1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Proliferative Retinopathy - Lots Of Vitreous Haemorrhages

Discussion in 'Diabetic Retinopathy' started by runningwitht1, Jun 10, 2018.

1. johnpol

johnpol Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Brilliant news on the fact that you have finally turned the corner with the Retinopathy, I hope that you enjoy your running and yoga!!

2. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

Brilliant news.
    Sorry you had to go through so much to get to this point, but very glad you got there!

3. Pippa1988

Pippa1988 Type 1 · Member

Hi, I realise your original post is some time ago now but I have just read this and it sounds very similar to what is happening to me right now.... I’m 31, diabetic for 27 years this year. Only ever had background retinopathy and attended every annual screen. On Sunday I had a vitreous haemorrhage in my right eye and now I can’t see. I’ve had one lot of laser and have to go back again on Monday. I’m terrified, I can’t stop crying and I still can’t see. How long did it take for your haemorrhage to clear? Im so frustrated as my diabetes is the best it has ever been- I’ve recently lost 12kg, cut down on alcohol massively and my sugars have been pretty good. I don’t understand it..

4. Dark Horse

Dark Horse · Well-Known Member

Sometimes a sudden improvement in diabetic control can lead to a temporary increase in diabetic retinopathy but the good news is that in the long term it reduces the risk of further retinopathy. As you have been attending eye screening regularly, the disease has been caught early and you are receiving the appropriate treatment. Just make sure you go to all your ophthalmology appointments and keep on with your efforts at good diabetic control.

More info here:-
    http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/retinopathyprogression.htm
    http://diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/proliferative.html

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Pippa1988

Sorry to post again but does anyone know if there is any reason why I shouldn’t wear my contact lenses at the moment? I forgot to ask at the eye clinic

6. Grant_Vicat

Grant_Vicat Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

Hi @Pippa1988 I would suggest you phone the Hospital on a day when you know the diabetic/ophthalmology clinic is running. The Hospital should put you through to the clinic, even if you have to wait through the same piece of music 80 times! Good luck

• Like Like x 1
  7. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

Thankyou for your updated posts. A huge help. :)

8. runningwitht1

runningwitht1 Type 1 · Member

Hi Pippa,

Sorry for the delayed reply - I don’t log in that often!

Please try not to worry, I know it’s hard (when it all started happening to me last May/June I spent much of my time crying and being terrified and convinced I was going to go blind). There is so much they can do now to help us.

My first haemorrhage took a couple of weeks to clear but unfortunately pretty much as soon as it cleared I got another and then another and they just never cleared which was why I needed a vitrectomy as they could not laser through such a dense haemorrhage and it had caused a lot of traction into the optic disc. It was pretty scary and I was convinced I’d never see again through the left eye as it was like looking into a grey overcast sky all the time but it was amazing to take the eye pad off the next day and see hazy colours and shapes again.

Hope your haemorrhage clears soon and they can get enough laser done to stabilise your retinopathy but please be assured that even if it doesn’t there is lots more your eye team will be able to do to restore your vision

• Like Like x 1
  9. Pippa1988

Thank you for your response! I’m sorry I only just saw it. I’ve had 2 lots of laser now. I’ve sought out a private opinion and I’m going to be having some injections as I was concerned about the risk to peripheral vision as i would need laser in both eyes. How soon were you allowed to exercise? I’m bored stiff!!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook