Why don't insulin-resistant people experience reactive hypoglycemia?

Catkysydney

Yes, I'm on sitagliptin, 100mg per day!
The only other meds I'm on is Irbesartan for hypertension, aspirin for blood thinning, and a antihistamine for itching at night! My health is good and I don't want to change after so long on the meds.
I have to be careful with meds because of the amount of lactose in tablets, so my aspirin is enterric, the others are fine!
Metformin and other drugs never worked for me, statin's crippled me!
Because my GPS didn't understand my symptoms and of course the misdiagnosis, they assumed that it was my diagnosis of T2, that was the cause of all my symptoms!

I would stop eating anything like pasta, the so called healthy carbs, will still spike you, and what we are trying to achieve is no spikes because that triggers the hypos!

Keep asking,

Best wishes

Hi Lamont D,

Thank you for your reply !!

I am glad that I am on the same medication as you, Sitagliptin !! Because my condition is so similar to yours...

You are on other medicines, but they are not for your Reactive Hypoglycemia, right ?

I don’t think I can take aspirin..., I had Stevens-Johnson Syndrome from Mobic ( Meloxicam ), so I am very careful for NSAIDs. Good thing for me is I can take Paracetamol !

You don’t eat any pastas, I should avoid them as well.. they made my blood glucose high.

What sort of carb do you take ? I am taking buckwheat (instead of rice) with rice substitute ( made from konjac, which is a carbohydrates but no calories ) for the breakfast and lunch. This is completely OK for my blood glucose.

You are also lactose intolerant . Are you gluten intolerant as well ? I am.

I sincerely appreciate your great help with your knowledge and experience !!

Thank you very much again.

Best Wishes.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Lamont D,

Thank you for your reply !!

I am glad that I am on the same medication as you, Sitagliptin !! Because my condition is so similar to yours...

You are on other medicines, but they are not for your Reactive Hypoglycemia, right ?

I don’t think I can take aspirin..., I had Stevens-Johnson Syndrome from Mobic ( Meloxicam ), so I am very careful for NSAIDs. Good thing for me is I can take Paracetamol !

You don’t eat any pastas, I should avoid them as well.. they made my blood glucose high.

What sort of carb do you take ? I am taking buckwheat (instead of rice) with rice substitute ( made from konjac, which is a carbohydrates but no calories ) for the breakfast and lunch. This is completely OK for my blood glucose.

You are also lactose intolerant . Are you gluten intolerant as well ? I am.

I sincerely appreciate your great help with your knowledge and experience !!

Thank you very much again.

Best Wishes.

Hi @Catkysydney,
Hope you are feeling a bit better with eating less carbs!

No the other meds are not for RH, I was prescribed them about twenty years ago because of hypertension (not got it!) And for heart health familial! (I haven't had heart problems but it is problematic in my family). I was advised to have only paracetamol for colds, flu, headaches and such, and to make sure that the brand was okay not to raise blood sugar levels. A lot of medicine is full of sugar or lactose, especially cold remedies, I steer clear of those. The same with antibiotics, I have had one only one course of antibiotics since diagnosis and my GP ensured that the meds were sugar and lactose free. The antibiotics were not in tablet form! I can't remember what the name of it was, but it worked and wasn't a problem.

Never heard of that condition, got to be posh with a double barrelled name!!

No pasta! I use to enjoy meatballs and spaghetti, now, it's just meatballs!
Even the low carb pasta variety, is not good for me!

I don't eat much carbs at all, I have learned to eat without even low carbs. I enjoy my protein and salad vegetables too much. I eat a lot of eggs and of bacon, gammon and ham. Roast pork for Sunday or pulled pork! I treat myself with steak once a week, most of my meals have mushrooms and tomatoes. After a good fasting day, nowt like a gammon grilled, mushrooms, onions, tomatoes fried in a frying pan with a small amount of duck fat, I can and do fry with animal fats because for the reason that vegetable oils are not good for me. I was told to avoid them when I was tested for allergies. My body is better avoiding carbs, and I have adapted to being in ketosis as much as possible. I really feel better without carbs!
My last but one GP, told me I was carb intolerant and my endocrinologist couldn't disagree with her!
So, logic dictates that if your tolerance to certain foods is what is making you ill, then why eat it? Intolerance is another word for an allergy, that is why the condition is called Reactive.
Your blood sugar levels react to what you consume!

