feeling rubbish & anxiety of miscarriage

Jkelly88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

Im a T1 and posted a few weeks ago having found out I was pregnant (my first baby) and freaking out over folic acid and hba1c.
Well I had my early scan and they calculated I was about 6.5 weeks, they said all looks healthy and was a heartbeat too.
My hba1c is 48 which is great and the doctors all said they’re really happy with my control and that I couldn’t be doing anything better (although I feel so useless sometimes).
But since my scan I’ve found myself consumed with negative thoughts surrounding miscarriage.
This Thursday puts me at 8 weeks, my next appointment with the antenatal/diabetic team is next Tuesday but midwife and next scan won’t be until mid April and it’s driving me insane thinking about what could happen in between then. I can’t stop looking things up online, statistics etc I just can’t stand this idea the baby’s heart beat could stop and I’ll be walking around for the next 4/5 weeks thinking I’m pregnant only to see no heartbeat or something on my 12 week scan :/
I’ve had a miscarriage before, altho circumstances were very different, I was younger (it wasn’t necessary a desired circumstance), sugars weren’t particularly controlled and I think I even had listeria poisoning, I know all this worry is no good for me and at the end of the day what will be will be anyway.
Over the weekend I’ve really struggled with my sugars, Saturday I was circling hypo ALL DAY, didn’t matter what I put in they would go to about 4.2 then drop way down, I had tried to put so much into my system it physically didn’t fit anymore and I was sick all night then Sunday I’ve managed to pick up a cold/sore throat virus and feel horrendous and ended up taking yesterday off work and now sugars have spike, trying my damnedest to keep them down but I’ve had a few spikes to 14.
Sorry this is such a negative post I’m just hoping there’s a few of you that can share you’re experiences with me and any help or advice, will they check for a foetal heartbeat in between my scan? Is anyone else feeling this ****?
Justine x

Reactions: SweetSophia

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Jkelly88

Based on your previous experience I can understand your negative thinking, and more so with the fact that you've been feeling unwell too, please do remember though when we are poorly our mental state is generally pretty rubbish too, so try and get yourself better again without thinking these thoughts. It really does sound like you're having a rough time too at the moment, so try and be a bit kinder on yourself and take your time getting well again.

I had gestational and got struck down with flu, it was pretty miserable time as I couldn't get out of bed, couldn't take anything and felt dreadful for about a week, needless to say I recovered and all was ok, but I understand how negative thinking can take over your thoughts when you're feeling unwell, hope you feel better soon x

Reactions: Jkelly88

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Jkelly88 just want to send you hugs. Hope you will feel better soon. I wonder if you voice your concerns to your midwife she will be able to check you over and calm your mind. All best wishes.

Reactions: Jkelly88

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
Hi all,

Im a T1 and posted a few weeks ago having found out I was pregnant (my first baby) and freaking out over folic acid and hba1c.
Well I had my early scan and they calculated I was about 6.5 weeks, they said all looks healthy and was a heartbeat too.
My hba1c is 48 which is great and the doctors all said they’re really happy with my control and that I couldn’t be doing anything better (although I feel so useless sometimes).
But since my scan I’ve found myself consumed with negative thoughts surrounding miscarriage.
This Thursday puts me at 8 weeks, my next appointment with the antenatal/diabetic team is next Tuesday but midwife and next scan won’t be until mid April and it’s driving me insane thinking about what could happen in between then. I can’t stop looking things up online, statistics etc I just can’t stand this idea the baby’s heart beat could stop and I’ll be walking around for the next 4/5 weeks thinking I’m pregnant only to see no heartbeat or something on my 12 week scan :/
I’ve had a miscarriage before, altho circumstances were very different, I was younger (it wasn’t necessary a desired circumstance), sugars weren’t particularly controlled and I think I even had listeria poisoning, I know all this worry is no good for me and at the end of the day what will be will be anyway.
Over the weekend I’ve really struggled with my sugars, Saturday I was circling hypo ALL DAY, didn’t matter what I put in they would go to about 4.2 then drop way down, I had tried to put so much into my system it physically didn’t fit anymore and I was sick all night then Sunday I’ve managed to pick up a cold/sore throat virus and feel horrendous and ended up taking yesterday off work and now sugars have spike, trying my damnedest to keep them down but I’ve had a few spikes to 14.
Sorry this is such a negative post I’m just hoping there’s a few of you that can share you’re experiences with me and any help or advice, will they check for a foetal heartbeat in between my scan? Is anyone else feeling this ****?
Justine x

