Kidney transplant and NODAT

Katetee50

hi everyone,
I have poly cystic kidney disease and was incredibly lucky to receive a kidney transplant in 2014. One of the downsides of transplant being the immunosuppressive meds and steroids can cause diabetes and i was diagnosed a few months after transplant. I was given insulin for about a year and then changed to Linagliptine. I had pretty decent results for a couple of years but have had to change to Trulicity injections since last August as my results were climbing. I eat a very low carb diet but it makes very little difference to my results. Just saying hello and wondering if anyone else was in my situation or could offer words of advice.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Could you tell me what NODAT stands for , please? Sorry I can't help but I'm sure others will be along shortly to offer advice. I know there is a transplant recipient among our T1 members so will tag @Grant_Vicat
for you.

Have a wander around the forum and ask as many questions as you like.

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
hi everyone,
I have poly cystic kidney disease and was incredibly lucky to receive a kidney transplant in 2014. One of the downsides of transplant being the immunosuppressive meds and steroids can cause diabetes and i was diagnosed a few months after transplant. I was given insulin for about a year and then changed to Linagliptine. I had pretty decent results for a couple of years but have had to change to Trulicity injections since last August as my results were climbing. I eat a very low carb diet but it makes very little difference to my results. Just saying hello and wondering if anyone else was in my situation or could offer words of advice.
Hi @Katetee50 and welcome to this fantastic forum. Ironically it was type 1 diabetes (for 54 years) which caused kidney problems even as a teenager. Thus I had a kidney/pancreas transplant in August 2013. Clearly diabetes is a possible side-effect of which I had no prior knowledge. Sadly I can't offer you advice on what adjustments/changes you might make to your regime because I am unfamiliar with both Linagliptine and Trulicity. I was on a very primeval treatment from 1959 -2013, which ended with Actrapid and Monotard mixed in a syringe! I would guess that people in your situation are somewhat rare, which is frustrating and unhelpful. I hope the right person will soon be alerted to your need. In the meantime I wish you the very best of luck and a positive change in your fortune.

Reactions: Guzzler and michita

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Ah thanks, I didn’t realise that. Thanks so much for replying
One thing I forgot to mention: It might be an idea to contact your transplant department - there should be a list of phone numbers for the secretaries for each nephrologist/surgeon. They might be able to tell you (not by name of course) whether any of their transplant patients have since become diabetic. Are you a member of any kidney patient association? They could help you at least get through to any who share your experience.