Weight Watcher getting crushed by Keto

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/02/27/...rnings-stock-ww-oprah-winfrey-keto/index.html

Diet Doctor gets honorable mention...

upload_2019-2-28_16-9-13.png

Last edited:
Reactions: WitchettyGrub

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I think that's pretty cool.... things are gaining some momentum.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Oprah has struggled with her weight for a very long time, yoyo-ing over the years. Proof positive that restricting calories only (even when you're rich enough to employ a resident chef and a personal trainer) does not work for the majority of people in the long term.

This article leads me to wonder whether Oprah will now come out all guns blazing against Keto in order to protect her investment. While I feel sorry for the layperson whose job relies on WW (manufacturing as well as group leaders) I can't say I would be sad to see WW bite the dust.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is an encouraging trend that there is a growing awareness of low carbs and keto.

Hopefully, it truly becomes the "cultural mean" within the next few years and renders most of these weightloss outfit and diabetes org, including ADA, redundant.

Reactions: Guzzler
M

Member496333

If it’s true that “we are the program that works” then why might it be that everyone I’ve ever known who has used Weight Watchers has either been using them half their life as they endlessly rebound, or has given up? Anecdotal perhaps, but I’d suggest that if their approach really did work then their stock wouldn’t have tanked 80% under the pressure of keto.

This is actually great news for those of us who know better. Just watch the money start moving. Money is everything and food companies and investors aren’t stupid.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
It is an encouraging trend that there is a growing awareness of low carbs and keto.

Hopefully, it truly becomes the "cultural mean" within the next few years and renders most of these weightloss outfit and diabetes org, including ADA, redundant.

I don't think they want to become redundant, so it's either fight back using the usual fear tactics or take a similar approach to the low carbing/keto way. Gradually fit in to stay relevant.

Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
If it’s true that “we are the program that works” then why might it be that everyone I’ve ever known who has used Weight Watchers has either been using them half their life as they endlessly rebound, or has given up? Anecdotal perhaps, but I’d suggest that if their approach really did work then their stock wouldn’t have tanked 80% under the pressure of keto.

This is actually great news for those of us who know better. Just watch the money start moving. Money is everything and food companies and investors aren’t stupid.

Aye, keep an eye out for fake keto foods or stuff said to 'mimic' the keto woe.

M

Member496333

The entire concept of watching weight makes me laugh. If we need to be “weight watchers” then we are literally the only creatures in the entire animal kingdom that will die if we don’t count calories and weigh ourselves once a day :hilarious:

Reactions: RAPS_od and Guzzler
D

Deleted Account

The entire concept of watching weight makes me laugh. If we need to be “weight watchers” then we are literally the only creatures in the entire animal kingdom that will die if we don’t count calories and weigh ourselves once a day :hilarious:
Haven't they realise that and rebranded to "WW" now? "The company says the new name reflects its development from focusing on weight loss to overall health and wellness."

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I will "wait and watch", either they will embrace or they will fight. In their position embracing would in my view put that at number 1. They have credibility in the eyes of the general public (inspite of long term results), lots of industry ties and they have a massive address book. If they endorsed Keto, they could re-sell to existing customers and attract many in our space as their programme would be "beautiful" (great App, support etc). The problem for us would be I would expect "their" potential version of Keto to be "dirty". Just me theorising.

Reactions: kokhongw

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Low Carb has been the “secret” diet used to remain thin by the rich and famous, celebrities and film stars for decades. Why it has remained so non-mainstream for so long is a mystery (or conspiracy )

Hopefully that will change and everyone will find out the “secret” to health and happiness.

M

Member496333

I think a major problem is that you can’t really “sell” a properly formulated diet consisting of foods that are made by the planet. As has already been alluded to by others, if food companies begin latching onto keto, it will have to be all about pre-packaged meals and dirty junk. There isn’t much money in real, whole ingredients. Moreover, not many people are actually interested in combining them into a meal themselves. I foresee an entire industry based around processed garbage with “keto friendly” emblazoned across the packaging.

Food “manufacturers” is the key. Manufacturing food...mother nature makes my food...but I suspect the majority will never share this view and would prefer a quick “weight loss in a box” that may give them the results they desire but probably won’t make them very healthy. For starters you can absolutely guarantee that any LCHF processed food will get its fat content from carcinogenic pro inflammatory toxic waste oils.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think a major problem is that you can’t really “sell” a properly formulated diet consisting of foods that are made by the planet. As has already been alluded to by others, if food companies begin latching onto keto, it will have to be all about pre-packaged meals and dirty junk. There isn’t much money in real, whole ingredients. Moreover, not many people are actually interested in combining them into a meal themselves. I foresee an entire industry based around processed garbage with “keto friendly” emblazoned across the packaging.

Food “manufacturers” is the key. Manufacturing food...mother nature makes my food...but I suspect the majority will never share this view and would prefer a quick “weight loss in a box” that may give them the results they desire but probably won’t make them very healthy. For starters you can absolutely guarantee that any LCHF processed food will get its fat content from carcinogenic pro inflammatory toxic waste oils.
Could not agree more..

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will "wait and watch", either they will embrace or they will fight. In their position embracing would in my view put that at number 1. They have credibility in the eyes of the general public (inspite of long term results), lots of industry ties and they have a massive address book. If they endorsed Keto, they could re-sell to existing customers and attract many in our space as their programme would be "beautiful" (great App, support etc). The problem for us would be I would expect "their" potential version of Keto to be "dirty". Just me theorising.

I was thinking about that possibility...but I think they are looking at maintaining customers with recurring revenue instead of being on a mission to truly restore health...Hence a CICO model works to their benefit. You will rebound and return...