T2 - extreme stress and illness

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OMG @Oldvatr what an awful situation. I don't know what to say other than I would come and visit you with bottles of Lucozade and grapes if you are anywhere near where I live ;) Joking about the Lucozade and grapes.
Thanks. I do not think my Remission would take to such a rich sugarfest. I am getting away with a 2 slice toast + marmalade breakfast quite nicely at the moment.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. I do not think my Remission would take to such a rich sugarfest. I am getting away with a 2 slice toast + marmalade breakfast quite nicely at the moment.

Bonus! Not all is doom and gloom then. :)

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yeah... but hospital toast... If I was going to indulge it wouldn't be bog standard sliced.
I am rather a captive audience here. The alternatives are porrige, cherios, cornflakes, and weetabix.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am rather a captive audience here. The alternatives are porrige, cherios, cornflakes, and weetabix.

Aren't (slightly grreen, meaning waaaaaay overcoked) strangled eggs an option? I thought they were standard NHS brakfast fare. Over cooking mandatory of course.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Aren't (slightly grreen, meaning waaaaaay overcoked) strangled eggs an option? I thought they were standard NHS brakfast fare. Over cooking mandatory of course.
Eggs (and bacon) are off the menu here. The list I gave above is complete and we have to have one or the nurses get upset. Alternative is digestive bics or sponge cake from the tea trolley

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Eggs (and bacon) are off the menu here. The list I gave above is complete and we have to have one or the nurses get upset. Alternative is digestive bics or sponge cake from the tea trolley

Are you able to walk to the canteen? Bacon and eggs may well be available there. Or are you tied to a low fat diet or risk being decapitated?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you able to walk to the canteen? Bacon and eggs may well be available there. Or are you tied to a low fat diet or risk being decapitated?
Yes I do get to the coffee shop. It is either a Cosatlot or M&S where they just sell crisps, snacks, sweets, and prepacked meals from cookchill that need a microwave which I have no access to. They do a nice line in Danish pastries and doughnuts twists, bakewell tarts etc made on the premises, but no real food at all at either outlet. Very bad policy of the administrators, but there are not even any vending machines for out of hours support
The League of Friends shop does a nice cheap coffee but again it is mainly sweets and snacks and a few sandwiches. Again bad choices for me.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I do get to the coffee shop. It is either a Cosatlot or M&S where they just sell crisps, snacks, sweets, and prepacked meals from cookchill that need a microwave which I have no access to. They do a nice line in Danish pastries and doughnuts twists, bakewell tarts etc made on the premises, but no real food at all at either outlet. Very bad policy of the administrators, but there are not even any vending machines for out of hours support
The League of Friends shop does a nice cheap coffee but again it is mainly sweets and snacks and a few sandwiches. Again bad choices for me.

I bet there is a microwave in the nurse's kitchen by your ward. Have you asked? They certainly had a fridge in the one I was in, plus a toaster, so maybe there will be a microwave?

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Johnny 5 is Alive! Still here thank you. The Consultant has painted a bleak picture for me yesterday. I am waiting for bypass surgery as I have a;readu said, and the current waiting time is 3 months. Trouble is that it is at a remote hospital and they prioitize their own patients from the local CCG. and the waiting list is elastic to say the least. They closed their wards for a virus, and so the backlog is growing. And growing, and not in my favour.

Then the bombshell====> After the op I am to be shipped back here for rehab, and then put on a waiting list at the same remote hospital for follow up surgery. Not only that but this cycle repeats again to have a pacemaker fitted. So the Consultant has told me I am unlikely to be going home this side of Christmas.

Bit of a body blow that. The up side is that my diabetes is still in remission, and I am having regular fasting bgl between 5.1 and 5.8. My evening levels are not so good, being in the low 10's at the 2hr PP However, If I was home I would control much netter, but that is another story yet to be written

Worried, but not stressed, so to come back on topic, I am not suffering any adrenaline rush, so still getting some control even on Hospital Eatwell food.
Wow. @Oldvatr. I'm gobsmacked and for me that's some doing!
I guess choosing another hospital for your op won't make much difference?

Well he are here for you. Even my UK night owl thread might become some use to you if you get bored.
I don't email much otherwise I'd offer you mine to off load on.
Your welcome to message me on here anytime though.
Boy! Sounds like my 3-5 day op admission will be a swift turn around to keep me more active.
I bet you have no energy at mo?

Luckily we both have a chance to get better. Yours monitored heavy but mine is all physical enhancement, no matter what. Humf!
Youre made to rest even though against all your instincts and spirit. I'm made to walk even in huge pain and always in big discomfort. I want to jump and run but all I can manage is a shuffle. I don't think my betablockers help me exert myself, other blood pressure tablets neither.
My spirit is very very willing but like you my body has other ideas and needs.
Keep posting. :)

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow. @Oldvatr. I'm gobsmacked and for me that's some doing!
I guess choosing another hospital for your op won't make much difference?

Well he are here for you. Even my UK night owl thread might become some use to you if you get bored.
I don't email much otherwise I'd offer you mine to off load on.
Your welcome to message me on here anytime though.
Boy! Sounds like my 3-5 day op admission will be a swift turn around to keep me more active.
I bet you have no energy at mo?

Luckily we both have a chance to get better. Yours monitored heavy but mine is all physical enhancement, no matter what. Humf!
Youre made to rest even though against all your instincts and spirit. I'm made to walk even in huge pain and always in big discomfort. I want to jump and run but all I can manage is a shuffle. I don't think my betablockers help me exert myself, other blood pressure tablets neither.
My spirit is very very willing but like you my body has other ideas and needs.
Keep posting. :)
Your journey strikes me as much harder than mine. Although I have had numerous CVE, I have always bounced back from them. This current mishap is the same. I am able to walk talk pass wind whatever, just as much as before the event. The only change I note now is that my diabetes has just about gone. For example I went to the hospital cafe an hour or so ago, had a monster Latte coffee, and a belgian choccie twist, and walked back to my ward. My sugars, taken after climbing two sets of stairs was 8.1 mmol.l. up from my fasting level of 5.6 this morning. Hooray! Something is working well today.

Yes I used to be in BUPA, but my experience with it when I had my first heart attack was such that I immediately cancelled my membership. Not impressed. But doctors insist I am too ill to go home or even get home leave. I feel I am definitely bed blocking.

DawnOfTheZed

Thanks for the reply. Hope you can keep your spirits up. I agree Bupa aren't great but I hoped there might have been some help. Small mercies - the choccie twist? Best wishes

Reactions: Oldvatr