Type 1 Can u do too many injections in one day

Triscornia

Just wondering if you can do too many injections in one day. We (my son) is back on insulin and he had one injection for breakfast then lunch and when he had a snack in the afternoon now had sushi and a croissant so did another injections but we obviously miscalculated he went sky high so took another one. Now just waiting to see if his level comes back to normal.
I hate the nights and the checking, so tired and wishing we knew what we were doing.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Technically no, you can’t do too many. What you do need to be aware of is how much insulin is in his system at any one time as basal insulin lasts for around 5 hours in the body.
So say an injection at 1, then one at 3 - some of the one ‘clock injection is still working. So stacking insulin in this way may lead to later lows.

Reactions: Triscornia

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Agree with Diakat. Watch out for insulin still active but otherwise it doesn't matter how often you inject. Compare with a pump: that drizzles insulin all day.
I inject anywhere between 4 and 12 times a day, not counting my long acting.

Reactions: Triscornia

Triscornia

I wish I knew how to post photos so I could show I his chart. No good on technology.
Anyways let me see we had dinner at 7.30 he injected 1.5 his level was 170 at that time. I checked him at 9pm and he went up to 260 he then had .5 unit more and now he is at 306 and going sideways not moving and it’s been over 2 hours. It should start to go down now surely? They stopped his basal as he didn’t need it.

Thank you for replying. I am fretting here.
Sorry can I just ask you. I know the dangers of going low but not high and what is too high?
I know I should know the answers as all I do is read about it.

Triscornia

I don’t know what to do he has never been above 300 before. Is this dangerous should I wake him.
Anyone there please?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Is he carb counting for his insulin units?

I also agree there is no limit. The aim is to cover with enough insulin but to remember exercise can reduce the level of need. Stress too can influence, either way.

It comes with experience as too how your son uses up his insulin. We are all different.

Triscornia

Yes we all do the carb counting and normally pretty accurate. I don’t know why so high tonight and not moving. Is it dangerous?should I be worried as I am right now?

Triscornia

I also agree there is no limit. The aim is to cover with enough insulin but to remember exercise can reduce the level of need. Stress too can influence, either way.

It comes with experience as too how your son uses up his insulin. We are all different.

Thanks for replying sorry forgot

Triscornia

Thanks for replying

Reactions: Antje77

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I don’t know what to do he has never been above 300 before. Is this dangerous should I wake him.
Anyone there please?

Where are you located? (Country). The short/medium term danger of high blood sugars is a thing called diabetic ketoacidosis. (DKA). As an adult, I wouldn't be worried about a blood sugar of 300 (17 in mmol/L) unless it went on for days, but I have basal insulin in my system.

Has your doctor talked about testing for ketones? (Basically, high blood sugar plus ketones is when you run a risk of DKA.)

If you were in the UK I'd tell you to ring 111 just for reassurance, do you have a number you can phone?

Triscornia

Where are you located? (Country). The short/medium term danger of high blood sugars is a thing called diabetic ketoacidosis. (DKA). As an adult, I wouldn't be worried about a blood sugar of 300 (17 in mmol/L) unless it went on for days, but I have basal insulin in my system.

Has your doctor talked about testing for ketones? (Basically, high blood sugar plus ketones is when you run a risk of DKA.)

If you were in the UK I'd tell you to ring 111 just for reassurance, do you have a number you can phone?

Thanks for replying. No we live in France.
Sorry but is basal the night time injection? If it is he only took it for a couple of weeks as he didn’t need it. His body is still producing insulin so some days he is so low he doesn’t need insulin.
Thanks for reassuring me as I was worried about the level over 300 as this is a first.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
How are you both this morning?
Another thing to keep in mind (not wanting to overwhelm you) is that the type of food can affect how quickly the carbs are absorbed. This may explain some of what you saw. The fat in the croissant may have slowed carb release.
UK advice is to test for ketones if two tests are over 14.

Triscornia

How are you both this morning?
Another thing to keep in mind (not wanting to overwhelm you) is that the type of food can affect how quickly the carbs are absorbed. This may explain some of what you saw. The fat in the croissant may have slowed carb release.
UK advice is to test for ketones if two tests are over 14.

Good morning. Well at 3am he was at 283 then at 5 am he was 199 and at 7 am he was normal at 180.
I thought you just test for ketones if you use pump, he uses the pen.
I guess it was the croissant as he had sushi before for dinner and all was ok. I will give no carbs tonight and see if we can get back to normal. I was told he would put on weight once he started treatment (40kilos and 170 tall) but no sign as yet that is why I don’t want to cut out the carbs.
Thank you so much for responding, it really helps to have support. I am a very nervous mother but I start a new job next month so I hope I can stop fixating on diabetes and just get on with it.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
You are a mum, it's normal to worry!
I use MDI (pen) and have to test for ketones if high for longer periods.
There is no reason for your son to cut carbs, and yes as things even out his weight should come back on.
Starting your new job may help you have another focus and him with getting to grips with control himself.
Feel free to post any time, people here know how emotionally draining this can be.

Triscornia

You are a mum, it's normal to worry!
I use MDI (pen) and have to test for ketones if high for longer periods.
There is no reason for your son to cut carbs, and yes as things even out his weight should come back on.
Starting your new job may help you have another focus and him with getting to grips with control himself.
Feel free to post any time, people here know how emotionally draining this can be.

Thanks a million. Really appreciate your time to respond. Have a lovely day.