I wouldn't worry about calories, because if you are low carb, you caloric intake won't make a difference to your weight. Portion size is important, but as you go through the first few months, you will find that low carb and having normal blood sugar range consistently, will effect your appetite, and the need to constantly fill up, is not necessary and the good fats you eat will satiate you more. The low carb forum has ideas and recipes and the best saturated fats to have, which will help with satiety.

I did not test positive for gluten, but because I'm intolerant to most grains including wheat, I can't eat grains, oats are okay for some, but I used to eat porridge for breakfast, because it was part of my dietary advice from my health care providers!
And that is why I was referred because my GP tested me and I was going hypo!
However, and I thought I could have had some gluten free products, until I found out that what replaces the gluten is potato starch. Now potatoes are my nemesis. I have recorded a rise from mid fours fasting to over fifteen mmols after an hour! This was my highest reading for any food, the spud I ate was a jacket potato, once again in my experimental stage, and not that big!

Keep asking, it is necessary to discover why your body is reactive!

Best wishes

Reactions: Catkysydney

Catkysydney

Hi @Catkysydney,
Hope you are feeling a bit better with eating less carbs!

No the other meds are not for RH, I was prescribed them about twenty years ago because of hypertension (not got it!) And for heart health familial! (I haven't had heart problems but it is problematic in my family). I was advised to have only paracetamol for colds, flu, headaches and such, and to make sure that the brand was okay not to raise blood sugar levels. A lot of medicine is full of sugar or lactose, especially cold remedies, I steer clear of those. The same with antibiotics, I have had one only one course of antibiotics since diagnosis and my GP ensured that the meds were sugar and lactose free. The antibiotics were not in tablet form! I can't remember what the name of it was, but it worked and wasn't a problem.

Never heard of that condition, got to be posh with a double barrelled name!!

No pasta! I use to enjoy meatballs and spaghetti, now, it's just meatballs!
Even the low carb pasta variety, is not good for me!

I don't eat much carbs at all, I have learned to eat without even low carbs. I enjoy my protein and salad vegetables too much. I eat a lot of eggs and of bacon, gammon and ham. Roast pork for Sunday or pulled pork! I treat myself with steak once a week, most of my meals have mushrooms and tomatoes. After a good fasting day, nowt like a gammon grilled, mushrooms, onions, tomatoes fried in a frying pan with a small amount of duck fat, I can and do fry with animal fats because for the reason that vegetable oils are not good for me. I was told to avoid them when I was tested for allergies. My body is better avoiding carbs, and I have adapted to being in ketosis as much as possible. I really feel better without carbs!
My last but one GP, told me I was carb intolerant and my endocrinologist couldn't disagree with her!
So, logic dictates that if your tolerance to certain foods is what is making you ill, then why eat it? Intolerance is another word for an allergy, that is why the condition is called Reactive.
Your blood sugar levels react to what you consume!

I wouldn't worry about calories, because if you are low carb, you caloric intake won't make a difference to your weight. Portion size is important, but as you go through the first few months, you will find that low carb and having normal blood sugar range consistently, will effect your appetite, and the need to constantly fill up, is not necessary and the good fats you eat will satiate you more. The low carb forum has ideas and recipes and the best saturated fats to have, which will help with satiety.

I did not test positive for gluten, but because I'm intolerant to most grains including wheat, I can't eat grains, oats are okay for some, but I used to eat porridge for breakfast, because it was part of my dietary advice from my health care providers!
And that is why I was referred because my GP tested me and I was going hypo!
However, and I thought I could have had some gluten free products, until I found out that what replaces the gluten is potato starch. Now potatoes are my nemesis. I have recorded a rise from mid fours fasting to over fifteen mmols after an hour! This was my highest reading for any food, the spud I ate was a jacket potato, once again in my experimental stage, and not that big!

