Sometimes life gives you lemons

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It appears my neurologist is 99percent sure I have myasthenia gravis. This explains why I haven't been able to talk or eat since before Christmas.

I am not exactly happy about this, and now left wondering whether some of my symptoms were not actually down to diabetes.

On the good news front, apparently they will have to stop offering me statins, so it's not all bad news.

Reactions: DJC3

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh Love, I am sorry.
What a blow.
What is your health team suggesting as the next step?
I will tag in @JohnEGreen because he has MG too.

Reactions: xfieldok

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So sorry to hear this, I hope they have a plan in the offing for you, take care xx

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So sorry to hear this. Thinking of you and hope you are able to get some relief. x

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That's an exceptonally sour lemon, xfieldok. And not being able to talk or eat sounds very *****
All the best and another hug from me!

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I see the neurologist next Thursday. His boss doesn't think I need to be an in patient for a week of tests as I have had these symptoms since before Christmas. My GP is fascinated, she hasn't had a case before, my dentist likewise. So I am making people happy.

I don't get my first set of meds until next Tuesday because the hospital didn't have any in stock when I went. The neurologist is not happy about this, but what can you do. They can cause upset tummies so I will take them when they arrive, but if there are problems, I will stop taking them until after the hospital visit. Public transport and bad tummy = major problem.

I have a leg of lamb in the freezer which is screaming my name. I am so tired of scrambled eggs and cheese.

Husband is super supportave and the puppies are taking my mind off things.

You all, of course are great :)

Reactions: Antje77

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have another hug in that case. Is there a reason the lamb can’t be brought out in support of the cause?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have another hug in that case. Is there a reason the lamb can’t be brought out in support of the cause?
I can't eat meat or much of anything really. I am really hoping that the drugs will let me chomp my way through the leg!

Reactions: DJC3

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My GP is fascinated, she hasn't had a case before, my dentist likewise. So I am making people happy.
:hilarious:
I have a leg of lamb in the freezer which is screaming my name. I am so tired of scrambled eggs and cheese.
Is there a reason the lamb can’t be brought out in support of the cause?
If you can eat eggs and cheese, would it be possible to have your lamb finely ground and made into a delicious culinary soft juicy meatball of some kind?
Or part of a stew like meal?
I might be offering stupid ideas, but we don't know what exactly is the problem with eating.
So I hope you'll forgive me if I only added to your lamb chop related frustration by making your mouth water with more stuff you can't eat... :hungry:

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@xfieldok,

So sorry to read this. Have a big hug from me. Hope the medication will help soon.

Last edited:

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
HI @xfieldok, This is like being hit by a whole other semi-trailer !! My heart goes out to you.
I hope the neurologists have given you some advice about when to take this new medication to try to
prevent or minimise tummy upsets!! :):):)

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
:hilarious:

If you can eat eggs and cheese, would it be possible to have your lamb finely ground and made into a delicious culinary soft juicy meatball of some kind?
Or part of a stew like meal?
I might be offering stupid ideas, but we don't know what exactly is the problem with eating.
So I hope you'll forgive me if I only added to your lamb chop related frustration by making your mouth water with more stuff you can't eat... :hungry:
Mincing this leg would be an act of desecration..

Next time you eat something, try this

Take a small portion of food into your mouth. Chewing not allowed. The only way you can eat is to use your thumb to force your lower jaw against the upper jaw.

It's very tiring.

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm very sorry to hear this, my best wishes to you. It is good that your husband is supportive , he will be a great help to you in tackling this new challenge.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I see the neurologist next Thursday. His boss doesn't think I need to be an in patient for a week of tests as I have had these symptoms since before Christmas. My GP is fascinated, she hasn't had a case before, my dentist likewise. So I am making people happy.

I don't get my first set of meds until next Tuesday because the hospital didn't have any in stock when I went. The neurologist is not happy about this, but what can you do. They can cause upset tummies so I will take them when they arrive, but if there are problems, I will stop taking them until after the hospital visit. Public transport and bad tummy = major problem.

Husband is super supportave and the puppies are taking my mind off things.

You all, of course are great :)

I am so very sorry to read your post about your new diagnosis. I've not heard of it before but just googled it and it sounds awful. Big hug coming your way. {{{{ hug }}}}

Many many years ago my jaw froze - brought on apparently by stress so nothing as awful as you're suffering - but I couldn't chew for about six months. I remember living on thick soups, shepherd's or cottage pie, houmous, taramasalata, bubble and squeak, cauliflower cheese and eggs (and other stuff which is high carb like mushed up macaroni cheese).

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am so very sorry to read your post about your new diagnosis. I've not heard of it before but just googled it and it sounds awful. Big hug coming your way. {{{{ hug }}}}

Many many years ago my jaw froze - brought on apparently by stress so nothing as awful as you're suffering - but I couldn't chew for about six months. I remember living on thick soups, shepherd's or cottage pie, houmous, taramasalata, bubble and squeak, cauliflower cheese and eggs (and other stuff which is high carb like mushed up macaroni cheese).
Thanks @Chook I guess you have to go through something similar to appreciate what it's like. My appetite is appalling, I think it is because I only want stuff I can't have. I have mince and stewing meat defrosting, last night it was cauliflower cheese.