A tale of two cities... and CCGs

Tonk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everyone.

I'll try to keep this brief but no doubt will fail. I grew up on the south coast and was diagnosed at Hospital A. I had my care there for about 6 years before I took the plunge and moved to London for Drama School. My new GP up there was rather insistent that I moved my care up there and I agreed.

I registered at a new hospital (B) in London. After only being seen once, ONCE, in three years I decided enough was enough and I wanted to move my care back down to the wonderful team at Hospital A. After a bit of resistance, my GP finally agreed. I ended up with a GP in London and a consultant about 80 miles away (and, most importantly, in a different CCG).

About two and a half years ago I applied for funding for an Omnipod through Hospital A (as they didn't provide them in Hospital B(London)). 6 months later and I receive a letter to tell me it was unsuccessful because my GP was in London not the local CCG. Okay. The excellent DSN I had decided to get creative. We tried to apply for funding from Hospital B (London) and have it dispensed by Hospital A. That was two years ago...

Yesterday I got a phone call from the new DSN to tell me she had stumbled upon the paper work purely by chance and chased the London CCG. They approved it this morning and I am now waiting for an appointment to go over and get my Omnipod set up.

The DSN originally told me it was a super long shot and she had heard of it being done but never come across it.

This is a message to anyone that may find themselves in a similar (although rare) position that this is a great route to go down and hopefully it will work out for you!

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This is great news, but not all hospitals and CCG's have this issue. My hospital is in Dorset whilst I live in Hampshire where my GP's surgery is based and although they refuse to share test results across the border there are no issues with obtaining pumps or attending the hospital.

Reactions: porl69 and Tonk

Tonk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is great news, but not all hospitals and CCG's have this issue. My hospital is in Dorset whilst I live in Hampshire where my GP's surgery is based and although they refuse to share test results across the border there are no issues with obtaining pumps or attending the hospital.

Well ****. Sucks to be me