Keep asking, it is necessary to discover why your body is reactive!

Best wishes

Hi @Lamont D,

Thank you very much for your reply !! Your food allergy/ intolerance sounds similar to mine ! So your experience is extremely helpful for me !!

Stevens-Johnson Syndrome is a severe allergic reaction of skin and mucous membranes from some certain medicines. It is extremely rare, 3 in one million people per year !! So most of doctors do not have any opportunity to treat these patients. Very deadly, 10 % of death ratio and 50% of them can recover completely. Others recovered with ailment. It took 5 months to recover for me from that condition. My digestive organs were affected severely, so I am still taking Nexium for my stomach.

I will stop pasta.. even pizza.. pizza was better before but it gets worse...

Buckwheat and oatmeal are OK.

I have to experiment various food, so I can find out which food is OK for me. I don’t have Hypoglycemia at the moment, this is good. But I still have spikes.. so definitely better to reduce carb.

In Australia, we have gluten-free and also sugar free cookies, very helpful !

I love salad, too ! But I don’t use any oil for it.

Your knowledge and experience are extremely helpful to me and others !! I sincerely appreciate your continuous help and encouragement!!!

With Best Wishes

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @Lamont D,

Thank you very much for your reply !! Your food allergy/ intolerance sounds similar to mine ! So your experience is extremely helpful for me !!

Stevens-Johnson Syndrome is a severe allergic reaction of skin and mucous membranes from some certain medicines. It is extremely rare, 3 in one million people per year !! So most of doctors do not have any opportunity to treat these patients. Very deadly, 10 % of death ratio and 50% of them can recover completely. Others recovered with ailment. It took 5 months to recover for me from that condition. My digestive organs were affected severely, so I am still taking Nexium for my stomach.

I will stop pasta.. even pizza.. pizza was better before but it gets worse...

Buckwheat and oatmeal are OK.

I have to experiment various food, so I can find out which food is OK for me. I don’t have Hypoglycemia at the moment, this is good. But I still have spikes.. so definitely better to reduce carb.

In Australia, we have gluten-free and also sugar free cookies, very helpful !

I love salad, too ! But I don’t use any oil for it.

Your knowledge and experience are extremely helpful to me and others !! I sincerely appreciate your continuous help and encouragement!!!

With Best Wishes

Thank you for the explanation of your other rare condition, with the not so less rare RH, you must be one in a billion (ish)! That must be tough on you!
I sympathise, from my personal experience from those around you, family, friends, work colleagues who cannot be aware of how life has dealt the cards you have been given. I believe anyone who has had this type of experience and come through it all, is to be applauded and admired!

Did the condition cause the RH?

From what I have learned from a lot of research, RH is probably caused in the gut, by initially bacterial or an infection. The infection changes the balance of your hormonal response to food, this imbalance changes the way glucose, glucagon and glycogen is used, this lowers your initial insulin response, that triggers the overshoot of insulin because of the high levels of glucose from glucose dumping, this trigger, called an overshoot of insulin is the driver of the hypo.
RH is an after effect of what happens after the infection/ bacteria has cleared up.
Quite a few people who have surgery on the stomach, upper intestines, can get a similar reactive hypoglycaemic condition.
I believe that my problem was that I had the bacteria, heliocobacter pylori!
Then again, I could be totally wrong!

Best wishes

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Almost right...

What most T2D don't realize is that at the point of diagnosis while we have lost our 1st phase insulin response, we would typically still have a delayed powerful phase 2 insulin, but may not be enough to overcome the insulin resistance. Hence we get the high postprandial glucose reading and a drop off after the 3rd-4th hour. And we may still have up to 10 years before we lose all that insulin response as we continue to exhaust our beta cells due to the constantly high insulin demand and high glucose environment.

