T2 - extreme stress and illness

nannoo_bird

Hi. I have T2. In January my husband was diagnosed with cancer and we have had a nightmare 3 months. He is now doing well, but we are by no means out of the woods. My diet went to pot during this time, although I kept a constant check on my bloods. The stress has been enormous. Three days ago I started to feel ill and the following day i could hardly move. I had severe upper abdominal bloating, overall aches and weakness, flipping between feeling hot and having chills, a constant headache, dizziness, a bitter taste, and although the bloating has subsided but I now have an ache between my shoulder blades on top of the rest which is preventing me from sleeping. Any thoughts? Many thanks for any suggestions.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Many thanks for any suggestions.

Can I strongly suggest that you urgently see a doctor. Meanwhile, what are your blood sugars and ketones like? remember that not all illnesses have to be diabetic related.

Good luck.

ps I love your Vermeer avatar.

Gran25

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So sorry to hear about the awful time you and your husband are going through. It's not uncommon to fall apart when things settle down after such a time. You have been strong for him for a long time and likely not paying as close attention to your own health and well being. It's also possible that your symptoms have nothing to do with your T2 or stress and could be of significant concern...long story short- go see your doctor.

Reactions: kitedoc

nannoo_bird

Thank you both. 3 a.m. and still no sleep. Tomorrow (today) is Sunday and NO doctors available where I live. Nearest A&E 25 miles away will be heaving with a probable 6 hour wait. What do you think my symptoms could be?

Muddikins

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The best any of us could do would be to guess and that would be dangerous and unhelpful.
Do you have a temperature? That, at least would suggest an illness which you might treat at home until you can get an appt with a quack. Are you being sick or do you have diarrhoea? If you have all three at once then perhaps dialling 111 would be in order although they are only going to tell you to see a doc or hit A&E.
Hope you feel better soon and very sorry to hear of the hard times your family are experiencing.
I appreciate that this is not the best time to say it but not adhering to your diet and risking diabetic complications isn't going to help your husband or yourself. This is the time to be on the top of your game so that you can do whatever needs to be done whenever it needs to be done.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
If your case is urgent you would be seen quicker in A&E than for a less urgent reason.
Doing some things like checking your temperature now then on the way might be useful but best to get to A&E.
Not point guessing what is happening, seek help as soon as possible.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@nannoo_bird - how are you doing now?

In the circumstances you described last night, a call to 111 is most definitely in order. They will perform a triage process, and where necessary dispatch help to you.

Wherever you are in UK, there will be an out of hours GP around, even if it is a well guarded secret. In our small no-horse-town, they are based in the local cottage hospital which day-to-day deals with older people, and a certain amount of inpatient rehab.

Please see guidance on your symptoms.

nannoo_bird

Bloods have been fine, temperature has been around 36 despite night sweats, had diarhea a couple of times. Muddykins, my husband spent 3 weeks in hospital with a fractured hip caused by a tumour while the doctors argued over the treatment. I travelled 50 miles a day by public transport and taxis over 50 times over nearly 3 months. I checked my bloods twice a day, and kept them low - but I was far too exhausted and emotionally wrecked to prepare a fresh meal. It was the worst experience of my life, and it's not over yet.
I feel better today, but very weak and tired. Unless I have a relapse i will attempt to see a doctor tomorrow.
I do not blame the medical staff in the NHS, but my experience gives me NO faith in getting over the initial stages of getting treatment. We waited 3 hours for a ambulance for my husband, then 5 hours in A&E, despite him being in agony - so there is no jumping the queue. The A&E was like a war zone, packed with maybe 50 gurnies in corridors, the main ward, everywhere. The out of hours doctor will only come if he/she feels it is a life threatening situation. Even tomorrow I will have to call the surgery at 8.30, tell the receptionist what is wrong, a nurse-practitioner will call back and decide if I need to speak to a doctor or not, then I have to wait for a doctor to call me to decide if I need an appointment.
Thank you all for taking the time to respond, I do appreciate it. x

buckmr2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Exercise
Tomorrow (today) is Sunday and NO doctors available where I live. Nearest A&E 25 miles away will be heaving with a probable 6 hour wait.
Go to your local Walk In Centre.
Waiting time is usually minimal and GPs / Doctors there to see you.
I've never had to wait more than 10 or 15 mins when I or anyone I've taken there needed to be seen.
https://www.nhs.uk/Service-Search/Walk-in centre/LocationSearch/663
Good luck to you and your husband.I'm going through it at the moment with my father who isn't expected to make it

Last edited:

nannoo_bird

Go to your local Walk In Centre.
Waiting time is usually minimal and GPs / Doctors there to see you.

