Carbs in bacon & Diabetic animals.

Klpville

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I dislike all sorts of motors, engines, mechanics, and just any "rusty iron" in general.
Assuming that you dissolve the soluble stuff - nitrates and nitrites are usually very soluble, sugars commonly found in foods and processing are too. The things which remain are the starches, not soluble. They do not become fluid with heat - quite the reverse, they set solid (I used to work for Allied Lyons the food people in their development lab in Market Harborough). When you heat up food the GI and glucose do not alter unless you are using amylase to break down starch - the carb content doesn't alter but the glucose can then be used by yeasts at fermentation temperatures. Temperatures reached in cooking would not allow fermentation.
You can turn carbs into fats by feeding them to animals, or eating them yourself, or they can make useful bait for fish and various animals....

This is all great an all but why doesn't somebody come up with an idea of "removing" all the carbs and sugars before we eat it, not after. For example you inject some insulin into a banana or feed that banana some pills somehow and only then eat it being completely sugar/carbs free. Why do we first have to eat it and only then take metformin and stuff to reduce / kill our raised glucose levels? Wouldn't it be better to do it the other way around? It's safer to experiment on food than on people. I think we should bring this idea up so that endocrinologists, scientists, and everybody else involved in curing diabetes could think about it. There are so many modern pills, tablets, potions, and mixtures that do "miracles" to our bodies by modifying basically any chemical processes you can think of. I believe it wouldn't be that hard for a well-schooled chemist or a scientist to invent some injections that would kill sugars and carbs in any products.

Klpville

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I dislike all sorts of motors, engines, mechanics, and just any "rusty iron" in general.
In some countries they favour a sweet cure for their bacon products, but generally in UK we don't. Our butcher sells a sweet cure bacon as an option, and I would say by the time it gets to the plate the cure is likely to have been washed off at some stage of the pig to table process. It's just not a flavour I prefer.

It is possible to make bacon at home from belly, middle or back cuts of pork, but it takes a while, and I've elected not to go down that route so far

Right, thank you DCUKMod. Well, I have now switched to a double-boiler for all the meals I cook. I bought one yesterday. There is going to be a new sheriff-(chef)- in town :) It will evaporate all the nasty stuff including extra sugars (I hope) and make my meals as dietary and healthy as they can only be. I will also try to evaporate all the sugars from local bacon. Do you happen to know if there are any ways to measure sugars/carbs in products at home? Let's say some kind of a "thermometer" that I would stick into my bacon after double-boiling it so that it would show current sugars/carbs in it? Many thanks!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Right, thank you DCUKMod. Well, I have now switched to a double-boiler for all the meals I cook. I bought one yesterday. There is going to be a new sheriff-(chef)- in town :) It will evaporate all the nasty stuff including extra sugars (I hope) and make my meals as dietary and healthy as they can only be. I will also try to evaporate all the sugars from local bacon. Do you happen to know if there are any ways to measure sugars/carbs in products at home? Let's say some kind of a "thermometer" that I would stick into my bacon after double-boiling it so that it would show current sugars/carbs in it? Many thanks!

There's nothing like you suggest available, and affordable, to my knowledge. I would say your best bet is to test our blood sugars a lot, then provided the rise you see 2 hours after eating is acceptable (usually less than a rise of 2 points, on the
UK scale), then you're good with that foodstuff.

If the rise is more, then you need less of it, or to give it up.

I call that eating to my meter. That worked out very well for me, and many others

Klpville

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
You can turn carbs into fats by feeding them to animals, or eating them yourself, or they can make useful bait for fish and various animals....

Hmmm... that made me wonder can a fish or a pig become diabetic if we regularly feed carbs and sugars to them? Then, if we eat that fish or a piece of pork we'll have our blood sugars going high won't we? Can an animal that we might eat later (chicken, pigs, fish, etc.) theoretically be a diabetic at all? Are all of them high-blood-sugar-proof no matter what?

For example sharks are totally immune to cancer. Scientists even injected sharks with killer doses of cancer cells for testing purposes and after some time there were to traces of these cells anywhere in them at all. This mystery is still unsolved.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Animals such as pigs, fed a high carb diet, tend to lie around and snooze a lot - if they are fed a diet with more protein and fat then they are a lot livelier. The breeding stock are fed a different diet to those being fattened for slaughter, and of course the animals are killed at a young age, for human consumption.

