When in Rome (LCHF in Italy)

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ciao tutti! I'm not Italian but I'm living here, and I can tell you that you can definitely eat well without a lot of carbs - avoid pasta and pizza of course. There's lots and lots of cheeses, for example. All the bigger stores have "bio" sections where you can find lots of high quality legumes, veggies etc., and there is indeed greek yoghurt - however a word of caution wrt yoghurts... it's really difficult to find yoghurts without flavourings here. So look out for the "carboidrati" levels :)

I can recommend shopping at Pam, Coop and Lidl. Pam is the most expensive one but usually has good quality stuff and a large selection.

If you eat meat then going to restaurants isn't a problem at all. If you're a veggie like me then don't expect it to be any easier than usual :) In general you can find any restaurant you want with whichever cuisine you desire - Italians love all food.
Thanks. I must have missed your post.

Reactions: 1spuds

annie07

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you been yet @annie07 ?

Hi @Listlad, I just got back yesterday! Can confirm it's very easy to stay low carb - most restaurants we went to had a lot of meat or seafood options served with fresh green veg which was more than enough for me. For lunch we usually made our own and I usually bought a multipack of salami and cheese from the supermarket to snack on. I may have indulged in one scoop of gelato as a treat for avoiding all other carby options but that was my own choice and you definitely will not have any problems :)

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Listlad, I just got back yesterday! Can confirm it's very easy to stay low carb - most restaurants we went to had a lot of meat or seafood options served with fresh green veg which was more than enough for me. For lunch we usually made our own and I usually bought a multipack of salami and cheese from the supermarket to snack on. I may have indulged in one scoop of gelato as a treat for avoiding all other carby options but that was my own choice and you definitely will not have any problems :)
Fantastic. Thanks.

Reactions: 1spuds and annie07

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Roughly where did you stay? We are staying in Trastever. Not far from the centre,

Reactions: annie07

annie07

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Roughly where did you stay? We are staying in Trastever. Not far from the centre,

We went cheap and stayed about 40 minutes outside of the city centre in Municipio III. You're right near all the action!!

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We went cheap and stayed about 40 minutes outside of the city centre in Municipio III. You're right near all the action!!
The parents of a girl in my daughters class went there a few weeks back on honeymoon and they stayed opposite the coloseum.

Anyhow thanks for the feedback.

Reactions: 1spuds

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Okay. We got back yesterday. We located a branch of Carrefour supermarket near the hotel that had a good range low carb friendly products. I tended to go for the meat and cheese platters.

annie07

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Okay. We got back yesterday. We located a branch of Carrefour supermarket near the hotel that had a good range low carb friendly products. I tended to go for the meat and cheese platters.

I did the same! Hope you had a wonderful time :)