Low carb protein bar

Muddikins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just had my weekly news email from British Cycling with an offer from a well known sports nutrition company for a new low carb protein bar.
It starts promisingly with 8.9% fat and 20% protein but then has 39% carbs of which 3.7% is sugar, 1.4% fibre and 34% polyols:yuck:.
My first thought is that you WILL peddle quicker but only in a desperate and futile attempt to find a toilet. Shame really, boiled eggs and cold sausages are not hugely convenient cycling refuelling options but the best I can come up with unless you clever people know better?

Reactions: Numan and Guzzler

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you tried this type of bars? I have the occasional PhD Smart bar or Carb Killa bar, similarly high protein, low carb bars. I don’t have them as a cyclist or indeed because I take part in any kind of enthusiastic excercise (!) but because I enjoy them as a treat in coffee shops in place of carb loaded cakes and muffins (I smuggle them in in my bag!) I never have a problem with them making me pedal harder or run! :joyful:

Reactions: Muddikins

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
so that will be low carb compared to a Mars bar?
I don't know how they do it.....
:banghead:

Reactions: Guzzler

Muddikins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I haven't tried them yet. I am returning to cycling after 25 years off and pretty much everything has changed, including me.
I did try some sugar free sweets on a whim a couple of months ago and ended up wolfing the very small box as it was the first sweet thing I had tasted in a long while. They were polyol sweetened and had me contemplating the world from the smallest room for a looong time and vowing to avoid them in future. Perhaps I should do some sums and see how many grams did that to me, perhaps the bars seem worse than they are.
I can peel a boiled egg on a bike but putting on some salt is a nightmare:)

Reactions: hankjam

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My experience is most bars use maltitol which whilst it doesn’t make me “run” it does still spike my bgl. If you decide to try then please check your personal reaction to it beyond the bike or the toilet.

Muddikins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the thoughts. I will give them a miss I think and plan rides to include a stop for coffee and refuel in a properly low carb way then. Home made egg mayo with bacon bits sounds just the job and would be very funny to pull out of my saddle bag amongst people frantically guzzling sugery gels and bars.

Reactions: hankjam

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I have just had my weekly news email from British Cycling with an offer from a well known sports nutrition company for a new low carb protein bar.
It starts promisingly with 8.9% fat and 20% protein but then has 39% carbs of which 3.7% is sugar, 1.4% fibre and 34% polyols:yuck:.
My first thought is that you WILL peddle quicker but only in a desperate and futile attempt to find a toilet. Shame really, boiled eggs and cold sausages are not hugely convenient cycling refuelling options but the best I can come up with unless you clever people know better?

Know whatcha mean, Tried a few different ones, worst one was an Atkins bar some years back... worst day ever!

Been years since I bothered with protein bars. Just not for me.

Reactions: Elizabeth Barlett

Numan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I have just bought some nut and honey bars from Waitrose for testing on a ride on Sunday, only 9% carbs, which was half of the usual type cereal bar I used to use.
IMG_1553239343.173493.jpg

Muddikins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I have just bought some nut and honey bars from Waitrose for testing on a ride on Sunday, only 9% carbs, which was half of the usual type cereal bar I used to use.View attachment 31977

They do look good. I was always very partial to anything flapjacky but they do terrible things to my blood sugar levels these days. I have wondered if I couldn't get away with it in the middle of a long ride but then realised that that might be the start of a slippery slope for me and I had better not even try it.
Keto has been so good for me that I would hate to risk compromising it and I bet if I had a box in the house I would just start craving them whereas if I don't I don't (if you see what I mean:))

Reactions: Numan
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I love the seeds, delicious, 9BAR, different varities too
nav_breadcrumb_seperator.png

9Bar
nav_breadcrumb_seperator.png

Original (40g)
Food database and calorie counter
9Bar
Original (40g)
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 1 bar (40 g)

per serve
Kilojoules 928.848 kj
Calories
222 kcal
Protein
7.3 g
Carbohydrate 11.7 g
Sugar 10.5 g
Fat 16.2 g
Saturated Fat 4 g
Monounsaturated Fat 6 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 5.4 g
Fibre 2.1 g
Sodium 100 mg
Edit this Food
Is this information inaccurate or incomplete? Click here to edit.
Last updated: 10 Sep 13 07:35 AM
Source: FatSecret Platform API
11%
of RDI*
(222 cal)
11_percent_rdi.gif

Calorie Breakdown:

Carbohydrate (21%)

Fat (66%)

Protein (13%)

*Based on an RDI of 2000 calories
What is my Recommended Daily Intake?

icon_camera.gif
Photos

+
Add a photo

Nutritional Summary:
Cals
Fat
16.2g
Carbs
11.7g
Prot
7.3g
There are 222 calories in a 1 bar serving of 9Bar Original (40g).
Calorie Breakdown: 66% fat, 21% carbs, 13% prot.
Related Cereal Bars from 9Bar:

Nutty

Muddikins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh dear, it turns out that just reading about yummy, seedy, nutty, fruity things makes me salivate like Pavlov's dogs.

Reactions: Numan
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
If you have time you could try making your own ?

Featured snippet from the web

Ingredients
  1. 2 cups nuts (preferably soaked)
  2. 1/2 cup organic flax meal (flax seeds ground in a blender or spice grinder)
  3. 1/2 cup shredded coconut (unsweetened and organic if possible)
  4. 1/2 cup seed or nut butter (made from soaked and dried nuts or seeds is preferable)
  5. 3/8 tsp salt.
  6. 1/2 cup organic coconut oil.
More items...

6 Mar 2019
Homemade Protein Bars - Protein Bar Recipe | Whole New Mom

https://wholenewmom.com/whole-new-budget/homemade-protein-bars/

Muddikins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you have time you could try making your own ?

Featured snippet from the web

Ingredients
  1. 2 cups nuts (preferably soaked)
  2. 1/2 cup organic flax meal (flax seeds ground in a blender or spice grinder)
  3. 1/2 cup shredded coconut (unsweetened and organic if possible)
  4. 1/2 cup seed or nut butter (made from soaked and dried nuts or seeds is preferable)
  5. 3/8 tsp salt.
  6. 1/2 cup organic coconut oil.
More items...

6 Mar 2019
Homemade Protein Bars - Protein Bar Recipe | Whole New Mom

https://wholenewmom.com/whole-new-budget/homemade-protein-bars/

Now there's a thought. My kitchen is being refurbished (very, very slowly) leaving me without a cooker but hopefully I will be back in business early next week.

Numan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve ordered it Robbity, thanks for the tip

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't tried them yet. I am returning to cycling after 25 years off and pretty much everything has changed, including me.
I did try some sugar free sweets on a whim a couple of months ago and ended up wolfing the very small box as it was the first sweet thing I had tasted in a long while. They were polyol sweetened and had me contemplating the world from the smallest room for a looong time and vowing to avoid them in future. Perhaps I should do some sums and see how many grams did that to me, perhaps the bars seem worse than they are.
I can peel a boiled egg on a bike but putting on some salt is a nightmare:)

You could always make salted eggs: https://delishably.com/dairy/Salted-Eggs-Recipe

I haven't tried this yet, but I will, when back in UK, in my own hime kitchen.

Muddikins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you. I have never heard of them before They sound dead easy to make so I might just give them a go to see what happens, I do like a culinary adventure.