Chinese curry Type 1 diabetes

Vickitub

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m very newly diagnosed with tile 1 diabetes and I’m wondering about what I can eat. I love Chinese curry and ordering out for it. Any anyone help me with what I can do now please.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Are you carb counting and adjusting insulin yet? If so : Lookup carb counts of similar meals online. Match your insulin to portion.

Vickitub

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you carb counting and adjusting insulin yet? If so : Lookup carb counts of similar meals online. Match your insulin to portion.

I’ve no clue how to do that yet. I’m just out of hospital a few days. Thank you for replying to me I appreciate it.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Ok, eventually you’ll reach a point where you are taught to adjust your doses depending on what you eat.
Right now I’m guessing they have you on a fixed dose for every meal. Is that right?

Reactions: Knikki

Vickitub

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah I’m on 4 four three times a day and 12 from the long lasting one at night. I hope to figure this out because I don’t want to drive everyone nuts asking what I can and can’t eat.

D

Deleted Account

With type 1, most people can eat what they want.
However, this is achieved by matching their insulin dose to what they eat.
When we are first diagnosed, it is common to be advised a fixed insulin dose and then given information about adjusting doses later. This is based on the number of grammes of carbohydrates so you will read the term “carb counting”.
If you want to learn about this, you could try the online course Bertie Online.

So, in short, you should be able to eat Chinese curry.

As 90% of people with diabetes have type 2, a lot of what you will read about diabetes treatment such as what you can and cannot eat will be targeted at people with type 2 so not applicable to type 1.

Reactions: Colin Crowhurst

Vickitub

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
With type 1, most people can eat what they want.
However, this is achieved by matching their insulin dose to what they eat.
When we are first diagnosed, it is common to be advised a fixed insulin dose and then given information about adjusting doses later. This is based on the number of grammes of carbohydrates so you will read the term “carb counting”.
If you want to learn about this, you could try the online course Bertie Online.

So, in short, you should be able to eat Chinese curry.

As 90% of people with diabetes have type 2, a lot of what you will read about diabetes treatment such as what you can and cannot eat will be targeted at people with type 2 so not applicable to type 1.

Thank you, I will look those up and study as hard as I can xx

Vickitub

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @Vickitub ooooooooooooooo I love Chinese curry only just recently discovered it.

However it is a tricky on to dose for because of what's in it, in fact I'm not sure what's in it, however rice is also full of carbs so that will effect you as well.

As your so newly diagnosed I would just stay off the curry for a little bit just till you get you head around this T1 malarkey and I also agree with what @helensaramay and @Diakat says :)

I eat tiny portions I could never eat a full meal. I’ll be very careful for sure. I’ll be seeing my doc soon. Thank you so much for the advice. Xx

Reactions: porl69 and Knikki