Chicken Pox!

Aknitty

Toddler has chicken pox as of today. I had it as a child but am I more at risk of getting it twice because of my diabetes ? Nobody will test my immunity until I ring the GP on Monday and am so frightened. Have spoken to 111, maternity triage, the walk in centre and A and E. They all just say I have been exposed now so might as well wait to find out. Am 22 weeks pregnant.

Colin Crowhurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The usual half an answer from HCP's ; perhaps they ought to learn to explain it fully!
From my limited knowledge, if you have been exposed already (very likely!!!) then there is nothing else they can do UNLESS it develops into an "illness" I'm pretty certain that there is no emergency immunisation that could help at all ; the real issue here is the level of fear/anxiety that they have left you with by not fully explaining it.

Good wishes for the weekend and TRY to relax whilst awaiting an outcome.

Reactions: Aknitty

Dark Horse

Extract from a patient leaflet produced by the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists:-

What if I come into contact with chickenpox when I am pregnant?
If you have had chickenpox, you will be immune and there is nothing to worry about. You do not need to do anything. If you have never had chickenpox, or are not sure, see your GP as soon as possible. You can have a blood test to find out if you are immune. 8 out of 10 women in this situation will be immune without realising it. If you develop a rash in pregnancy, you should contact your GP or midwife.
What if I come into contact with chickenpox when I am pregnant and I am not immune?
If you are not immune to chickenpox and you come into contact with it during pregnancy, you may be given an injection of varicella zoster immune globulin (VZIG). This is a human blood product that strengthens the immune system for a short time, although it may not prevent chickenpox developing. It is safe to have in pregnancy. VZIG can make the infection milder and not last for as long. The injection can be given within the first 10 days after you come into contact with chickenpox as long as you don’t yet have any symptoms. VZIG does not work once you have blisters.
https://www.rcog.org.uk/globalasset...ets/pregnancy/pi-chickenpox-and-pregnancy.pdf

Aknitty

Thanks Colin and Dark Horse. Do you think if I have had it before (I have), I am *more*likely to get it again due to compromised immune system? I asked six different health profs today and none of them could tell me if T1 meant I was more likely to be an unlucky one who got it twice?

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I asked six different health profs today and none of them could tell me if T1 meant I was more likely to be an unlucky one who got it twice?

I expect this is because no one knows! If there was a greatly increased risk of having it trice it would be well know, but it is very hard to prove if there is a small increased risk or no increased risk.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you had it as a child then normally you do not get it again - I looked after both my offspring when they caught it and was not infected, their dad had also had it as a child and was not infected again.
Not knowing why your immune system is compromised I can't be more reassuring - but I hope that all is well - I can still remember how miserable the itching was.

Colin Crowhurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
just asked that question in a google search and you CAN catch chicken-pox more than once; no answrr on whether Diabetes makes it more likely.

D

Deleted member 308541

Big bit about the measles upsurge around the world and Australia on ABC news this morning, warning people to get vaccinated against it.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There's no reason for diabetes to reduce the immune system though - what would be the mechanism?