Ulceractive Colitus & Type 2

Jomary

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve got the same combination of diseases and find that when my UC is flaring up my body craves stodgy food ie carbd. I do just sometimes give in but have found that I can often use protein instead. I quite often down 4-6 slices of roast beef or similar which seems to help and let’s me stay low carb. I’d advise getting set up with a variety of treatments for UC that you can administer yourself as and when you need them. My blood sugar level are far from perfect but improving and I didn’t realize until you posted that they probably go up when my UC is bad due to increase white cell count!
I’m like you I find that white bread and baked pots are what I can eat until symptoms subside, I don’t eat red meat I would like to be vegetarian but as you well know it’s a no no for people like us. I do eat poached chicken as my protein, preferably in a white bread sandwich

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
I’m like you I find that white bread and baked pots are what I can eat until symptoms subside, I don’t eat red meat I would like to be vegetarian but as you well know it’s a no no for people like us. I do eat poached chicken as my protein, preferably in a white bread sandwich

Funny how everyone is different. Low carbing has put me into remission of UC for the first time in years and any pasta, rice or more than one slice of bread etc makes things worse.

Jomary

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Funny how everyone is different. Low carbing has put me into remission of UC for the first time in years and any pasta, rice or more than one slice of bread etc makes things worse.
It should deserve a clinical study as to why carbs can help my UC and make others worse

Happy hippy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football
I was diagnosed with these and Im really struggling to manage my diet, I cant tie any one food down from one day to the next! My blood readings stay around 10.4 and 13.6 with the odd 27.0 thrown in for good messure! This has been like this since November last year! Now biggest problems are no sleep as I have to toilet around every hour sometime more so about 30 times a day! Trouble is I loved, love my food although not a big chap in that sense was 17 stone 6ft tall now 12 stone still 6ft tall. It seems food I try that works for T2 sets of the colitus! Now I think Im beat and lost my taste for food entirely! Is this normal? Is having these conditions mean I have to continue to fight one food against the other? It is making me so miserable and yet then I feel so guilty because I guess there are far worse off people out there, will my head, stomach, feelings ever except the changes I have to make? How do I find the patients to cope with it and most of all how does my wife and girls? I was 50 last July and going downhill fast!

Happy hippy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football
Hello H7DNA.
I read your post with great interest.
It was as if I had written it myself. Every word is exactly what I’m going through and feeling.
I’ve had UC since 1991 and type 2 since 2003.
Spent 2months in hospital with bad UC flare up in 2008 and ended up with an iliostomy for two yrs.
I remember the Diabetic and the Gastrology consultants arguing at the foot of my bed about what I should eat/drink. Metformin and Asacol do not work together!!! I found out the hard way.
About food.......I don’t eat fruit, veg or salad. I only drink coffee or bottled water. I find Hovis or kings mill 50/50 bread keeps things moving. And Shreddies with Lactose free milk.
I bought an Air Fryer and love heating up Walls ready cooked sausages from Iceland. Also plain chicken pieces. ( they don’t dry up like in oven.)
I don’t eat ‘dinners’ I will have a sausage sandwich or a few slices of nice carvery ham & one ounce chunk of cathedral city cheese. Then maybe later tea n toast with BUTTER not that awful Marge stuff. Lol. Some mornings shreddies and some just coffee.
I’m afraid I choose to eat more for my bowel than my diabetes. It’s impossible to cater both.
Mainly because I know how I’ll i can get if it flares up again. The surgeon warned me if I ever get that I’ll she will have to remove all the bowel.
I hate the thought of that. Btw I’m 62 yrs old.
I’m aware we have to try and control our Diabetis and it does worry me.
I’m gonna try low carb diet but modify it a bit.
Take care M.