Sorry to keep seeming so negative, our local drop in centre has NO doctors, just nurses and the few times I've used them they just tell you to see a doctor.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Any chest or shoulder blade area aching should be checked out @nannoo_bird . So easy to take painkillers and forget/distract your way out of the pain.
Women can have far different symptoms to men.
GET CHECKED OUT. Please.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
The pain between your shoulder blades.... you really must see a doctor as soon as possible. Given that kind of pain I'd personally dial 999.

Reactions: ickihun

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree about seeing someone urgently.
Assuming you are in the UK:
Ring 111
They will assess the situation and despatch an ambulance if they think it is appropriate.
Arriving at A&E via ambulance will result in a quicker assessment than getting there under your own steam.
Please do not dismiss this.
Get it checked out.
Your husband needs you in the best possible health you can achieve, at the moment.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Before you read this, then please take steps to seek medical advice ASAP.

I and my GP thought I might have had a slight cheat infection,and gave me an antibiotic but it got worse and I rang 111 Glad I did, it appears I had 2 heart attacks in quick succession, and the Consultant did not expect me to last the night. Short story my plumbing is shot, and I need surgery

One thing I discovered, which actually makes perfect sense, was that I had very high adrenaline levels due to stress and panic. This immediately stopped my insulin from going into glucose storage mode, so my bgl shot up into the 30's. They tried insulin drip but it did nothing since my pancreas was pumping flat out already. So I had to learn to relax and let the adrenaline drop. I used meditation techniques from my hippie days, and so I am alive today.

So yes stress can seriously disrupt bgl levels if you react with the flight or fight hormones.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Johnny 5 is Alive! Still here thank you. The Consultant has painted a bleak picture for me yesterday. I am waiting for bypass surgery as I have a;readu said, and the current waiting time is 3 months. Trouble is that it is at a remote hospital and they prioitize their own patients from the local CCG. and the waiting list is elastic to say the least. They closed their wards for a virus, and so the backlog is growing. And growing, and not in my favour.

Then the bombshell====> After the op I am to be shipped back here for rehab, and then put on a waiting list at the same remote hospital for follow up surgery. Not only that but this cycle repeats again to have a pacemaker fitted. So the Consultant has told me I am unlikely to be going home this side of Christmas.

Bit of a body blow that. The up side is that my diabetes is still in remission, and I am having regular fasting bgl between 5.1 and 5.8. My evening levels are not so good, being in the low 10's at the 2hr PP However, If I was home I would control much netter, but that is another story yet to be written

Worried, but not stressed, so to come back on topic, I am not suffering any adrenaline rush, so still getting some control even on Hospital Eatwell food.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh heck, Oldvatr
That is a serious blow.
8 months wait? Talk about demoralising.
And 8 months on hospital food... I don't have the words for that!

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Johnny 5 is Alive! Still here thank you. The Consultant has painted a bleak picture for me yesterday. I am waiting for bypass surgery as I have a;readu said, and the current waiting time is 3 months. Trouble is that it is at a remote hospital and they prioitize their own patients from the local CCG. and the waiting list is elastic to say the least. They closed their wards for a virus, and so the backlog is growing. And growing, and not in my favour.

Then the bombshell====> After the op I am to be shipped back here for rehab, and then put on a waiting list at the same remote hospital for follow up surgery. Not only that but this cycle repeats again to have a pacemaker fitted. So the Consultant has told me I am unlikely to be going home this side of Christmas.

Bit of a body blow that. The up side is that my diabetes is still in remission, and I am having regular fasting bgl between 5.1 and 5.8. My evening levels are not so good, being in the low 10's at the 2hr PP However, If I was home I would control much netter, but that is another story yet to be written

Worried, but not stressed, so to come back on topic, I am not suffering any adrenaline rush, so still getting some control even on Hospital Eatwell food.

We need to sort out a visitng rota, with sanity supplies!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
OMG @Oldvatr what an awful situation. I don't know what to say other than I would come and visit you with bottles of Lucozade and grapes if you are anywhere near where I live ;) Joking about the Lucozade and grapes.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh heck, Oldvatr
That is a serious blow.
8 months wait? Talk about demoralising.
And 8 months on hospital food... I don't have the words for that!
I do have the words, but forum protocols prevent me expressing them.....