Getting numbers back down

Loukay1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Not sure if this is the right place to post?
Late last year I got my numbers down to between 5 & 7 but because of some major health issues & family health problems my diet has been awful, I've put on weight & my numbers this morning (1st time checking this year) and I'm at a massive 17.1!! What diet would others recomend to get my numbers back down quickly (I take 4x500mg metformin & 40mg of Gliclazide daily) I find low carb almost impossible to follow, so any others, Tia Louise x

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Why do you find low carb hard to follow? Were you following a very low carb diet?

It is very effective, but you'd have to be carefull taking Gliclazide. That can cause hypos.

Loukay1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Why do you find low carb hard to follow? Were you following a very low carb diet?

It is very effective, but you'd have to be carefull taking Gliclazide. That can cause hypos.
I really struggle without potatoes, peas & fruit?
I guess over years of yoyo dieting it's hard to get my head around high fat can be good for you?
My diabetes nurse told me I couldn't get a hypo when not on insulin?
She also told me not to do low carb/high fat?

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I guess over years of yoyo dieting it's hard to get my head around high fat can be good for you?
'
There is a thread on here called "low carb success stories" I think, a lot of people have found major success and written about it and I'm sure people will comment on this post of yours about how low carbing has changed their health. I'm one of those people also.

If you're taking Gliclazide, you can have hypos. It stimulates the pancreas to produce more insulin. If you go low carb, you will need to discuss with your hcp about continuing with this drug.

Tagging @daisy1 who has a great started info page for you. You will get a lot of info from it.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Loukay1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
'
There is a thread on here called "low carb success stories" I think, a lot of people have found major success and written about it and I'm sure people will comment on this post of yours about how low carbing has changed their health. I'm one of those people also.

If you're taking Gliclazide, you can have hypos. It stimulates the pancreas to produce more insulin. If you go low carb, you will need to discuss with your hcp about continuing with this drug.

Tagging @daisy1 who has a great started info page for you. You will get a lot of info from it.
Thank you, that's great

Reactions: Tophat1900

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Your yo-yo dieting was probably a result of low fat and low calorie. Low carb with extra fats is filling, doesn't lead to hunger, and is sustainable. Low calorie is not sustainable. At some point you have to give it up.

Your diabetes nurse is very wrong and gave you dangerous advice. Gliclazide forces the pancreas to produce extra insulin. The fewer carbs you eat, the less insulin you need. If you eat fewer carbs you will have excess insulin in your body and this can cause hypos. This is why you have to tell the DVLA (if you drive) that you are taking Gliclazide. She told you not to do LCHF because that goes against what the NHS promote at the moment. It is the high fat bit they don't like, not the low carb.

Loukay1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Your yo-yo dieting was probably a result of low fat and low calorie. Low carb with extra fats is filling, doesn't lead to hunger, and is sustainable. Low calorie is not sustainable. At some point you have to give it up.

Your diabetes nurse is very wrong and gave you dangerous advice. Gliclazide forces the pancreas to produce extra insulin. The fewer carbs you eat, the less insulin you need. If you eat fewer carbs you will have excess insulin in your body and this can cause hypos. This is why you have to tell the DVLA (if you drive) that you are taking Gliclazide. She told you not to do LCHF because that goes against what the NHS promote at the moment. It is the high fat bit they don't like, not the low carb.
Thank you, I might give it a try again, I'll have a look around.
It was just really hard giving up basically everything I eat now but I know it needs to be done.
Could you tell me will low carb high fat still allow me to lose weight?
I'm a grazer rather than a big mean eater?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Could you tell me will low carb high fat still allow me to lose weight?
I've lost 120 pounds by cutting carbs to a minimum but...
I'm a grazer rather than a big mean eater?
That will not help.. then again upping the fat content should mean you feel fuller for longer so your grazing should become less of a problem.

Reactions: Loukay1

Loukay1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've lost 120 pounds by cutting carbs to a minimum but...

That will not help.. then again upping the fat content should mean you feel fuller for longer so your grazing should become less of a problem.
So really need to stick to 3 meals, low carb & high fat? Thanks

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So really need to stick to 3 meals, low carb & high fat? Thanks

Personally I'd go for 1 or 2 meals a day although to start 3 would be better than multiple.
When you eat you create an insulin response in your body which can be a trigger for the storage of carbohydrates as fat.
Carbs are what causes fat gain (putting it extremely simply) so by cutting them down you should start to lose weight and reduce your blood sugar levels.
Fat provides satiety (fills you up for longer) so you should find you become naturally less hungry.

Loukay1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Personally I'd go for 1 or 2 meals a day although to start 3 would be better than multiple.
When you eat you create an insulin response in your body which can be a trigger for the storage of carbohydrates as fat.
Carbs are what causes fat gain (putting it extremely simply) so by cutting them down you should start to lose weight and reduce your blood sugar levels.
Fat provides satiety (fills you up for longer) so you should find you become naturally less hungry.
Thank you, will try & start again

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, will try & start again
I often will have coffee or tea with double cream as a "meal replacement".. have done without breakfast for the past 3 years using this as an alternative.

