When testing should you use a different finger (thumb) each time?...

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
or doesn't it matter? I use the same finger (thumb) all day am I doing it wrong? o_O
Tia

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The only reason you shouldn't is that digit might get sore. I use different fingers/thumbs on different days.

Reactions: Starfish18

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The only reason you shouldn't is that digit might get sore. I use different fingers/thumbs on different days.
I try and do it in different areas around the finger. Not got sore yet! I use a different finger/thumb everyday. I only seem to use my left hand too, maybe cos I'm right handed

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I use every part of every finger in some vague rotation pattern.

But I noticed that I am often up to 2mmol higher when I prick the 3rd finger or little finger.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I tend to use my left hand too, especially for fbgs as I usually take them while I'm still in bed. But I do test on right hand too when I'm up.

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

But I noticed that I am often up to 2mmol higher when I prick the 3rd finger or little finger.
Ive noticed I get different readings from different fingers too, weird!

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tend to use my left hand too, especially for fbgs as I usually take them while I'm still in bed. But I do test on right hand too when I'm up.
Ill have to try testing on right hand too

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.

Not something that crossed my mind. Will keep that in mind.
I just randomly use a digit. May try being more specific now.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

Not really. Your blood is circulating and taking in nutrients and 'stuff' from organs such as the pancreas and liver. It's also depositing nutrients (and glucose of course) where it's most needed.

So it's constantly changing and the blood in your thumb will be different to the blood in your little finger depending on the rate of change and rate of circulation and it seems many other variables including the test meter and strips.

I would expect to get closer correlation between fingers if my glucose levels had been flat(ish) for several hours.

All makes monitoring more fun!

Last edited:
Reactions: Robbity

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I alternate both, fingers and hands daily. Starting with little finger on right hand to index finger then switch to left hand I rarely use the thumb for some reason.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tend to use the little finger on my right hand for most of my testing and it never seems to get sore, it's least used for anything, and it's also pretty generous with its "blood sacrifices". I also have a vague belief (which I've never actually tried to verify!) that by using the same finger I'll be getting the most consistent results over time due to blood flow patterns...o_O @urbanracer

As I'm left handed, when I first started testing I chose to never use my index finger and thumb on that hand in the remote possibility that they might lose their sensitivity - and they're the two that do all my picky-uppies and other fine work

Robbity

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I tend to test on my left hand. Have never thought about using my thumb

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So everyone is different and it doesn't really matter what fingers/thumb we use and how often

Roseanne01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
'isms'. Not being able to eat potatoes.

Try pumping your arm and clenching your fist a bit before testing, like you would for a blood test. Works for me. Just gets the blood really moving.

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
I tried today for the first time pricking the top of my finger about 1/2 in under the nail.
It was painless! I might try it again tomorrow.
I almost always use my left hand alternating fingers and left/right side of each finger.

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
I was told off by the sister in hospital for presenting all 5 fingers of the hand for pricking.....she told me ALWAYS touch your thumb with the finger next to it as they should NEVER be pricked......apparently the admittedly low chance of nerve damage through long term pricking can cause finger problems and the 2 most useful fingers should be protected.......for example try holding a pen without those 2 fingers?

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
How fascinating that we all do different things! I have oddly changing readings 7.1 and 5.5 in the same week with no discernible change in diet - but I would never think to ascribe it to "different fingers".
I don't know if I can be bothered to log which finger onto my spreadsheet. I'm happy to monitor the trend rather than individual results.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
..and for the record, I prick outside edge of L hand, different finger each day, then outside of right hand, different finger. Then inside edge of each hand. So that's 16 days before I get back to a site. (Don't know why, but I don't do thumbs).

However I often have to prick two or three times to get anything out. I'm either to mean to bleed, or just dehydrated.
And I'm also VERY NAUGHTY about changing lancets...

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
..and for the record, I prick outside edge of L hand, different finger each day, then outside of right hand, different finger. Then inside edge of each hand. So that's 16 days before I get back to a site. (Don't know why, but I don't do thumbs).

However I often have to prick two or three times to get anything out. I'm either to mean to bleed, or just dehydrated.
And I'm also VERY NAUGHTY about changing lancets...
I always make sure I drink water now just before testing as I can't always get anything out lol.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thumb? thats painful :inpain:
I tend to avoid thumbs and index fingers, I only use pinky finger, ring finger and middle finger.