Klpville

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Animals such as pigs, fed a high carb diet, tend to lie around and snooze a lot - if they are fed a diet with more protein and fat then they are a lot livelier. The breeding stock are fed a different diet to those being fattened for slaughter, and of course the animals are killed at a young age, for human consumption.

I think young age doesn't necessarily mean diabetes free. People (as well as animals?) can be diagnosed diabetes either being just 1 year old or 70 years old. Is that not right? What I am trying to say is that a pig fed a high carb diet will have all these carbs in its meat. Then we'll eat that meat stuffed and crammed with carbs. However, we all know that pretty much any meat is low carb. Now where do all these carbs disappear when a pig is fed high carb diet and then its meat is served on our tables afterwards?

M

Member496333

I think young age doesn't necessarily mean diabetes free. People (as well as animals?) can be diagnosed diabetes either being just 1 year old or 70 years old. Is that not right? What I am trying to say is that a pig fed a high carb diet will have all these carbs in its meat. Then we'll eat that meat stuffed and crammed with carbs. However, we all know that pretty much any meat is low carb. Now where do all these carbs disappear when a pig is fed high carb diet and then its meat is served on our tables afterwards?

Excess glucose in their body is converted into fat by the liver through a process called de novo lipogenesis. This is how they are fattened with carbohydrate. They will only become diabetic if the body runs out of storage in adipocytes (fat cells) at which point the glucose begins to spill into the blood and tissues, thus engorging the rest of the body’s cells with it. Prior to that point they would just get fatter and fatter. Marbling of meats is achieved by feeding animals high grain diets, and is in fact intramuscular fat, or fatty muscle. Diabetes will only occur when both the liver and entire body has run out of fat storage. I would imagine that a pig could eventually become diabetic if you fed it grains for long enough and didn’t kill it first.

Incidentally I believe, but don’t know for sure, that animal liver can contain some glucose in the form of glycogen when it reaches our plates. Possibly also trace amounts in lean muscle meat, but I doubt enough to be a measurable concern for us.

Reactions: Klpville

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
just 1 year old or 70 years old. Is that not right? What I am trying to say is that a pig fed a high carb diet will have all these carbs in its meat. Then we'll eat that meat stuffed and crammed with carbs.
No.. the carbs will be converted to body fat.. there are different types of diabetes with different causes so its pretty unlikely that a year old piglet could have the equivalent of T2. A pig with T1 (if that were possible and to be honest I have no idea) would probably die pretty quickly.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I know nothing about pigs. However, dogs and cats can get diabetes, and more and more of them are doing so. There is apparently an epidemic among cats. They don't differentiate between types, and I'm not sure they can. Diagnosed and booomph ... straight onto insulin. But of course, they are usually symptomatic before diagnosis, which is why they are taken to the vet.

M

Member496333

I know nothing about pigs. However, dogs and cats can get diabetes, and more and more of them are doing so. There is apparently an epidemic among cats. They don't differentiate between types, and I'm not sure they can. Diagnosed and booomph ... straight onto insulin. But of course, they are usually symptomatic before diagnosis, which is why they are taken to the vet.

Indeed. Apparently obesity and diabetes are on the rise in pets. I wonder if it has anything to do with what they’re being fed by humans, or if it will still be a “mystery” in yet another forty years? Maybe blame the cats for being fat and lazy? :shifty:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Cats get diabetes because they are fed carbs and they are obligate carnivores, so their metabolism gets hammered right from being weaned. Dogs are omnivores, but their food is often flavoured carbs.
I fed my dog and cat according to their needs and they were admired for their obvious good health, but when I told people what they ate few were interested in feeding their waddley pet in the same way.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Indeed. Apparently obesity and diabetes are on the rise in pets. I wonder if it has anything to do with what they’re being fed by humans, or if it will still be a “mystery” in yet another forty years? Maybe blame the cats for being fat and lazy? :shifty:

Yes, some cats are fed dry foods, which can not only harm their kidneys if they don't drink enough water, but contain carbs, which their metabolism doesn't appreciate. Dogs can metabolise foods that are not meat/fish but most of the dry foods available are full of grains. The cheaper ones are nearly all cereal. The same kidney problems can occur if the dry food is not supplemented with wet food or they don't drink much water.

