Out of Keto!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
For just over two weeks, I have had to battle to keep my blood glucose levels in normal levels.
Despite fasting, eating very little, working through the fortnight, which is regular exercise (lots!) My body refuses to stay in ketosis!
Why?
A severe head cold!
Even my fasting levels are averaging 6.3! It has been in mid sevens on a couple of days!
This has had my head all over the place and feeling really rough!
Only armed with paracetamol and a nasal spray, could I try and combat the virus!
I've been deaf in my left ear for ten of those days, I've never been deaf before and had ringing, cracking and pain when I blew my nose, I'm not going deaf when I get to my dotage, headache behind and above my eyes because of sinusitis, nose constantly running, cold, warm, sweaty. Sniffles, snuffles and a share issue in Kleenex.
I can't concentrate enough and had to rely on other people at home and in work. Tired, lethargy, sleeping too much, even my eyes have altered my vision of the world! (Again, just like retinopathy, but not as bad!)
The worst was knowing that whatever I tried, wouldn't get me back into ketosis, mainly because of the high temperature, only a few points above normal temperature, kept raising my bloods!
I still feel dreadful, but getting better! The weather is not helping!
Gonna start a longer fast on Sunday, when I'm off work!
Being out of normal blood glucose levels is horrible!
I hate it!

What's your worst experience, since getting good control of your blood glucose levels?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope you feel better soon. Is it wise to mess with your metabolism when your body is fighting such a nasty virus? I am referring to fasting and eating very little. You need strength to fight this. Getting rid of this virus, in my opinion, is better than trying to stay in ketosis. Once better you can concentrate on getting back.

Reactions: Lamont D

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been deaf in my left ear for ten of those days,
Have you had yourself checked out for an ear infection? I used to get them as a kid completely blocked ears and really painful.. took antibiotics to clear it. I used to get them annually in my early teens. Get well soon!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a very similar cold virus earlier this year, and that also affected an ear. I just rode it out, although the whole episode was awful, and it all ended in a cough. There was no infection in the ear, it was just complaining about the virus. A few days with olive oil drops helped a lot.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hope you feel better soon. Is it wise to mess with your metabolism when your body is fighting such a nasty virus? I am referring to fasting and eating very little. You need strength to fight this. Getting rid of this virus, in my opinion, is better than trying to stay in ketosis. Once better you can concentrate on getting back.
My metabolism is so used to fasting and eating very low carb that if I started to relent on the amount I eat, fast, that would escalate the blood glucose levels and would start the rollercoaster ride of fluctuating blood glucose levels, that us RH ers have to avoid.
A little control is better than none!
Isn't there an old wives tale that you starve a cold and feed a flu or something similar.
Have you had yourself checked out for an ear infection? I used to get them as a kid completely blocked ears and really painful.. took antibiotics to clear it. I used to get them annually in my early teens. Get well soon!
Yes, I have, no infection mate!
Just sinusitis, which is getting better slowly but surely. Feeling better today, should be okay next week, this morning readings are just within normal levels now, 5.8 fasting and 5.7 before noon!

Best wishes

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Isn't there an old wives tale that you starve a cold and feed a flu or something similar.

The old wives tale is the other way round. Feed a cold and starve a fever. However the new tale is feed a cold and feed a fever. :)

As long as you are getting better, that is all that matters.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The old wives tale is the other way round. Feed a cold and starve a fever. However the new tale is feed a cold and feed a fever. :)

As long as you are getting better, that is all that matters.

How can you eat when you feel awful??
But I get it!:***::rolleyes:

Reactions: Bluetit1802