OMAD and minor observation about fasting

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a heck of a lot of gluten in those rolls. I think it is the main glue that holds them together. So @DCUKMod's suggestion is a possibility. I stopped eating them for that very reason.

Sleepy, yawny, brain dead, brain foggy needing to snooze is a reaction I get to whey, and soy but not gluten. Gluten does other things to me (she says, darkly). So it may be a food intolerance, even if not to gluten.

There was a while when I couldn't understand why I was STILL sleepy after meals, when my blood glucose was rock solid. Turned out to be the whey or soy ingredients in the food.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
There is a heck of a lot of gluten in those rolls. I think it is the main glue that holds them together. So @DCUKMod's suggestion is a possibility. I stopped eating them for that very reason.

Sleepy, yawny, brain dead, brain foggy needing to snooze is a reaction I get to whey, and soy but not gluten. Gluten does other things to me (she says, darkly). So it may be a food intolerance, even if not to gluten.

There was a while when I couldn't understand why I was STILL sleepy after meals, when my blood glucose was rock solid. Turned out to be the whey or soy ingredients in the food.

Only problem is that I had a very similar response to my own variant of Poutine.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poutine
In my case, left over cauliflower cooked with left over beef stew gravy all reduced down until sticky then some grated cheese sprinkled on top.
Very tasty, but sat on my stomach like a lump of lead and made me very sleepy.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well meaning advice, but I do already have a blood glucose meter.
I was given one on first diagnosis over 10 years ago.
Oh, and there is no such thing as "too few carbs" as other posters here might mention.
I was more intrigued by the unusual feeling of fullness which takes a couple of hours to pass.

I think there IS such a thing as 'too few carbs' as in too few for an individual.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think there IS such a thing as 'too few carbs' as in too few for an individual.

How would one know they'd eaten too few?

This is a genuine question BTW, I'm not looking for an argument.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How would one know they'd eaten too few?

This is a genuine question BTW, I'm not looking for an argument.

Hi there, I think it is a question of finding the balance, ie, that which keeps your glucose levels at a level you are happy with and that which makes you feel good, in a physical and a mental way. I went through a period of eating virtually no carbs and although it kept my levels low, I didn't feel great on it from a mental perspective more than anything. I felt as though I would fall into a hypo at any given moment and to be honest, I missed not even being able to eat a carrot. I upped it to around 60 carbs which enabled me to include a slice of toast or some veg, etc. The 'depression' on no carb indicated to me I was eating too few (for me), it wasn't a nutritional thing really as I know you can go without but more a holistic approach. Hope that explains it.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi there, I think it is a question of finding the balance, ie, that which keeps your glucose levels at a level you are happy with and that which makes you feel good, in a physical and a mental way. I went through a period of eating virtually no carbs and although it kept my levels low, I didn't feel great on it from a mental perspective more than anything. I felt as though I would fall into a hypo at any given moment and to be honest, I missed not even being able to eat a carrot. I upped it to around 60 carbs which enabled me to include a slice of toast or some veg, etc. The 'depression' on no carb indicated to me I was eating too few (for me), it wasn't a nutritional thing really as I know you can go without but more a holistic approach. Hope that explains it.

I think that a T1 requirement for carbs may not translate directly to T2s.

Blood Glucose needs can be met fully from protein and fat so carbohydrate is not an essential food source, unlike protein and fat.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@KK123 thanks for the explanation

Personally I’ve never experienced a Hypo so can’t properly empathise but I can imagine that is must be awful and feeling like one is possible can’t be great.

For me, once I was over the carb flu I don’t miss eating carbs although I do have to eat plenty of veggies.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got a third freezer from Freegle and crammed as many rolls as I could get into all three before supplies ran out. Down to my last couple of dozen, now. :(

As far as I know you would have to go to Germany to get more supplies and that would be some road trip, especially as you would have to tour Germany to visit all the Lidl branches with rolls in stock.

Something to do before Brexit (if it happens on time) as well to avoid import surcharges on a few hundred (thousand?) bread rolls.

@Debandez found some in Lidl in Dublin recently

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Debandez found some in Lidl in Dublin recently

Darn and poot!!
We were in Ireland (North and South) in 2017 and Lidl didn't stock the rolls at the time.
I wrote to both organisations to complain and got the standard "your views are valuable to us" response.
Strange that they now stock them and the mainland don't.