Hence an insulin lite lifestyle will help preserve and perhaps restore some of its capacity. The high insulin condition is often lost in the current glucose focus narrative for T2D...

gr2.jpg
Forgive my intrusion into this thread please, So what does it suggest about IR if your bg goes high and stays high for 10+ hours or indefinately after carbs?

Very interesting thread btw (25% I understand hehe)

Catkysydney

Thank you for the explanation of your other rare condition, with the not so less rare RH, you must be one in a billion (ish)! That must be tough on you!
I sympathise, from my personal experience from those around you, family, friends, work colleagues who cannot be aware of how life has dealt the cards you have been given. I believe anyone who has had this type of experience and come through it all, is to be applauded and admired!

Did the condition cause the RH?

From what I have learned from a lot of research, RH is probably caused in the gut, by initially bacterial or an infection. The infection changes the balance of your hormonal response to food, this imbalance changes the way glucose, glucagon and glycogen is used, this lowers your initial insulin response, that triggers the overshoot of insulin because of the high levels of glucose from glucose dumping, this trigger, called an overshoot of insulin is the driver of the hypo.
RH is an after effect of what happens after the infection/ bacteria has cleared up.
Quite a few people who have surgery on the stomach, upper intestines, can get a similar reactive hypoglycaemic condition.
I believe that my problem was that I had the bacteria, heliocobacter pylori!
Then again, I could be totally wrong!

Best wishes

Hi @Lamont D,

Thank you very much for your reply !!

I had Hypoglycemia from my childhood♀️, I thought everyone had this condition at that time. When I did not eat food, I got Hypoglycemia. When I did some exercises, I got Hypoglycemia... so I did not aware these ones were Reactive..

I thought my blood glucose was always low, because I did not eat sweets.

I had a hard time when I had Stevens-Johnson Syndrome, but fortunately my GP is very experienced, so he noticed straight away when I had ulcer in my mouth after skin rashes ( blisters ). He gave me very high dosage of corticosteroids to treat that allergic reaction quickly. Then I got better and better... I did not need to be hospitalized luckily. But it was quite scary. My digestive organs were chaotic at that time. But I was relieved that it did not affect my lungs ! I have very weak lungs, I got pneumonia and pleurisy easily. If it affected my lungs, I could be dead... so I still feel very lucky !!!

Lots of my friends told me to buy a Lotto, because I was one in million !

I had heliocobacter pylori and treated it. This may caused Reactive Hypoglycemia....

Thank you very much !!

I always appreciate your knowledge and experience!! Very very helpful !!

With Best Wishes

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Forgive my intrusion into this thread please, So what does it suggest about IR if your bg goes high and stays high for 10+ hours or indefinately after carbs?

Very interesting thread btw (25% I understand hehe)

It generally means one of two things. Either your pancreas does not produce enough insulin, or you are severely insulin resistant. If you are injecting insulin it could mean your insulin doses are incorrect, or you are severely insulin resistant.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @Lamont D,

Thank you very much for your reply !!

I had Hypoglycemia from my childhood♀️, I thought everyone had this condition at that time. When I did not eat food, I got Hypoglycemia. When I did some exercises, I got Hypoglycemia... so I did not aware these ones were Reactive..

I thought my blood glucose was always low, because I did not eat sweets.

I had a hard time when I had Stevens-Johnson Syndrome, but fortunately my GP is very experienced, so he noticed straight away when I had ulcer in my mouth after skin rashes ( blisters ). He gave me very high dosage of corticosteroids to treat that allergic reaction quickly. Then I got better and better... I did not need to be hospitalized luckily. But it was quite scary. My digestive organs were chaotic at that time. But I was relieved that it did not affect my lungs ! I have very weak lungs, I got pneumonia and pleurisy easily. If it affected my lungs, I could be dead... so I still feel very lucky !!!

Lots of my friends told me to buy a Lotto, because I was one in million !

I had heliocobacter pylori and treated it. This may caused Reactive Hypoglycemia....

Thank you very much !!

I always appreciate your knowledge and experience!! Very very helpful !!

