Carbs in Celeriac

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, diabetes!
Sorry to hijack the thread, I was wondering what celeriac tastes like? I'm missing potatoes and I'm told celeriac is a good substitute?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Sorry to hijack the thread, I was wondering what celeriac tastes like? I'm missing potatoes and I'm told celeriac is a good substitute?

It tastes a bit like celery, but more creamy. I don't like celery but love this stuff! Its very versatile....boil it, like you do swede then mash with butter and pepper, use it as a topping for cottage pies etc , roast it, make chips with it, grate it and use it raw in salads. Just like potato...it'll fill you up! It has absolutely no effect on my bg. Try it for yourself and see ;)

Reactions: 2 people

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, diabetes!
It tastes a bit like celery, but more creamy. I don't like celery but love this stuff! Its very versatile....boil it, like you do swede then mash with butter and pepper, use it as a topping for cottage pies etc , roast it, make chips with it, grate it and use it raw in salads. Just like potato...it'll fill you up! It has absolutely no effect on my bg. Try it for yourself and see ;)

Well I love celery so hopefully I'll like celeriac too! I'm going to get some tomorrow, thanks :)

Reactions: 2 people

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Many Keto people eat Celeriac. I have never tried it but want to. Can anybody tell me how its tastes? Meaning is it a strong flavour or mild..I have heard people sometimes add nutmeg to it.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't like celery but love celariac chips crispy from the air fryer. Very mild flavoured so will take all manner of spices etc.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nice and mild, and fine to eat both as chips and mash at 2.3g carbs per 100g. I use it mashed and mixed with grated parmesan and nutmeg as a topping for fish pie, and you can also eat it raw grated with mayo and diced gherkins or cornichons, great with smoked trout and salad leaves. My husband used to make pan fried chips for me which were always soggy, but I've got a little halogen cooker no so maybe will try some in that.

I think its only possibly disadvantage is is tough lumpy skin which can take a bit of effort to penetrate and remove.

Robbity

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Kalobe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The highs and lows
So either 3. 7 or 20 per 100g !!? Does anyone actually know?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Watch out for sites which include the 'fiber' in the carb count - that often is the source of confusion.
Celeriac certainly acts on me far more like a low carb food, at about 4 percent, than anything higher.