Type 1: What are your HbA1c test results?

KezzWD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
12.1 and I have been struggling for years, absolutely soul destroying when i get the results. Hoping the Libre will help me have a better understanding of what is going on :banghead:

Pexy83

My first post in this forum after following for yearsssssss. 35 yrs young type1 male. Diagnosed 19 yrs ago. Have never been able to get my hba1c under 8..... have teied increasing lantus many times. Ut doesnt seem to make a difference. Really trying to get this number lower... any ideas? Thanks

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My first post in this forum after following for yearsssssss. 35 yrs young type1 male. Diagnosed 19 yrs ago. Have never been able to get my hba1c under 8..... have teied increasing lantus many times. Ut doesnt seem to make a difference. Really trying to get this number lower... any ideas? Thanks

My view from reading different comments from members on this forum, is to achieve good stable bs level/hba1c without many hypos you either need to go low carb (whatever the low means) or get hold of GCM/Libre. Otherwise it’s almost impossible ?

Reactions: Benny G and Pexy83

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Hi, pexy, have you tried pre-bolusing?

When "faster" insulins like novorapid were brought in around 20/25 yrs round about the time you were dx'd, the message from the docs was inject when eating and I think a lot of us still do that.

But these insulins are nowhere near as fast as that.

I'm on novo, and the thing which has made a big difference for me is injecting about 20 to 30 mins before a meal, to give the insulin time to start working before the food starts turning into glucose. Your diabetes may vary, so timing will be something you'll need to play with.

Most of my meals are generally around the 50g to 90g mark. If I took the bolus at the same time as eating, I'd get really high levels, above 10, bumping up my a1c. But if I inject a while before, there's a fair chance that I'll top out at about 7 or 8, and that makes a big difference to lowering a1c.

It's easier to see the effects of this with cgm, but it's still do-able with strips: a bit of intensive testing to figure out whether 10, 15, 20 or 30 mins pre-bolus generally works for you pays back.

Pexy83

My view from reading different comments from members on this forum, is to achieve good stable bs level/hba1c without many hypos you either need to go low carb (whatever the low means) or get hold of GCM/Libre. Otherwise it’s almost impossible ?

Thanks Ive been meaning to try the lowcarb thing for a while. Just got a freestyle libre arm sensor and really seeing what my levels are doing.

Reactions: michita

Pexy83

Hi, pexy, have you tried pre-bolusing?

When "faster" insulins like novorapid were brought in around 20/25 yrs round about the time you were dx'd, the message from the docs was inject when eating and I think a lot of us still do that.

But these insulins are nowhere near as fast as that.

I'm on novo, and the thing which has made a big difference for me is injecting about 20 to 30 mins before a meal, to give the insulin time to start working before the food starts turning into glucose. Your diabetes may vary, so timing will be something you'll need to play with.

Most of my meals are generally around the 50g to 90g mark. If I took the bolus at the same time as eating, I'd get really high levels, above 10, bumping up my a1c. But if I inject a while before, there's a fair chance that I'll top out at about 7 or 8, and that makes a big difference to lowering a1c.

It's easier to see the effects of this with cgm, but it's still do-able with strips: a bit of intensive testing to figure out whether 10, 15, 20 or 30 mins pre-bolus generally works for you pays back.

Hey, thanks for the reply. Im also on novo... just started the freestyle libre arm sensor and really seeing what my levels have been doing. I am going to try injecting 20 minutes before I eat tomorrow and see what happens... thanks for the reply mate

arunemils

Have you tried cannabis oil? Heard it can help in some cases

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey, thanks for the reply. Im also on novo... just started the freestyle libre arm sensor and really seeing what my levels have been doing. I am going to try injecting 20 minutes before I eat tomorrow and see what happens... thanks for the reply mate

Yeah, libre will really help you dropping a1c.

It's got a few quirks, takes a few months to get used to those, and you do need to pay attention to what it's telling you, but once you've figured it out, big spikes start disappearing and things just get smoother.

Couple of books which helped me out with it, both on kindle:

Sugar Surfing, Stephen Ponder

Beyond Fingersticks..., William Lee Dubois

The part of the world I live in decided to give libre to any T1 who wanted it, the docs here are reporting extremely good results, see pic below.

