How can I stop dawn phenomenon?

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Or is it something I just have to live with and it will sort itself out in time?
I was diagnosed in Jan 19 with an Hba1c of 95 on diet only. For the first couple of weeks I didn't get DP and was doing great but now I get it most days and it makes my levels higher, sometimes all day! I went to bed with a reading of 7.0. Fbg was 7.1 for breakfast I had a coffee with creme and 100g of creme fraiche (trying to eat something to stop dp in its tracks) but before lunch I had a reading of 7.6 had scrambled egg with 2 high meat % sausages and a bit of ketchup with no added salt or sugar 2 hours after lunch I'm 6.8 so it buggers my levels up, it's not the first time I've had a reading lower after a meal than before!
I've tried just having a coffee with cream or bulletproof coffee for breakfast but I still get dp I've tried eating a good breakfast which seems to delay the dp but I get it later in the day! :banghead: is there anything else I could try to stop it or have I just got to bide my time?
Tia.

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
is there anything else I could try to stop it or have I just got to bide my time?

It's such a bother isn't it? I've found that fasting has helped to shunt mine down quite a bit, especially doing OMAD but only do that sort of thing if you're comfortable with it. It takes a little while, some are more prone than others and sometimes it does take a LOT of time to flush the excess glucose from the system. May be worth having a proper breakfast and skipping lunch? Alternatively you may want to look at your protein intake. I really hope you find a solution soon :(

Reactions: Starfish18

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's such a bother isn't it? I've found that fasting has helped to shunt mine down quite a bit, especially doing OMAD but only do that sort of thing if you're comfortable with it. It takes a little while, some are more prone than others and sometimes it does take a LOT of time to flush the excess glucose from the system. May be worth having a proper breakfast and skipping lunch? Alternatively you may want to look at your protein intake. I really hope you find a solution soon :(
I get quite hungry, that's why I try and have something. I do like the idea of fasting eventually. i once had a good breakfast and just had a bulletproof proof coffee for lunch as I wasn't that hungry and by dinner time I was starving! :(
I don't think I eat enough protein so don't think it's that! Though it has crossed my mind
Thank you for your reply :)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
If you find a way then please let me know!! After several years of low carbing mine still keeps on rising until midday or until I eat enough fat and protein. It was even still kicking in on the fourth day of my recent fast (although it wasn't such a steep rise).

The combinations of fat and protein that stops it in its tracks (for me) are a breakfast of 2 eggs and 4 rashers of streaky bacon OR kippers with butter and buttery creamy scrambled eggs. My main problem is that I am not really a breakfast kind of person.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I struggle with dawn phenomenon - one day last week I wasn't hungry at breakfast and after testing 5.3 I thought oh that's ok won't bother I'll just have my usual black coffee - tested before lunch 3 hours later and I was 9.6! - I was floored as I've haven't seen that type of number for at least 8 years! - I ate my lunch and 1 hour later was back in the low 5s - I'm not prepared to let my bs do that so now even when I'm not hungry I still eat a bit of something - either a bit of frittata or a 2 egg omelette fried in butter.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Dawn Phenomena (aka Liver dump) is a necessary process. Without dp we wouldn't wake up. It supplies us with energy enough to start our day after the fasting (during sleep). In T2 our livers may have been used to splurging too much glucose for too long because of insulin resistance. So, for some people it just takes time, time to lose the fat in and around the liver that promotes insulin resistance and time for the liver to get used to the changes that come with the benefit of lowering carbs whilst raising fats.

A liver dump can happen at any time during the day or night. The body knows (or thinks it knows) when it requires glucose. FBGs are almost always the last to fall. Have patience, improvements will come.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Or is it something I just have to live with and it will sort itself out in time?
Time is a great healer of DP... took over 6 months for mine to get down to rest of the day levels.. try not to stress over it as that will just make it worse!

Reactions: dNZ

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Time is a great healer of DP... took over 6 months for mine to get down to rest of the day levels.. try not to stress over it as that will just make it worse!
Thank you ill try not to stress about it too much then

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dawn Phenomena (aka Liver dump) is a necessary process. Without dp we wouldn't wake up. It supplies us with energy enough to start our day after the fasting (during sleep). In T2 our livers may have been used to splurging too much glucose for too long because of insulin resistance. So, for some people it just takes time, time to lose the fat in and around the liver that promotes insulin resistance and time for the liver to get used to the changes that come with the benefit of lowering carbs whilst raising fats.

A liver dump can happen at any time during the day or night. The body knows (or thinks it knows) when it requires glucose. FBGs are almost always the last to fall. Have patience, improvements will come.
Thank you I'll try not to worry about it too much then i guess my body has a lot of repairing to do

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I struggle with dawn phenomenon - one day last week I wasn't hungry at breakfast and after testing 5.3 I thought oh that's ok won't bother I'll just have my usual black coffee - tested before lunch 3 hours later and I was 9.6! - I was floored as I've haven't seen that type of number for at least 8 years! - I ate my lunch and 1 hour later was back in the low 5s - I'm not prepared to let my bs do that so now even when I'm not hungry I still eat a bit of something - either a bit of frittata or a 2 egg omelette fried in butter.
It's reassuring to read that others go through the same thing

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you find a way then please let me know!! After several years of low carbing mine still keeps on rising until midday or until I eat enough fat and protein. It was even still kicking in on the fourth day of my recent fast (although it wasn't such a steep rise).

The combinations of fat and protein that stops it in its tracks (for me) are a breakfast of 2 eggs and 4 rashers of streaky bacon OR kippers with butter and buttery creamy scrambled eggs. My main problem is that I am not really a breakfast kind of person.
Thank you it's reassuring that others go through the same thing

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had dawn phenomenon at first, and I still suffer liver dump if I don’t eat regularly. I know a lot of type 2 use fasting but my liver is way too helpful, or so it thinks! I notice that if I’m late with a meal and start getting peckish then my blood sugar will start to rise, not to levels considered diabetic anymore but a significant rise from those I expect.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
ermmmm @Starfish18 I have read your post over and over again. I can't see any signs of DP? Am I missing a reading?

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
ermmmm @Starfish18 I have read your post over and over again. I can't see any signs of DP? Am I missing a reading?
My fbg was 7.1 and before lunch 5 hours later I was 7.6 is that not due to DP? Yesterday my bg before lunch was 8.5 up from a fbg of 7.2 though I didn't mention that before.

Reactions: porl69

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had dawn phenomenon at first, and I still suffer liver dump if I don’t eat regularly. I know a lot of type 2 use fasting but my liver is way too helpful, or so it thinks! I notice that if I’m late with a meal and start getting peckish then my blood sugar will start to rise, not to levels considered diabetic anymore but a significant rise from those I expect.
You and me both, my liver seems to be way too helpful too I get a rise if I'm late eating. Here's me thinking my levels should be coming down and my meter tells me otherwise

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
My fbg was 7.1 and before lunch 5 hours later I was 7.6 is that not due to DP? Yesterday my bg before lunch was 8.5 up from a fbg of 7.2 though I didn't mention that before.
OK.....But a 0.5 rise is not huge! I would get that for looking at a piece of chocolate
Nice dog by the way

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK.....But a 0.5 rise is not huge! I would get that for looking at a piece of chocolate
Nice dog by the way
No, atm I'm lucky I've never had too much of a huge rise, well, one I've caught anyway. Ha ha I try not to look at chocolate any more lol
Thank you I have 2 beagles