pre-diabetes, fasting blood sugars.

• Thread starter catherinecherub
  • Start Date

Katiesgran

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Those are impressive numbers, a question, are you prediabetic? Plus, what is your current A1C ?
Hi hope you can maybe help.
I am T2 diabetic for man6 years. Recently I became aware that my husband was drinking a lot and going to the toilet during the night quite a lot.
Checked his bloods for last 8 weeks and fasting blood sugars have been between 5.7 and 6.7, even after going on diet and losing a stone in weight.
Can I ask why you were tested in the first time, why you were diagnosed pre diabetic and what advice and support you received your diagnosis. When my husband showed GP his results, was not concerned at all and in f@ct did not even acknowledge them. Would welcome comments from any forum members

PreDiet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am T2 diabetic for man6 years. Recently I became aware that my husband was drinking a lot and going to the toilet during the night quite a lot.
Checked his bloods for last 8 weeks and fasting blood sugars have been between 5.7 and 6.7, even after going on diet and losing a stone in weight.
Can I ask why you were tested in the first time, why you were diagnosed pre diabetic and what advice and support you received your diagnosis. When my husband showed GP his results, was not concerned at all and in f@ct did not even acknowledge them. Would welcome comments from any forum members
Sorry for not replying sooner just to say -I think it would be wise to check more than just diabetic status for your other half , get more checks done as other illness apparently can cause pre-diabetic symptoms . My pre-diabetes was found as I have many check ups due to a prior illness in 2003 , the results vary from season to season , so now I'm on an ICS Wellbeing course for pre-diabetics . Hope you and your husband are well :) Pre-Diet :D

P.S. Are you on a low carb plan ? Does it work well? (I'm struggling) :coldfeet:

Katiesgran

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry for not replying sooner just to say -I think it would be wise to check more than just diabetic status for your other half , get more checks done as other illness apparently can cause pre-diabetic symptoms . My pre-diabetes was found as I have many check ups due to a prior illness in 2003 , the results vary from season to season , so now I'm on an ICS Wellbeing course for pre-diabetics . Hope you and your husband are well :) Pre-Diet :D

P.S. Are you on a low carb plan ? Does it work well? (I'm struggling) :coldfeet:
Hi thanks for your reply. I have tried low carb and keno but seem to plateau within couple of weeks. My problem is that my bg swings massively. Never really bad but high enough to be a worry.
On the other hand my husband has been following keto pretty strictly bloods normally high fives low sixes fasting, yet doctor not even questioning it. I feel he is probably pre diabetic. Are other gps more proactive or is this par for the course?

Vino lad

Started this journey on 1st March at 6.3 as per my GP test,,immediately went on low carb diet and ceased boozing .
Tested in the local pharmacy on 8th March and was 6.0 ,on the 12th March had my recall test by GP ,got a result of 5.8 .

Continued my approach of trying to eliminate sugar and staying of alcohol,test today on 28th March was ......5.8.

I was a bit disappointed,didn't expect to see a dramatic drop but 5.6 would have been nice.
Will keep up trying to reduce sugar but will resume moderate drinking and buy a meter.

Reactions: Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Welcome to the forum @Vino lad. You shouldn't be disappointed your bg test was 5.8 yesterday. I assume that was a pharmacy test using a bg meter. Those aren't 100% accurate and only give a snapshot of what your bg was at that moment, which can be affected by various factors. The Hba1c blood test gives an average of your blood glucose levels over the last 8-12 weeks.

As for alcohol, I'm guessing by your username that your choice of drink is wine. Red wine is better than white which generally has more sugar, though the drier whites like Muscadet have less sugar.

Reactions: Vino lad

PreDiet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi thanks for your reply. I have tried low carb and keno but seem to plateau within couple of weeks. My problem is that my bg swings massively. Never really bad but high enough to be a worry.
On the other hand my husband has been following keto pretty strictly bloods normally high fives low sixes fasting, yet doctor not even questioning it. I feel he is probably pre diabetic. Are other gps more proactive or is this par for the course?
My GP's are very pro-active , could you maybe try another GP? A second opinion often helps . Best of luck Pre-Diet

PreDiet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
7.2 had a bad day yesterday , the parking and driving were bad , appt went well , then dinner went wrong so take out arrived at the door .

Reactions: Shas3 and Prem51

Vino lad

Welcome to the forum @Vino lad. You shouldn't be disappointed your bg test was 5.8 yesterday. I assume that was a pharmacy test using a bg meter. Those aren't 100% accurate and only give a snapshot of what your bg was at that moment, which can be affected by various factors. The Hba1c blood test gives an average of your blood glucose levels over the last 8-12 weeks.

As for alcohol, I'm guessing by your username that your choice of drink is wine. Red wine is better than white which generally has more sugar, though the drier whites like Muscadet have less sugar.

I am going to wait for another 2months before I get an Hb test to see what difference I have made.
Yes,it was the snapshot test but it gives you some trend information albeit with margins of error.

As for my alcohol consumption,well .........a lot over the years .....however. I am 11 stone and reasonably fit for a 60 year old .

However, I want to die healthy ,so time for a change so I can be the oldest swinger in town in 49 years time ,lol.

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Happy days.

Normally low 5's. Today was a 4.8. Not something I see on Mondays.

Reactions: Shas3 and Prem51

PreDiet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6.5 had Cranberry juice (light) yesterday , surely that shouldn't be a guilty thing !!!

PreDiet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Late afternoon got a 4.7 but three hours after spag bol was 7.8 should I worry? ( there was only 50g pasta and I make the sauce myself with no sugar) . :arghh::bigtears::spitoutdummy:

Reactions: Prem51 and Pasha