Loukay1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I often will have coffee or tea with double cream as a "meal replacement".. have done without breakfast for the past 3 years using this as an alternative.
Good tip, thanks. I'm right in thinking no milk, even full fat or gold top is allowed? So double cream instead?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I lost just over 4 stones on low carb. When I reached my goal weight I increased the fats (mainly from protein sources but not exclusively) and have now maintained my goal weight since November 2014. I never snack, I have 2 or 3 meals a day, and am rarely if ever hungry. It has worked for me. I always ate to what my meter told me.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good tip, thanks. I'm right in thinking no milk, even full fat or gold top is allowed? So double cream instead?
I use the Arla Lactofree full fat which has about half the carbs of regular milk but double cream is better because you use less of it so even fewer carbs. For example in tea I use 2 tablespoons of lactofree 30ml which has 0.8g of carbs whereas 1 tablespoon of double cream 15 ml has only 0.4g. The higher fat in the cream also provides the satiety so cream overall is "better" if you are trying for really low carb. Also of course depends on how many per day you drink!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To be fair few of us want to change our foods when we start. With time and results and a weaning off carbs addiction it gets better. Many end up preferring it much to their amazement. Just got to get going and through that first stage. Be experimental and try new things to distract yourself. Tastebuds WILL change and you may end up liking things you didn’t before.

Try clicking these links for more detailed explanations that are well worth reading that give good starting advice and ideas.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/jokalsbeek.401801/ for info including low carb made simple

And https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/success-stories-and-testimonials.43/ to show it really works

and https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/ for food ideas

also https://www.dietdoctor.com/ for more food ideas and general info of carb content of foods. Lots of other websites for recipes out there too. Just use the term low carb or keto with whatever you fancy.

I assume as you are on gliclazide you test yourself at home. It’s very important to be able to check for yourself what’s happening so you can make the necessary adjustments day to day and meal by meal rather than wait 3,6 or even 12 months and then have no idea what had what effect.

IMPORTANT: if you lower your carbs then any glucose lowering meds may need to be adjusted downwards accordingly to make sure you aren’t taking more than your new diet requires. It can cause a hypo if you have more gliclazide or insulin etc (this is not relevant for metformin on its own) than your new carb intake requires. Keep a close eye on your numbers and ideally do this with your dr. Please don’t be put off by an ill informed out dated rubbishing of low carb diets or being told you should eat carbs to match meds, it should be the other way around.

Loukay1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
To be fair few of us want to change our foods when we start. With time and results and a weaning off carbs addiction it gets better. Many end up preferring it much to their amazement. Just got to get going and through that first stage. Be experimental and try new things to distract yourself. Tastebuds WILL change and you may end up liking things you didn’t before.

Try clicking these links for more detailed explanations that are well worth reading that give good starting advice and ideas.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/jokalsbeek.401801/ for info including low carb made simple

And https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/success-stories-and-testimonials.43/ to show it really works

and https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/ for food ideas

also https://www.dietdoctor.com/ for more food ideas and general info of carb content of foods. Lots of other websites for recipes out there too. Just use the term low carb or keto with whatever you fancy.

I assume as you are on gliclazide you test yourself at home. It’s very important to be able to check for yourself what’s happening so you can make the necessary adjustments day to day and meal by meal rather than wait 3,6 or even 12 months and then have no idea what had what effect.

IMPORTANT: if you lower your carbs then any glucose lowering meds may need to be adjusted downwards accordingly to make sure you aren’t taking more than your new diet requires. It can cause a hypo if you have more gliclazide or insulin etc (this is not relevant for metformin on its own) than your new carb intake requires. Keep a close eye on your numbers and ideally do this with your dr. Please don’t be put off by an ill informed out dated rubbishing of low carb diets or being told you should eat carbs to match meds, it should be the other way around.
Thank you, my diabetes nurse told me I couldn't have a hypo unless I was on insulin but someone on here told me that it was not true, I was told that because the metformin was not working well enough I was being put on gliclazide & that's all the information I needed?

Loukay1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I lost just over 4 stones on low carb. When I reached my goal weight I increased the fats (mainly from protein sources but not exclusively) and have now maintained my goal weight since November 2014. I never snack, I have 2 or 3 meals a day, and am rarely if ever hungry. It has worked for me. I always ate to what my meter told me.
Well done!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, my diabetes nurse told me I couldn't have a hypo unless I was on insulin but someone on here told me that it was not true, I was told that because the metformin was not working well enough I was being put on gliclazide & that's all the information I needed?
I hope you have a meter? Please test regularly and talk to your HCP about reducing the glic if you are going to try very low carb. It can have quite dramatic effects on blood sugar levels and I'd hate for you to be put off by having an unnecessary hypo.