Injection phobia

nikobasi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello guys i have a stupid phobia but i cant rationalize it. I am afraid to inject insulin(especially the basal) when i go out but when i am at home i dont have that fear. Does it make sense?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello guys i have a stupid phobia but i cant rationalize it. I am afraid to inject insulin(especially the basal) when i go out but when i am at home i dont have that fear. Does it make sense?

Hi @nikobasi ,

To clarify, you're perfectly comfortable injecting in a home environment. But when away (staying somewhere else.) it becomes an issue?
Or do you mean out in public..?

nikobasi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @nikobasi ,

To clarify, you're perfectly comfortable injecting in a home environment. But when away (staying somewhere else.) it becomes an issue?
Or do you mean out in public..?

When i have to inject insulin in bars, clubs anywhere outside of my house. I used to be extra cautious about my diabetes staying most of the time at home but i am really tired of it. I wanna travel go out at night without thinking the injections i have to do or the hypos that may have. My blood sugar is well controlled but i became control freak over the years and i wanna change it

Last edited:
Reactions: Grant_Vicat
D

Deleted Account

@nikobasi I would not say your phobia is stupid your explanation of the fear you have when out, in a less controlled environment than home, is reasonable.
As you want to change, I guess you need to come up with mechanisms for managing this fear. Perhaps it is to start going somewhere that you feel more comfortable such as having a few drinks at a friends house or being out at the time of your basal injection but not for a full night and then building up ... taking a little more risk, staying out longer, going from your friends house to a bar or ...

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When i have to inject insulin in bars, clubs anywhere outside of my house. I used to be extra cautious about my diabetes staying most of the time at home but i am really tired of it. I wanna travel go out at night without thinking the injections i have to do or the hypos that may have. My blood sugar is well controlled but i became control freak over the years and i wanna change it

Hi,

It's great you wish to change the situation. Are you comfortable with testing blood in public?
Are you at ease performing both testing & injecting with company at home?
If not? The first start would be having a good friend over for a meal in a natural setting..? & suggest "this is what I have to do."
Expect questions.. :) You may find answering them maybe of help?

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A phobia is an irrational fear. I have one that’s unrelated to diabetes. I’m so afraid to the point I think I just can’t cope and I might die if that happens although I know in reality I know it’s stupid to think that way... you can’t explain why it’s so scary. I just wanted to say I can understand. I’ve read that the way to improve is expose yourself to that situation in a small quantity in a gradual way...

Last edited:

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not sure whether it makes sense or not, or even if it has to. I only inject at home, alone. I don't think I'm afraid but I never eat out now because of it. No more lunches out with the others at the office, I go home instead. I eat alone, not even with family. (Not totally alone, I'm usually reading this forum while I eat.)

nikobasi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

It's great you wish to change the situation. Are you comfortable with testing blood in public?
Are you at ease performing both testing & injecting with company at home?
If not? The first start would be having a good friend over for a meal in a natural setting..? & suggest "this is what I have to do."
Expect questions.. :) You may find answering them maybe of help?

I don't have any problem injecting in public i just feel safer injecting home. For example, when i go out at night and i have to take insulin at a bar or cinema i have a fear that i will get a hypo.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't have any problem injecting in public i just feel safer injecting home. For example, when i go out at night and i have to take insulin at a bar or cinema i have a fear that i will get a hypo.

My apologies..
I feel I am understanding what you mean? (You mentioned "especially the basal.") You're OK with injecting in public. It's a concern you have regarding hypos whilst out late in terms of your long acting insulin timing..

Are you still hypo awair?

nikobasi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My apologies..
I feel I am understanding what you mean? (You mentioned "especially the basal.") You're OK with injecting in public. It's a concern you have regarding hypos whilst out late in terms of your long acting insulin timing..

Are you still hypo awair?
No i am not. I can feel the hypo.

kiritshah

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I assume you are type 1 diabetic.
Then you can get Libre machine and discs on the NHS.
Allowed from 01/04/19 but you need to be shown how to use it properly.
It will tell you when your BG is stable ,going up or down rapidly and so that suitable actions to prevent Hypos or high BG.
See their website to see how it works in practice.

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football, Rugby, Sweede, Parsnips, Beetroot
When I first got diagnosed I was afraid of injection in public too and in front of my friends. I just did in the toilet and did outside when I was ready and told my friends. Do be honest it wasn’t really me I was just worried I would either scare my friends as I didn’t know if they were scared of needles and was too embarrassed to ask or that I would get bullied because of it. Anyway I just eventually got the courage to do it in public.
Just believe in yourself. Ask yourself what do you think the worse thing could happen if you did?

Wjohn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Dear nikobasi ,
Not very good on computer ,I’m 81 yrs old and type 1 for nearly 60 yrs,with average of 5 injections per day .,with 9 injection areas .These areas are now quite hard causingproblems with insulin dispersal causing frequent highs and lows.
Longer needles have been tried , Anyone have an answer ,Wjo