What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@jjraak and @ianpspurs this is my college equivalent song:

Will leave y'all to listen to it as it still causes me too much good pain.

Well that threw me back in the deep end. First piece of music I learnt to play and the first song I sang in public (outside of the choir). Heard it for the first time at church summer camp, I must have been around 13 and I was on spud scraping duty ;)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well that threw me back in the deep end. First piece of music I learnt to play and the first song I sang in public (outside of the choir). Heard it for the first time at church summer camp, I must have been around 13 and I was on spud scraping duty ;)

Cool church! :) I learned how to play guitar at my church ... come to think of it, we sang a lot of Dylan and protest songs at MYF (youth group) ...

@SuperPB , I use a OneTouch Ultra meter, and have as a backup a Relion Prime.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lenten is come with loue to toune,
With blosmen ant with briddes roune,
That al this blisse bryngeth.
Away is huere wynter wo
When woderoue springeth.
This foules singeth ferly fele
Ant wlyteth huere wynter wele
That al the Internet ryngeth!

(I love the line where the foul singeth fairly.)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. Thanks for the good wishes @ziggy_w and @philchap1 and anyone I’ve missed. Bit of a rough night with throat and sniffle. FBG was 3.4 (about 35 hours into a fast) with matching ketones.

@Providence 62 congratulations on the new arrival.

@johnpol sorry about the hypos and glad you’re getting back on an even keel.

Another Fleetwood Mac fan here - love that album.

Happy hump day everyone.

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Can I just ask which device people are using to get their blood results numbers? I’m new to all of this (and the forum) so I want to make sure that the results people post are from the same device as me - I have a Nexus GlucoRX, and sometimes I see quite high numbers!
So I would also like to know what to do in that situation - is is there a quick fix like drinking a load of water as well as eating the right things.
Many thanks in advance!
I'm using this meter at the mo as it was given to me along with 100 strips. I checked it with another one I've used and it does seem to be quite close so its an oK meter to use. The main thing with it is to make sure you are going in the right direction and keeping there rather than pin point accuracy though... Good luck with it and it is worth sticking with although, you know pricking can be a bit of a pain....... and this thread is good. I've been at this for 3 years now and it does take a good while to get a grip on what actually changes things in your life and while it can be slow the meter defiantly helps.... much better than the alternative.

PS... I didnt answer the "quick fix" part of your question. When I was diagnosed I did the Newcastle diet for 8 weeks. This is a "quick fix" in that it gets your blood sugars down quick. I have to advise you, that while it works, I found it a brutal diet and you are most likely to get the same benefit by reducing carbs but it probably will take you a little longer. Either way - best advise I have is to stick with it and be a bit patient with yourself , its a long term thing ......

edited to add PS

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Morning all. Thanks for the good wishes @ziggy_w and @philchap1 and anyone I’ve missed. Bit of a rough night with throat and sniffle. FBG was 3.4 (about 35 hours into a fast) with matching ketones.

@Providence 62 congratulations on the new arrival.

@johnpol sorry about the hypos and glad you’re getting back on an even keel.

Another Fleetwood Mac fan here - love that album.

Happy hump day everyone.
You made me google "happy hump day". It wasnt quite what I thought it was ....hmmmmmm :)

Reactions: HarryBeau

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Morning all from a wet and dreary North east, the scores on the doors today is...............4.9, I was actually hoping for a six so I don't have to have some carbs for breakfast, only so I can drive to work. Ah well the old unpredictability train lumbers on.

Take care everyone.

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning everyone. 4.4 for me today which I’m a little surprised at as didn’t eat my dinner till after 10.30 last night - it was low carb though. I thankfully seem to be relatively settled now with my FBG - last time I was above 5.0 was 13th Jan and that was still a 5.2. I’ve probably spoken too soon and tomorrow I’ll get a bump to reality but for today I’ve decided I’m winning against my diabetes