Have fun with it!

Screenshot_2018-09-05-10-41-00.png

Screenshot_2018-11-09-14-58-22.png

PeterHud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just been today to my 2 monthly DN appointment and mine is 46

naseriax

Mine is usually 6.x%
It was 6.4% or 2 month ago (last test) and was 5.9% before that.

Unfortunately i have lots of highs and lows and my low A1C is not a result of a well managed T1D but many lows and highs.

motherT1D

Hi, my son has been recently diagnosed with t1d and thank god for our national health system. Even though we are a poor country, my son has a Freestyle Libre almost fully funded. After a rough month of hypos, we are finally able to deal with the hypers.
Every morning he wakes up with bg lower than 180, I give him his premeal bolus, he eats after 20 minutes, and then his readings are as if he never had insulin, he can go as high as 320. It is so frustrating, because 4h later we have to rush or he will have a hypo (he used to have them, but we can manage now because we lowered the Lantus dose).
His Hba1c is 10.6 and we are very lucky to have him, because when he entered hospital the meter wouldn't work because Glucose was higher than 600.
I am thinking of getting miaomiao so I can stop waking up every hour during the night to check on him, so any feedback is appreciatted.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
4.9 % at my 3 monthly checkup today. Since Oct 2013 I have had a standard deviation of 0.25% in my HB1aC results so very consistent! Now I have I have been using a libre for over 1 year, it proves that these HB1AC results are not a result of frequent hypo's :)

Low carb , high exercise and keeping the weight off is the way to go........................

Last edited:

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi, my son has been recently diagnosed with t1d and thank god for our national health system. Even though we are a poor country, my son has a Freestyle Libre almost fully funded. After a rough month of hypos, we are finally able to deal with the hypers.
Every morning he wakes up with bg lower than 180, I give him his premeal bolus, he eats after 20 minutes, and then his readings are as if he never had insulin, he can go as high as 320. It is so frustrating, because 4h later we have to rush or he will have a hypo (he used to have them, but we can manage now because we lowered the Lantus dose).
His Hba1c is 10.6 and we are very lucky to have him, because when he entered hospital the meter wouldn't work because Glucose was higher than 600.
I am thinking of getting miaomiao so I can stop waking up every hour during the night to check on him, so any feedback is appreciatted.
I would suggest you read the book and e-book of Dr Bernstein's Diabetes solution. It may help you with finding a better way to help your child. It would require you checking his insulin dose against food intake with his doctor/nurse to ensure he is not taking too much or little insulin for that food. dietdoctor.com is another useful source of information. Adherents to Dr Bernstein's approach post at True Grit Type one. You may be able to contribute to questions but like me who have not been on a low carb diet for long, they will not usually allow your to post questions, but you might. by answering someone's post be able to have them comment on your post and provide some information. What your son needs in the way of nutrition to ensure his growth needs would be important. I am unsure of what country you live in and what doctors there think of Dr Bernstein's approach, but as a diabetic on insulin for now some 75 years or so, he is a living example of how well his approach works. Best Wishes.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @motherT1D I can move your post into it's own thread to gain more visibility, as this is a chat thread it may get a little lost here, let me know ?

Carolanne58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Re: What are your H test results?

Hi Darren. By H results, I assume you mean HbA1c? This is one of the key tests and looks at your average blood sugars over 3 months (sort of anyway!) Without wanting to sound picky, this test is measured as a %, NOT in mmol so I wonder if you're getting mixed up? The mmol tests are the one-off blood sugar tests we can do on our meters. It's worth clarifying your results so you can compare properly with other tests in the future and see how you're getting on. My Hba!c was 8.2 when I was diagnosed, but fortuinately down to 5.9 when I was tested 4 months later.
Good luck!
I’m sorry if I’m asking a silly question but I’m confused when the nurse took my bloods it came back 78mmo1mol my reading this morning was 6.0 on my meter is that ok thanks

sue58

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Mayne some months ago was 101 but this time after change from levemir to Tresiba I have got better results and it was 76 . I was delighted I now have to work harder and get it lower but I am slowly winning