1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Chinese curry Type 1 diabetes

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Vickitub, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Vickitub

Vickitub Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I’m very newly diagnosed with tile 1 diabetes and I’m wondering about what I can eat. I love Chinese curry and ordering out for it. Any anyone help me with what I can do now please.

• Hug Hug x 3
  2. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Are you carb counting and adjusting insulin yet? If so : Lookup carb counts of similar meals online. Match your insulin to portion.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Vickitub

I’ve no clue how to do that yet. I’m just out of hospital a few days. Thank you for replying to me I appreciate it.

• Hug Hug x 2
  4. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok, eventually you’ll reach a point where you are taught to adjust your doses depending on what you eat.
    Right now I’m guessing they have you on a fixed dose for every meal. Is that right?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Vickitub

Yeah I’m on 4 four three times a day and 12 from the long lasting one at night. I hope to figure this out because I don’t want to drive everyone nuts asking what I can and can’t eat.

• Hug Hug x 3
  6. Deleted Account

Deleted Account · Guest

With type 1, most people can eat what they want.
    However, this is achieved by matching their insulin dose to what they eat.
    When we are first diagnosed, it is common to be advised a fixed insulin dose and then given information about adjusting doses later. This is based on the number of grammes of carbohydrates so you will read the term “carb counting”.
    If you want to learn about this, you could try the online course Bertie Online.

So, in short, you should be able to eat Chinese curry.

As 90% of people with diabetes have type 2, a lot of what you will read about diabetes treatment such as what you can and cannot eat will be targeted at people with type 2 so not applicable to type 1.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Vickitub

Thank you, I will look those up and study as hard as I can xx

8. Vickitub

I eat tiny portions I could never eat a full meal. I’ll be very careful for sure. I’ll be seeing my doc soon. Thank you so much for the advice. Xx

• Like Like x 2
    • Hug Hug x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook