How were you diagnosed

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
just curious about any weird and wonderful diagnosis scenarios?

For my part I was diagnosed seconds before a big toe amputation due to rampant infection of open wound. The bright spark anaesthetic realised that 12 hrs Nbm for the operation afforded chance for fasting test.

T2 confirmed to me whilst being stretchered back to the ward.

Lost a toe but gained a metformin script!!!!!!

July 2018

M

Member496333

Rampant retinopathy discovered by an optician.

Very sorry to hear about your toe! That must have been extremely traumatic :(

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a routine health check, being a pensioner. Before I had any results I had an outpatients appointment with an oncologist. She looked at her screen and said - Oh, I see you are diabetic. I replied that I wasn't. She advised me to contact my GP surgery saying she was an oncologist, not an endocrinologist so couldn't discuss it. I did contact the surgery and was given an appointment to discuss my health check results with a nurse. She confirmed the diagnosis. I had zero symptoms and was gobsmacked.

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Took myself to hospital one night after advice from111 suspecting appendicitis, hospital diagnosed a gall bladder infection and referred me back to my doctor to arrange scans for gall stones. Scans actually revealed NAFLD so bloods were then done from which I was diagnosed diabetic

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Dead boring here. Diagnosed after a routine MOT.

I have thought recently that there was only one reason for the MOT and that was because the locum GP who ordered the tests noticed that I wasn't on a statin. But that is my nasty suspicious mind for you.

Swiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Routine MOT. Hba1c was 143 but I wasn't told about it until 20 months later when I visited my GP after injuring my shoulder. He wasn't my GP for very long after that.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Tvfm

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I Had a vasectomy (day case) , everything went fine, woke that night being sick everywhere raging temp and red hot red patch on leg, put it down to the general anashtetic, Dr thought otherwise! Shipped off back to hospital with cellulitis and chucked on a drip for 3 days, and casually told by Dr there my diabetes was partially to blame... News to me

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Massive bout of thrush before a holiday got me to the clinic after said holiday, pee test revealed glucose and then went to my GP where I was diagnosed fully.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Went for blood tests due to hair loss. No symptoms (or nothing that couldn’t be easily attributed to something else). Not sure who was more horrified; my doc or me!!

M

Member496333

My worst symptom was the neuropathy pain that surfaced when my feet began repairing themselves. Prior to diagnosis it had just just been a numbness that had crept up on me over many years and I hadn’t really noticed it. It’s difficult to express just how painful it sometimes was, particularly at night. Wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy :mad:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Another one through a routine MOT.

Yes indeed, there are many of us. Those of us without any symptoms and no other illnesses that require blood tests, it is possibly the only was to find out. Not many go to the docs unless there is something wrong with them, so no blood tests. I believe that now surgeries (at least in England) are supposed to call in all over 40's that otherwise don't have regular checks for something or other for a full health check every 5 years, or sooner if issues are discovered. My surgery certainly does this. One of the better ideas, and is possibly why we are seeing so many more pre-diabetics.

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I kept getting recurring thrush so eventually took myself off to the docs who organised blood tests and sure enough my Hba1c came back 95 all other tests was OK though thankfully. I was also exceptionally thirsty all the time That's the only symptoms I had, Both symptoms have gone now.if it wasn't for me testing I'd forget I was diabetic

Reactions: jjraak

Muddikins

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Routine MOT. Hba1c was 143 but I wasn't told about it until 20 months later when I visited my GP after injuring my shoulder. He wasn't my GP for very long after that.
I looked for an 'aghast!' emoji but there isn't one so 'Good grief!' will have to do. (it doesn't cover it though)

Reactions: Swiggy

LindsayJane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Housework - hate housework with a passion - and rude people.
@Starfish18 and I are the same - persistent thrush. But I was also constantly tired, thirsty and peeing two or three times during the night. Getting the diagnosis was a reief TBH, at least I know what was causing my problems and can do something about it!

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Starfish18 and I are the same - persistent thrush. But I was also constantly tired, thirsty and peeing two or three times during the night. Getting the diagnosis was a reief TBH, at least I know what was causing my problems and can do something about it!
I agree definitely a relief. Tbh my diagnosis has been a blessing in disguise as being lchf has helped me lose weight and brought my levels down I feel I have more energy too and I don't eat half as much as what I used to

LindsayJane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Housework - hate housework with a passion - and rude people.
I agree definitely a relief. Tbh my diagnosis has been a blessing in disguise as being lchf has helped me lose weight and brought my levels down I feel I have more energy too and I don't eat half as much as what I used to
We could be sisters, you and me. I love my new life!