Klpville

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Excess glucose in their body is converted into fat by the liver through a process called de novo lipogenesis. This is how they are fattened with carbohydrate. They will only become diabetic if the body runs out of storage in adipocytes (fat cells) at which point the glucose begins to spill into the blood and tissues, thus engorging the rest of the body’s cells with it. Prior to that point they would just get fatter and fatter. Marbling of meats is achieved by feeding animals high grain diets, and is in fact intramuscular fat, or fatty muscle. Diabetes will only occur when both the liver and entire body has run out of fat storage. I would imagine that a pig could eventually become diabetic if you fed it grains for long enough and didn’t kill it first.

Incidentally I believe, but don’t know for sure, that animal liver can contain some glucose in the form of glycogen when it reaches our plates. Possibly also trace amounts in lean muscle meat, but I doubt enough to be a measurable concern for us.

Thank you, that's a very informative and enlightening answer. It totally slipped my mind that carbohydrates would actually turn into fat.

Klpville

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
No.. the carbs will be converted to body fat.. there are different types of diabetes with different causes so its pretty unlikely that a year old piglet could have the equivalent of T2. A pig with T1 (if that were possible and to be honest I have no idea) would probably die pretty quickly.

Right. That's exactly my point as well. I think wild animals never have diabetes. Ever. They do not always eat to their hearts content, in fact they are usually undernourished and just cannot hog it and make any pigs of themselves :). They also must move a lot searching for food and that in turn burns off all their excess of glucose and weight. I have never heard of a fat / overweight wolf for example, they are always as skinny as beanpoles especially in winter. But what about pets? My cousin's cat for instance never leaves the house, eats a lot and is pretty much always asleep, although it's not fat at all.

Reactions: jjraak
M

Member496333

Animals in the wild have a functioning hormonally regulated appetite that hasn’t been bijacked by excessive carbohydrate ingestion. Or rather by food inappropriate for their biology. It’s only when all-knowing humans get involved that it all goes wrong.

Klpville

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cats get diabetes because they are fed carbs and they are obligate carnivores, so their metabolism gets hammered right from being weaned. Dogs are omnivores, but their food is often flavoured carbs.
I fed my dog and cat according to their needs and they were admired for their obvious good health, but when I told people what they ate few were interested in feeding their waddley pet in the same way.

Interesting. Well, pets actually do have diabetes too. What do we know.

Reactions: jjraak

Klpville

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Gee... That's definitely because of what human beings feed them. That proves it one more time that there is a lot of nasty foodstuff that is sold out there for us to eat. Thanks goodness I've started now closely watching my food and its ingredients.

Last edited:

Klpville

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yes, some cats are fed dry foods, which can not only harm their kidneys if they don't drink enough water, but contain carbs, which their metabolism doesn't appreciate. Dogs can metabolise foods that are not meat/fish but most of the dry foods available are full of grains. The cheaper ones are nearly all cereal. The same kidney problems can occur if the dry food is not supplemented with wet food or they don't drink much water.

I think homeless cats and dogs running around dumpsters and cesspools aren't prone to diabetes either. They are basically wild but within our cities and towns.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think homeless cats and dogs running around dumpsters and cesspools aren't prone to diabetes either. They are basically wild but within our cities and towns.

But how would you know?
Unless someone actually tested all those animals for diabetes, it is impossible to assume that they do, or don’t have it.

Same with wild animals across the planet.

Personally, I think that animals living and eating in the way they evolved to live makes many chronic diseases less likely. But it would take worldwide research and massive funding for that research before anyone could state it as a fact

Reactions: Robbity

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Right. That's exactly my point as well. I think wild animals never have diabetes. Ever. They do not always eat to their hearts content, in fact they are usually undernourished and just cannot hog it and make any pigs of themselves :). They also must move a lot searching for food and that in turn burns off all their excess of glucose and weight. I have never heard of a fat / overweight wolf for example, they are always as skinny as beanpoles especially in winter. But what about pets? My cousin's cat for instance never leaves the house, eats a lot and is pretty much always asleep, although it's not fat at all.
If wild animals ever had diabetes theyd probably die ..but they eat biologically correct food and don’t get fat. We fatten food supply animals by feeding them grain are humans really so different? There are now signs up asking not to feed wild birds bread because it’s not biologically appropriate... do you see a pattern emerging?

Reactions: Member496333