Proliferative Retinopathy - Lots Of Vitreous Haemorrhages

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Brilliant news on the fact that you have finally turned the corner with the Retinopathy, I hope that you enjoy your running and yoga!!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant news.
Sorry you had to go through so much to get to this point, but very glad you got there!

Pippa1988

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I realise your original post is some time ago now but I have just read this and it sounds very similar to what is happening to me right now.... I’m 31, diabetic for 27 years this year. Only ever had background retinopathy and attended every annual screen. On Sunday I had a vitreous haemorrhage in my right eye and now I can’t see. I’ve had one lot of laser and have to go back again on Monday. I’m terrified, I can’t stop crying and I still can’t see. How long did it take for your haemorrhage to clear? Im so frustrated as my diabetes is the best it has ever been- I’ve recently lost 12kg, cut down on alcohol massively and my sugars have been pretty good. I don’t understand it..

Dark Horse

Hi, I realise your original post is some time ago now but I have just read this and it sounds very similar to what is happening to me right now.... I’m 31, diabetic for 27 years this year. Only ever had background retinopathy and attended every annual screen. On Sunday I had a vitreous haemorrhage in my right eye and now I can’t see. I’ve had one lot of laser and have to go back again on Monday. I’m terrified, I can’t stop crying and I still can’t see. How long did it take for your haemorrhage to clear? Im so frustrated as my diabetes is the best it has ever been- I’ve recently lost 12kg, cut down on alcohol massively and my sugars have been pretty good. I don’t understand it..
Sometimes a sudden improvement in diabetic control can lead to a temporary increase in diabetic retinopathy but the good news is that in the long term it reduces the risk of further retinopathy. As you have been attending eye screening regularly, the disease has been caught early and you are receiving the appropriate treatment. Just make sure you go to all your ophthalmology appointments and keep on with your efforts at good diabetic control.

More info here:-
http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/retinopathyprogression.htm
http://diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/proliferative.html

Pippa1988

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry to post again but does anyone know if there is any reason why I shouldn’t wear my contact lenses at the moment? I forgot to ask at the eye clinic

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Sorry to post again but does anyone know if there is any reason why I shouldn’t wear my contact lenses at the moment? I forgot to ask at the eye clinic
Hi @Pippa1988 I would suggest you phone the Hospital on a day when you know the diabetic/ophthalmology clinic is running. The Hospital should put you through to the clinic, even if you have to wait through the same piece of music 80 times! Good luck

Reactions: Pippa1988

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hey all!

Thought I’d update this post with what has happened with my proliferative retinopathy since I last posted in September and what I’ve learnt.

Despite numerous laser sessions in the left eye I had too many vitreous haemorrhages and my visual acuity went down to “hand movements only” and my vision was just grey cloudiness where my vitreous was filled with blood and from the traction into my optic disc (where my vitreous was starting to pull away from my retina). I ended up having a vitrectomy with an ILM peel and endolaser in November. My vision in that eye 2 months later is dramatically improved but still poor at 6/36, I can’t read through that eye at all but I can see everything else, I have my “widescreen” vision back, my depth and distance vision has returned too. It’s just a bit hazy.

The medical retinal team examined my eyes at the beginning of January and said that at age 40, I had the beginning of bilateral cataracts and this was causing the haziness but I saw the Vitreo-retinal surgeon last week and he disagreed saying there was not much of a cataract in either eye but that not all the vitreous is removed during vitrectomy and I still had some over my lens and this still contained red blood cells from the previous haemorrhages but that they should clear over time. He also said that diabetic eyes are often protected from cataracts as they are caused by oxygen on the lens and diabetic eyes tend to lack oxygenation.

The good news is I’m now considered a low risk patient. He said that I have what they call “burnt out retinopathy”, meaning I’ve had enough laser in both eyes to completely burn away the disease and that I shouldn’t need any more treatment. No more laser for sure, potentially more surgery if the haemorrhage in the remaining vitreous doesn’t clear but my eyesight is now out of danger 9 months after my first vitreous haemorrhage.

It’s such a relief. I’m back out running, coming first in age category in my local parkrun regularly and going upside down in yoga where I wasn’t allowed to during my retinopathy journey.

I wanted to share my experience so that anyone who is just starting out with a diagnosis and treatment can feel re-assured that there is so much that can be done to save our sight. The fear and hell that I went through last summer is still very fresh in my mind so I’m hoping this can be of some help to others!
Thankyou for your updated posts. A huge help. :)

runningwitht1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi Pippa,

Sorry for the delayed reply - I don’t log in that often!

Please try not to worry, I know it’s hard (when it all started happening to me last May/June I spent much of my time crying and being terrified and convinced I was going to go blind). There is so much they can do now to help us.

My first haemorrhage took a couple of weeks to clear but unfortunately pretty much as soon as it cleared I got another and then another and they just never cleared which was why I needed a vitrectomy as they could not laser through such a dense haemorrhage and it had caused a lot of traction into the optic disc. It was pretty scary and I was convinced I’d never see again through the left eye as it was like looking into a grey overcast sky all the time but it was amazing to take the eye pad off the next day and see hazy colours and shapes again.

Hope your haemorrhage clears soon and they can get enough laser done to stabilise your retinopathy but please be assured that even if it doesn’t there is lots more your eye team will be able to do to restore your vision

Pippa1988

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for your response! I’m sorry I only just saw it. I’ve had 2 lots of laser now. I’ve sought out a private opinion and I’m going to be having some injections as I was concerned about the risk to peripheral vision as i would need laser in both eyes. How soon were you allowed to exercise? I’m bored stiff!!