T1 Prescriptions refused

freyae32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I'm having a bit of a nightmare at the minute. My doctor's surgery are refusing to issue my testing strips and claiming that I have been "over-using them". I last received my prescription on the 12th of February of 200 strips. I usually get this prescription every month as I use 5 a day minimum so it's pretty regular.

However, they are refusing to give me this prescription until the 1st of April which is clearly a problem as I only have around 45 strips left at the time of writing (these are from a spare pot I bought on holiday and without these I would have ran out 2 days ago). I don't know what to do anymore, nothing I say can make them change their mind and I can't afford to follow what they've suggested I do and "buy my own".

I'll admit that recently my anxiety over testing has been higher than usual as I haven't always been having clear hypo symptoms and I still struggle to fall asleep without testing multiple times after a diabetic seizure I had during the night a year and a half ago. But I have calculated the amount of strips I have used and it hasn't caused too much impact. Essentially, they want me to test only 4 times a day excluding any hypos or night tests which is just not possible.

I have suspicions it could be to do with brexit and not wanting anyone to be stockpiling but I'm really at a loss here. Has anyone experienced anything similar and what can I possibly do?

Reactions: Gannet

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
4 times a day isn’t enough.
Do you drive? You are meant to test every time you drive for a start. That’s crazy.
Can you contact NICE or diabetes UK.
Morning blood test, before lunch, before dinner, after dinner, before bed, in the night, each time you drive. That would be my minimum - and that’s 7 times!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I get 150 each prescription- a while ago they tried putting it down to 50 so I complained
Diabetes UK have an advocacy pack on this and there are standard letters quoting NICE guidelines which say not to restrict- I’ll try to dig them out for you.

D

Deleted member 308541

However, they are refusing to give me this prescription until the 1st of April
I would like to know who "they are". If it's the reception staff, demand to see the practice manager or better still your GP and complain.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Interesting, I voted remain. But I still wouldn't pin this on the impending wotxit...

On my script I also have the equivalent of 200 tests (but in cartriges for an Accu-Chek Mobile.)
Never bothered to up the amount during a med review. Always seem to forget to bring it up?

What I don't forget, is...
I bang in a request as and when needed on the list. The testing cartriges from Roche? About every 2 to 2.5 weeks.
Proof if need be that I test regularly on my meter & records on an app.

Never had an issue with either the processing or obtaining what I need from my surgery.. I haven't even needed to negotiate a "deal."

Reactions: db89

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @freyae32 simple answer is no they should not restrict you, speak to the practice manager and advise them that you are insulin dependent use the information Diakat has given you above and print the letter once you complain it should be resolved.

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Plus the above advice, if you are also under a local hospital consultant, they are usually very good at sorting out instances like this and very quickly :) .

Reactions: Prem51
D

Deleted member 308541

Never had an issue with either the processing or obtaining what I need from my surgery.. I haven't even needed to negotiate a "deal."
I know I am T2 and different rules apply re strips, my GP ,let alone the girls on the reception desk would not have a clue how many strips i get at a time. I give him a six monthly NDSS request form to sign off on and away i go.

The NDSS knows though, and they can put a block on through the pharmacy I get them from if I get greedy and sell them off on eBay.

I pick up a 100 strip box so have two boxes in hand, and I go through 50 strips a week.

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
The latest nhs guidelines for qualifying for libre state you have to be testing eight times a day. So the nhs expect people with impaired hypo awareness to be testing eight or more times a day. Maybe they need to tell the GPs working for them.

Reactions: Prem51
M

Member496333

It really frustrates me that billions of pounds are wasted annually on disasterous treatment of insulin resistant diabetes while those with incurable autoimmune are faced with potential suboptimal or even life threatening management because too much money is being spent on making type 2 diabetes worse :(

Reactions: Dodo and Flora123

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Join twitter and explain the problem in a tweet along with details of your GP including asking @parthaskar what he thinks. I expect within hours your GP will have changed his/her mind.

Blanchoid

So I'm having a bit of a nightmare at the minute. My doctor's surgery are refusing to issue my testing strips and claiming that I have been "over-using them". I last received my prescription on the 12th of February of 200 strips. I usually get this prescription every month as I use 5 a day minimum so it's pretty regular.

However, they are refusing to give me this prescription until the 1st of April which is clearly a problem as I only have around 45 strips left at the time of writing (these are from a spare pot I bought on holiday and without these I would have ran out 2 days ago). I don't know what to do anymore, nothing I say can make them change their mind and I can't afford to follow what they've suggested I do and "buy my own".

I'll admit that recently my anxiety over testing has been higher than usual as I haven't always been having clear hypo symptoms and I still struggle to fall asleep without testing multiple times after a diabetic seizure I had during the night a year and a half ago. But I have calculated the amount of strips I have used and it hasn't caused too much impact. Essentially, they want me to test only 4 times a day excluding any hypos or night tests which is just not possible.

I have suspicions it could be to do with brexit and not wanting anyone to be stockpiling but I'm really at a loss here. Has anyone experienced anything similar and what can I possibly do?

Do you have an excemption card, also do you drive.

Both are good enough excuses to get as many strips as you want.

If you drive just say it is the law that you test before each journey.

Reactions: ringi

enzina

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pain, being dependent, egoistic people & jealousy
OMG, that's unbelievable. I feel for you, as a T1 you shouldn't have this problem at all. I would make so much noise and yes, contact @parthaskar!

Reactions: Robinredbreast