With Best Wishes

No worries, if I hadn't explained my circumstances, your awareness of how and why RH can be caused, then the little details of how our bodies work would be guesswork, knowledge and management of our food and how it makes us ill is key!

For the first forty years of my life, other than colds, flu and broken bones, I have never had anything serious health wise!
The first and last time I spent time in hospital, was my fasting test! (Other than visiting!)

How different we were, but not now!

Have you managed to access my blog, yet?

Best wishes.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
It generally means one of two things. Either your pancreas does not produce enough insulin, or you are severely insulin resistant. If you are injecting insulin it could mean your insulin doses are incorrect, or you are severely insulin resistant.
Thankyou for your reply, when injecting my bgs are perfect, if I catch the timing right I can pretty much flatline.

I shouldnt have butted in on this thread, im not RH, I just find IR fascinating and confusing in my case.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thankyou for your reply, when injecting my bgs are perfect, if I catch the timing right I can pretty much flatline.

I shouldnt have butted in on this thread, im not RH, I just find IR fascinating and confusing in my case.

It may be fascinating and confusing, because everyone who suffers with IR, has an imbalance in hormones and how they react to food. It is so individual. And medical knowledge about IR has changed recently, and understanding of it in general health care has not caught up!
Insulin resistance is the one constant in all endocrine, diabetic conditions.
Though it may be different for T1s!

Catkysydney

No worries, if I hadn't explained my circumstances, your awareness of how and why RH can be caused, then the little details of how our bodies work would be guesswork, knowledge and management of our food and how it makes us ill is key!

For the first forty years of my life, other than colds, flu and broken bones, I have never had anything serious health wise!
The first and last time I spent time in hospital, was my fasting test! (Other than visiting!)

How different we were, but not now!

Have you managed to access my blog, yet?

Best wishes.

Hi @Lamont D,

Thank you very much for your kind reply !!

Your words encouraged me a lot !

You have never had surgery, right ? Very lucky ! I had an ovarian cyst and I had an operation to remove it. I also had some polyps in my uterus, then I had a hysteroscopic polypectomy...

Then I had Stevens-Johnson Syndrome... this sounds like I am s busy person for all the medical treatment...

But I am not unhappy.. I am very positive.
I have nice and helpful people in this Forum like you !! I sincerely appreciate!

Do you have your own blog ?

Could you let me know, please ? I will be your follower.

Thank you very much !

With Best Wishes.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @Lamont D,

Thank you very much for your kind reply !!

Your words encouraged me a lot !

You have never had surgery, right ? Very lucky ! I had an ovarian cyst and I had an operation to remove it. I also had some polyps in my uterus, then I had a hysteroscopic polypectomy...

Then I had Stevens-Johnson Syndrome... this sounds like I am s busy person for all the medical treatment...

But I am not unhappy.. I am very positive.
I have nice and helpful people in this Forum like you !! I sincerely appreciate!

Do you have your own blog ?

Could you let me know, please ? I will be your follower.

Thank you very much !

With Best Wishes.

The only surgery was for carpal tunnel, in for day!

If you click on my avatar, you will see options including my blog, click on it and you should have access, I'm to old to click and paste stuff!

Best wishes

Catkysydney

The only surgery was for carpal tunnel, in for day!

If you click on my avatar, you will see options including my blog, click on it and you should have access, I'm to old to click and paste stuff!

Best wishes

Hi @Lamont D,

IMG_6538.jpg

Is that this one ?? I could not work it out how to follow you...

Sorry I am not so familiar this..

Thank you very much for your help !!

With Best Wishes.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @Lamont D,

View attachment 32348

Is that this one ?? I could not work it out how to follow you...

Sorry I am not so familiar this..

Thank you very much for your help !!

With Best Wishes.

No, sorry.

Next to this post, there is a box, which you can put a personal avatar. Or it is a head and shoulders with my username, posts, likes and trophy points.
Click on that, you will have two options, one of them is my blog!

I will ask @Brunneria to put a link up for you as well!
I'm useless at tech stuff, especially on my kindle!

Best wishes