls for £340. About £0.68p per roll which doesn't look too shabby.

You would, of course, have to come to an understanding with Lidl Germany beforehand to make sure that they have 5,000 rolls available to collect. The frozen rolls that they bake on site would be a more sensible option. Commitment to bake them all (500) as soon as they arrive at home, then freeze them.

Figures above are an unchecked hack so may be wildly out.
There would be incidentals such as distributing the rolls to the consortium (who might be anywhere in the UK).

Conversely there might be an opportunity for someone to have a day or so in Germany at least partly funded by the consortium. I assume that there would be no issues over bringing that many rolls back in one go whilst we are EU members. Post Brexit anything could happen.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Doable but perhaps a little expensive?

Just for the heck (nearly typed a bad word) of it I decided to do a quick random price for a trip via Dover using P&O ferries. Going out Tuesday and coming back Thursday. Rough plan; travel out Tuesday to Germany (Aachen). Stop in hotel overnight. Spend Wednesday scouring Germany for Lidl rolls until the car is full or wallet is empty. Another hotel night and return Thursday. Corners could be cut to to avoid the second night but that would be going beyond hard core.

Out £40
Back £42.50
Ferry total £82.50
Mileage (according to Google Maps) 377 (- 34 miles Google Maps adds for the Channel Tunnel) = 343 miles each way = 686 miles @ 30 mpg = 23 gallons.
Roughly 4.5 litres to the gallon so this is about 103 litres.
At £1.25 per litre for diesel this is about £130 in fuel!

So cost of a Lidl roll trip might be around £212.50 plus travelling time, food, and unfair wear and tear on the driver.
Add another £80 * 2 for an hotel overnight. Now £372.50. Round up to £400 to allow for fuel used on the day in Germany.

I would have to buy 800 rolls to get them at a 50p premium (£400=50p*800) on shop price (which I think I have read is currently around 0.67 Euros in Germany). So say £1 a roll including purchase price and transport costs. £1 a roll doesn't look that bad (if you are desperate for Lidl rolls) until you realise that you are going to have to budget £800 up front. Unit cost might come down but up front cost goes up to match.

Forming a consortium to buy, say, 5,000 rolls in one trip might make more financial sense as the more you buy the less the transport costs are as a proportion of the total cost. Roughly, 10 people, 500 rolls each up front at say £0.60 a roll is £300, plus 1/10 of £400 travel and transport costs (£40) means you might get 500 rolls for £340. About £0.68p per roll which doesn't look too shabby.

You would, of course, have to come to an understanding with Lidl Germany beforehand to make sure that they have 5,000 rolls available to collect. The frozen rolls that they bake on site would be a more sensible option. Commitment to bake them all (500) as soon as they arrive at home, then freeze them.

Figures above are an unchecked hack so may be wildly out.
There would be incidentals such as distributing the rolls to the consortium (who might be anywhere in the UK).

Conversely there might be an opportunity for someone to have a day or so in Germany at least partly funded by the consortium. I assume that there would be no issues over bringing that many rolls back in one go whilst we are EU members. Post Brexit anything could happen.

That'd have to be one strong addiction to Lidl rolls!

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
You should count your blessings.

Not much different to munching on a carpet tile :bag:

I've never tried munching on a carpet tile, but I do enjoy the Lidl protein rolls.
Especially when run under the cold tap then heated in an oven at 150C for 10 minutes.
This is, in fact, a generic way to give bread the freshly baked feel and taste.

Oh, are carpet tiles low carbohydrate? Could be added to the list. :D