1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Ulceractive Colitus & Type 2

Discussion in 'Other Health Conditions and Diabetes' started by H7DNA, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Jomary

Jomary Type 2 · Active Member

I’m like you I find that white bread and baked pots are what I can eat until symptoms subside, I don’t eat red meat I would like to be vegetarian but as you well know it’s a no no for people like us. I do eat poached chicken as my protein, preferably in a white bread sandwich

2. Major Buckmaster

Major Buckmaster Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Funny how everyone is different. Low carbing has put me into remission of UC for the first time in years and any pasta, rice or more than one slice of bread etc makes things worse.

3. Jomary

Jomary Type 2 · Active Member

It should deserve a clinical study as to why carbs can help my UC and make others worse

4. Happy hippy

Happy hippy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

5. Happy hippy

Happy hippy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hello H7DNA.
    I read your post with great interest.
    It was as if I had written it myself. Every word is exactly what I’m going through and feeling.
    I’ve had UC since 1991 and type 2 since 2003.
    Spent 2months in hospital with bad UC flare up in 2008 and ended up with an iliostomy for two yrs.
    I remember the Diabetic and the Gastrology consultants arguing at the foot of my bed about what I should eat/drink. Metformin and Asacol do not work together!!! I found out the hard way.
    About food.......I don’t eat fruit, veg or salad. I only drink coffee or bottled water. I find Hovis or kings mill 50/50 bread keeps things moving. And Shreddies with Lactose free milk.
    I bought an Air Fryer and love heating up Walls ready cooked sausages from Iceland. Also plain chicken pieces. ( they don’t dry up like in oven.)
    I don’t eat ‘dinners’ I will have a sausage sandwich or a few slices of nice carvery ham & one ounce chunk of cathedral city cheese. Then maybe later tea n toast with BUTTER not that awful Marge stuff. Lol. Some mornings shreddies and some just coffee.
    I’m afraid I choose to eat more for my bowel than my diabetes. It’s impossible to cater both.
    Mainly because I know how I’ll i can get if it flares up again. The surgeon warned me if I ever get that I’ll she will have to remove all the bowel.
    I hate the thought of that. Btw I’m 62 yrs old.
    I’m aware we have to try and control our Diabetis and it does worry me.
    I’m gonna try low carb diet but modify it a bit.
    Take care M.

6. Major Buckmaster

Major Buckmaster Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I agree. It’s certainly a odd disease.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook