Regaining Weight

AFBowen

Last October I fell an broke my back, thankfully I didn’t require surgery as I had only broken one vertebrae. After spending 12 days on hospital and 2 weeks in rehab and a total of three months in a braceI I lost 5kg, I didn’t really need to loose and am now finding it hard to regain weight. I am back at the gym 3-4 times a week and walk when it at the gym. I need to regain muscle bulk to support my back. Any ideas would be welcome. Thank you.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Last October I fell an broke my back, thankfully I didn’t require surgery as I had only broken one vertebrae. After spending 12 days on hospital and 2 weeks in rehab and a total of three months in a braceI I lost 5kg, I didn’t really need to loose and am now finding it hard to regain weight. I am back at the gym 3-4 times a week and walk when it at the gym. I need to regain muscle bulk to support my back. Any ideas would be welcome. Thank you.

Oh dear. Nasty accident!

Could you tell us a bit about yourself - which type of diabetes do you have, what meds, if any, do you take and what do you usually eat and drink, on a day to day basis?

If you've already been trying to put on weight, what did you try?

Reactions: AFBowen

AFBowen

I’m have been type 2 for twenty years with good control. I was taking 2x1000mg metformin and 3 60g diamicron. But due to my weight loss I no longer take the diamicron. My average readings over a week is 5.2. I eat porridge or toast for breakfast, youghurt or fruit mid morning, lunch varies soup and piece of fruit or salad and chicken. Dinner can be meat and vegetables or curry and nan bread. I am allergic to fish and eggs. I have gain 2 kilos and am now 49.5 . The weight I have gained is fat around my stomach and I need muscle on my arms, legs and back. At the moment I look like a barrel on sticks

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m have been type 2 for twenty years with good control. I was taking 2x1000mg metformin and 3 60g diamicron. But due to my weight loss I no longer take the diamicron. My average readings over a week is 5.2. I eat porridge or toast for breakfast, youghurt or fruit mid morning, lunch varies soup and piece of fruit or salad and chicken. Dinner can be meat and vegetables or curry and nan bread. I am allergic to fish and eggs. I have gain 2 kilos and am now 49.5 . The weight I have gained is fat around my stomach and I need muscle on my arms, legs and back. At the moment I look like a barrel on sticks

AFBowen - I would urge you to be patient. We tend to lose weight from the places we want to keep it, like bosom or neck or face, but gain it in the places we'd rather we didn't - like tummy and bottom.

Give it time. I find it sometimes takes our bodies a little while to work out where weight loss or gain needs to go from or to. Our bodies are clever and provided you eat well, move around as much as your can and get plenty rest, your body will try to look after you.