Pregnancy can make everything seem scary. Your hormones are making you feel this way. A natural response to wanting to protect your baby. I know its so hard but try not to worry yourself sick about it. Have you spoken to your midwife? Thats part of the reason they're there. To help you with your anxieties.

With my first I had a bleed and passed a clot the size of an egg at 6 weeks. I was devastated, I thought he was gone. I waited, hormones still there, feeling sick, tired etc, realised all was well.

At 16 weeks checking for heart beat and they found nothing. Rushed me to hospital only to find out he was hiding from the heartbeat monitor and was bouncing on his head having a great time.

My second child I didn't feel her move all day, used to get so worried, constantly checking and worried she wasn't there but both pregnancies fine, both healthy children. There was no need for all my worries.

As I say I know its hard but try to relax and speak to your midwife!

Jkelly88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Pregnancy can make everything seem scary. Your hormones are making you feel this way. A natural response to wanting to protect your baby. I know its so hard but try not to worry yourself sick about it. Have you spoken to your midwife? Thats part of the reason they're there. To help you with your anxieties.

With my first I had a bleed and passed a clot the size of an egg at 6 weeks. I was devastated, I thought he was gone. I waited, hormones still there, feeling sick, tired etc, realised all was well.

At 16 weeks checking for heart beat and they found nothing. Rushed me to hospital only to find out he was hiding from the heartbeat monitor and was bouncing on his head having a great time.

My second child I didn't feel her move all day, used to get so worried, constantly checking and worried she wasn't there but both pregnancies fine, both healthy children. There was no need for all my worries.

As I say I know its hard but try to relax and speak to your midwife!

Wow sounds like your babies gave you palpitations lol, lovely to hear these success stories though <3
My first midwife appointment isn’t until the 2nd April which seems like forever away atm, I have diabetes clinic next week so will raise my anxiety concerns there and see what they can do for me.

Thanks everyone x

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
Wow sounds like your babies gave you palpitations lol, lovely to hear these success stories though <3
My first midwife appointment isn’t until the 2nd April which seems like forever away atm, I have diabetes clinic next week so will raise my anxiety concerns there and see what they can do for me.

Thanks everyone x

All babies are little terrors, even in the womb lol. Let us know how you get on.

Lalamcp

Hi Justine
I really relate to your post & you’re not alone! My first pregnancy resulted in a miscarriage at 12 weeks, unexpected and totally devastating. I fell pregnant again and my daughter I’m happy to say will turn 2 at the end of this month. But the pregnancy was tough, the diabetes was hard work but I really felt unable to relax and enjoy my pregnancy because i was always worried I might lose the baby or something bad might happen. The Diabetes team looking after me were great but they drill all the complications of diabetes and pregnancy in to you and I don’t think it helps anxiety! I definitely started to feel a bit happier the further along I got when I could feel the baby move, put my mind at rest a little. Also accupunture was fantastic and relieveing stress & morning sickness. With regards to diabetes control it is super hard work but you can only take all the advice and help on board and try your best! I’m sure you will be fine. One thing I learned from my first pregnancy is to try to enjoy it, and remember how lucky you are!
Sending much love & best wishes
Lauren

Shelby1234

I'm a little over 7 weeks pregnant right now for my first time - and have constant worries, too!
My first ultrasound isn't even scheduled yet and it's killing me having to wait.

I find reading success stories has really helped, and I try to stay away from the negative ones. We have to remember that each pregnancy is different - diabetes or not - and we can't compare it to anyone elses! Good luck. :)