Reactions: Prem51

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.

Day off today so up late and talking to the wife while she got ready before I tested so may be a bit of dp in that too.

Reactions: Prem51

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just been diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes but as I am 44yo, I will be interested to see if I turn out to be pre-diabetic postnatally and just didn't know it because I didn't test anything before this pregnancy.

The new cut offs in Australia for Gestational Diabetes are, after the GTT, fasting 5.1mmol, 1hr 10 mmol, and 2 hr 8.5mmol.
My problem was a high fasting level - it was only 5.1mmol on the day of the test - but I had 5.6 mmol this morning.

So far it has only been a week so I haven't been told whether I need to take Metformin or insulin or whether I get longer to tweak my diet and see if it helps. If it turns out to be the placental hormones, dietary changes won't help, but postnatally, if I still have 5.6 fasting levels, does that put me in the realms of pre-diabetes? What are the markers after a GTT for pre-diabetes and at what stage are you encouraged to medicate yourself for it.

Have you come across any medical professionals who support you in changing to a very low carb diet, maybe ketogenic, and also possibly intermittent fasting?

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine was 6.1. Doctors haven’t diagnosed as pre diabetic but I had gestational diabetes.

How were your levels during pregnancy compared to now? How long ago did you give birth? (I've just been diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes and am also wondering if I will end up being pre-diabetic postnatally.) .